QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Question for those who have been sober over a year

Searchingsoul9

So i have been clean for nearly one full year.

I HEAVILY abused for 2.5-3 years.

How long into your recovery did you feel significantly better?

Should i expect even more progress or benefits after the one year mark?

Or am i "fully recovered" ? That isn't worded how i want it, but can't think of another way to phrase the question.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I've been clean for almost 19 months. Everyday gets better but there are still bad days. I don't consider myself fully recovered because I still struggle. I too was a very heavy user. I even lost my 14 year career and became a convicted felon due to my actions to feed my addiction. I know in my experience though, the longer I am clean, the better I feel. Congratulations on nearing the one year mark. It is a tough battle. I had many relapses before I fina started my 19 month clean.

• Like 4

I've been clean for almost 19 months. Everyday gets better but there are still bad days. I don't consider myself fully recovered because I still struggle. I too was a very heavy user. I even lost my 14 year career and became a convicted felon due to my actions to feed my addiction. I know in my experience though, the longer I am clean, the better I feel. Congratulations on nearing the one year mark. It is a tough battle. I had many relapses before I fina started my 19 month clean.

Congratulations on 19 months! I am very sorry to hear about all the troubles adderall brought into your life. That's heartbreaking. How long were you using?

I think my turning point came when I started training for the Ironman.  I had been clean for 1 year and 1 month.  I was so incredibly fixated, excited, scared, and in awe of the goal in front of me that I was totally distracted for my obsession with adderall.  Not to mention the crazy insane amount of exercise I was getting.  I felt like superwoman and it gave me a positive goal to focus on. 

Nobody of course has to an Ironman to recover, but I am sure glad I did!  I kind of felt invincible afterwards and had zero desire to return to my old addiction days.  I guess it could be helpful to find something to distract you or a new goal to focus on in addition to your quit.  I didn't plan on the IM curing my love of this drug, but it worked.  I really stopped wanting it after that.  Also, I think a huge part of this was being that I joined a triathlon team.  I had a coach and a brand new support team that inspired me.  I was so impressed and in awe of my fellow teammates.  The support, camadarie, and influence they carried was by far greater than any group I had ever been a part of.  I simply aspired to new levels from being a part of this group. That might be the biggest key in my recovery now that I think about it.  Find a positive healthy support group that encourages you to be your best.  Find the people that inspire you and stick with them! 

Anyhow, that's what helped me more than anything and I wish you the best of luck!

You're doing great!!

• Like 2

I think my turning point came when I started training for the Ironman.  I had been clean for 1 year and 1 month.  I was so incredibly fixated, excited, scared, and in awe of the goal in front of me that I was totally distracted for my obsession with adderall.  Not to mention the crazy insane amount of exercise I was getting.  I felt like superwoman and it gave me a positive goal to focus on. 

Nobody of course has to an Ironman to recover, but I am sure glad I did!  I kind of felt invincible afterwards and had zero desire to return to my old addiction days.  I guess it could be helpful to find something to distract you or a new goal to focus on in addition to your quit.  I didn't plan on the IM curing my love of this drug, but it worked.  I really stopped wanting it after that.  Also, I think a huge part of this was being that I joined a triathlon team.  I had a coach and a brand new support team that inspired me.  I was so impressed and in awe of my fellow teammates.  The support, camadarie, and influence they carried was by far greater than any group I had ever been a part of.  I simply aspired to new levels from being a part of this group. That might be the biggest key in my recovery now that I think about it.  Find a positive healthy support group that encourages you to be your best.  Find the people that inspire you and stick with them! 

Anyhow, that's what helped me more than anything and I wish you the best of luck!

You're doing great!!

What is The Iron Man?

I did a half marathon last May and it definitely helped build some confidence in my mental and physical abilities post Adderall.

I am currently focusing on find a new baking job in Manhattan and dealing with moving and living in a new place where i don't know anyone-so that been exciting and nerve racking.

I haven't felt any overwhelming desire to use since probably 8 months clean. 

I do think about how productive i was on it though and find myself missing that

I do think about how productive i was on it though and find myself missing that

I feel ya. I sometimes have those moments.  But I had them way more often at 1 year.   

This statement scares me though.  Be careful not to put adderall on a pedestal it doesn't deserve. 

Anyway.  I'm at about 25 months and I feel a lot better.  But after one year I don't think there was any major changing point.  Just ups and downs and a nice, gradual uphill towards feeling better and better.  And two years is significantly better than one.  I won't pretend I'm 100% but I'm on my way :)

LilTex the idea of a new goal to distract you is incredible advice!!! Total game changer.  Thank you for sharing :)

• Like 1

So i have been clean for nearly one full year.

I HEAVILY abused for 2.5-3 years.

How long into your recovery did you feel significantly better?

Should i expect even more progress or benefits after the one year mark?

Or am i "fully recovered" ? That isn't worded how i want it, but can't think of another way to phrase the question.

Thanks!

I wasn't even close to feeling fully recovered after 1 year. I felt better at 2 years, and way better at 3 years.
  • Like 3