QuittingAdderall.com Forums

New job

ashley6

Ashley,

Your post is so positive and full of hope. You are a miracle of support for so many. I'm so happy for you that the stars are aligning for you; nice boyfriend, picture of ivory snow health, job that you like and steady progress in your recovery. I'm especially happy to hear that you like your new job. Work is such an important part of life. It is often overlooked because we are raised to believe that MONEY is supposed to be THE most important thing when it comes to work. It's a pitfall that many can't avoid, myself included, I'm sorry to say. I look back and see how quickly 40 years in the work force has passed. We don't get do-overs in old age.

I'm just checking in to thank you for the many positive contributions you make to the forums. You have helped me greatly along this bumpy road....the everlasting bumpy road, made a little smoother by your gentle encouragement.

You have even brought me out of hiding. :)

• Like 4

Ashley,

You found the right job at the right time in your recovery process, and found that balance between having enough meaningful work and not having too much stress.  So many people take on too much too quickly after quitting and then they struggle excessively.

I am really glad to hear this new job is working out for you.

• Like 4

I really appreciate the support I've gotten from you three. Quit-once, I couldn't imagine doing this job even a year into my quit, so I agree with you fully on taking your time (I know this isn't always possible). Jon, you have such a way with words, and your post is just so kind. I'm glad you came out of hiding....now, no more hiding! I appreciate your wisdom, and I know I'm not the only one. InRecovery, I want to hear how your work is going....5:20 am sounds disgusting :) I hope it's going well :)

• Like 1

Ashley I love it so much!! I love going into work. I get along real well with the other interns. I really like my team. I feel grateful to be here. My commute is tough but I don't mind it at all because I feel so grateful to have this job . after everything that has happened to me with adderall..after not working for two years..the gap on my resume,,,after being fired in humiliated fashion for going into psychosis....I lost so much confidence in myself and my ability to convince anyone I was capable of being hired.

Anyway it's only been 6 days,.,maybe in a couple weeks I will be saying I hate it here! Lol.

• Like 4

I guess it's not THAT new anymore, but I think about 2 months or something. I am SO glad I took this job. I think I worked about 45-50 hours this week, but I have learned so much....even about life...from my work and my clients in the past couple of months. I think for me, this was so positive for my recovery. It gives me perspective and teaches me to focus on other people more and myself less. While some people might hate the hours of this job, I do not see myself as a 9 to 5 person...not for now, at least. I really think things started to fall into place at the right time for my recovery. I took it easy on myself for a looooong time, but I'm okay with that. I just want to tell those of you that are struggling that it does get better! My motivation is returning! I still think of adderall sometimes, but I'm so grateful for where I am right now after struggling for so long and feeling so hopeless some days. Life is not perfect, but I'm so grateful for where I am today....one day at a time :) I feel like I'm out of the loop on here, and I don't like that. I'm going to make an effort to stay closer to the site...one of my major support systems!

I really hear you on the whole thing about feeling grateful for where we are. We were adderall addicts and now we are gaining confidence after taking it easy on ourselves and it is now paying off.

For everyone reading this, and just quitting, I've learned that taking it really easy on yourself is laying down a foundation for a stable future. Being hard on yourself after you quit is like setting up your house to right away come crumbling down.

• Like 2

I do agree that having like no expectations of yourself (well, as low as possible for as long as it takes) is very beneficial for recovery! People's timetables vary a lot on when things start returning, like any motivation whatsoever. For me, I think it has taken longer than average, but then again I don't like to put timelines on recovery. It can be discouraging if someone thinks they should be THIS far along after THIS long, because it's simply not the case. You are where you are and staying clean from adderall can feel like a job all on it's own. Anyway, Justin, I have a had to be in neighborhoods for work that were my "adderall areas," but then again I'm driving all over the place. There's a house that I'm at two days a week, and there are different cars there almost every time I'm there going in and out of the house. If it's not a drug house, then someone has A LOT of friends. It makes me uncomfortable, but nothing too extreme. You guys are the bomb!

By the way, where's LilTex?! Have I just missed her posts?

• Like 2