QuittingAdderall.com Forums

A Non-User's Withdrawal Woes

ShackleFree

To all those kind enough to read and share:

Within the last six months, I was introduced to the scourge that is Adderall (MADderall is my private preference). Prior to initiating a relationship with an "Addy" (zero offense intended), my familiarity with it was vague at best. Antidepressants are the only category of psych medications of which I have sufficient awareness, having regrettably swallowed the "miracle pills" from middle school into high school to no avail. In addition to my extreme skepticism based in personal experience, being subjected to my boyfriend's cruel and vicious outbursts has only served to confirm my suspicions that psychiatry is primarily junk science, not fit to even be in the figurative presence of physiologically-based neurology. When he is in the withdrawal state is when the inner demon emerges. He truly acts and speaks as if taken over by a hostile alien presence. During these periods, he has repeatedly started histrionic arguments over small irritants, mercilessly attacked my personality, and thrown various projectile with no amount of restraint. It's become a tiresome Jekyl and Hyde recurring nightmare. No more can I allow this to continue without significant changes on his part. If he is unwilling to seek out nutritional/holistic remedies, I have no other choice but to call it quits. 

Can anyone help me to gain a clearer understanding of their own withdrawal episodes, so I can in turn show him more understanding?

All input is INCREDIBLY appreciated.

-Zach

• Like 1

Welcome to the boards.

That is a tough situation.  That said, I'm affraid all I have to say will neither be new information, nor anything you probably want to hear, but here goes:

I've never heard of anyone going off the rails like that in addy withdrawal.  In my own personal experience, I could hardly muster up the energy to get off the couch most days - let alone throw things across the room and attack my significant other.  Irritability definitely plays a role, but not to that extent.  Kinda sounds like he's got issues that run deeper than just withdrawal.

So what can you do about it?  Unfortunately, not much.  You can tell him how you feel about his actions and behavior and stress the importance of what it all means to you.  And you should.  But at the end of the day, the choice to be understanding and receptive is on him.  If he chooses not to be, then yes, it's on you whether you want to take the abuse (and don't kid yourself, what he's doing is abuse) or "call it quits", as you say.

For what it's worth, again in my own experience, the irritability does die down after a time - but not if you're going back and forth to/from the drug.  You start from the top every single time you quit.  So my two cents: Talk to him.  Read some articles on this site.  Pick a few favorites and tell him it would mean the world to you if he checked them out.  Gage his receptiveness.  Then make your relationship decisions based on his response (if any).  You can't force something like this onto anybody, but you can take control of your own situation.

I hope that helps, and that you get through this okay.  Take care.

• Like 1

I've never heard of anyone going off the rails like that in addy withdrawal.  In my own personal experience, I could hardly muster up the energy to get off the couch most days - let alone throw things across the room and attack my significant other.  Irritability definitely plays a role, but not to that extent.  Kinda sounds like he's got issues that run deeper than just withdrawal.

I completely agree.  I cried (hysterically) when I quit eating wheat (all bread and pasta), but with adderall...I am too tired.  When I am not tired, I am hungry and looking for comfort food.  Maybe there are deeper issues at work?  You don't deserve to be in a relationship where you are abused.  I say, love yourself enough to tell him to shove off!

Good luck!

• Like 3