QuittingAdderall.com Forums

About to Take the Leap

Perullo

I haven't had any adderall since Wednesday, June 5th.  You are wise to post before you quit...I don't have the energy or brain capacity to type a long post.  Hopefully, I will be able to relate my story and SUCCESS within a few weeks.  I say, Go For It!  I am already finding it easier to get up in the morning.  I don't have to drag my sorry @$$ out of bed and crawl to the pill bottle. 

Still, the weight gain and sluggishness are quite bothersome.  I am having trouble believing I will get through this without weighing 300 pounds!  Hmmm, this is not turning out the way I hoped it would.  My ADD is roaring back without adderall, but I am welcoming it.  Maybe I will remember how to multitask (and not finish anything...).

Godspeed! 

• Like 3

Hey guys welcome to the board. 

The process of getting off adderall is a rocky in the first months.  It gets a lot better but it takes time.  Essentially your brain needs to re-calibrate itself and the best way to help your brain do thois is get lots of sleep.   Take some time and read the articles on this site the more you know about the recovery process the better.  

in terms of quitting at some point you just have to jump off the cliff and build the wings on the way down. It can be difficult at time but also extremely rewarding.

• Like 3

When I quit I didn't work for two years. I just dedicated that time to recovering, I gained weight and I just focused on recovery day like I was in rehab only I was doing my stint in rehab at home. I know it's not easy to do that but I felt I really needed to do that to successfully quit because I had relapsed in the past. I'm back on my feet now but I still feel the residual effects of quitting adderall so many years later if that gives you more motivation to quit now.. When you are quitting keep a REALISTIC perspective on what you should expect from yourself. You chemically altered your brain. It has to recover.

• Like 2

Welcome!!

Keep checking in with your progress. How is it going? 

I haven't quite started yet, but have a target date slated for the beginning of next month.  I'm doing all I can to prep ahead of time so that I basically don't relapse.

• Like 1

I needed to hear this today!

Yeah I think a lot of the longtime members remember this. I did NOTHING for two years except study for a school entrance exam. The entrance exam made me feel like at least I was doing a little something...which I really needed to feel. But there was no pressure involved with doing that. On a lot of days I felt so worthless ... and I was SO worried about how NOT Doing anything would impact my future, how it would impact my resume..but The strategy paid off. I feel I'm I'm a better spot now than I was ever before when I was taking adderall because of those two years of foundation building.

• Like 2

Perullo,

Congratulations on your decision to quit.  When I quit, I quit in my mind long before I ceased taking the pills.  I, too, planned my quit for  a few months and timed it to this time of the year for several reasons.  I really think you have all of the components in line for a good and final Quit - especially that your wife is on board with it and will be supportive of you.

Don't worry too much about losing your job,  People have natural ups and downs in their life.  People get sick, sometimes for the long term, and their work performance suffers.  When I quit, It was on a Friday, and I took the following Monday as a sick day then I came back.  Just have a good story lined up as to why you are sluggish or unproductive, if you think you will need to explain your loss of productivity.  Good luck, I think you can do this.  There are a lot of things to get in order before quitting - like cutting off your supply and getting rid of any stashed pills.  Have you given any thought to these items?

• Like 1

quit-once,

I don't really keep a "stash" of pills, just a bottle in my medicine cabinet.  I take 1 XR every morning, only on work days.  As far as cutting off my supply goes, I plan on filling out 1 more script a couple days before I quit, and immediately flushing all those pills down the toilet.

Why bother wasing money on a script that you're just gonna get rid of, you ask?  Because in my experience, most pharmacies won't let you fill out more than 1 script within a 30 day period.  That'll actually force me to be off the stuff for about a month, without a reasonable chance for failure.  I figure if I can survive without the stuff for a month, that'll give me at least enough momentum to carry through the next one.

BTW - I'm glad you guys liked the quote.  It's a paraphrasing of something that I heard from Larry Winget, who may well be the main reason I'm doing this to begin with.

• Like 2

So it's 16 days until I cut myself off from the junk (I changed my date to July 4th, as that's the start of my weekend), and I gotta say I'm glad I decided to wait a month before taking the plunge.  These past few weeks (both in my life and on this site) have given me the chance to refuel my hatred for the stuff.  Initially I was scared about what it'll do to my career, but at this point, I actually can't wait to quit now.  I'm sure that song and dance will change on Day 1, but for now I'm going to keep building momentum in this direction.

• Like 1