QuittingAdderall.com Forums

It's not all sunshine and rainbows...and that's okay!

AlwaysAwesome

LOL, I love it!!!!   I had a bad day for most of today, but finally ending on a good note.  I haven't exercised in 3 days, but tomorrow I am back at it.  And yes, I have dirty dishes in the sink I need to clean tonight too.  Ha ha.  :)

Yes, let's see that puppy!!  

Thanks for posting this.  This is so critical that people understand it's okay to feel like crap sometimes.  I have those days on many occasions and I need to get better at sharing when I feel down.  It's normal!  :)

• Like 3

My puppy, Scout, is now my profile pic!  So sweet and tiny...for now.  BTW, another bad night last night.  I am exhausted.  It made me think back to the last time I had a puppy.  There was Adderall to keep me going through the day back then.  However, it made me super quick to snap on the pup.  Scout will appreciate the non stimulant me.   Excuse me while I go get another cup of coffee. 

• Like 2

I know!  It has been almost 7 years since we've had a puppy.  The kids are on spring break and are home with the puppy...ruining her, I'm sure.  In fact, when I got home yesterday, the boy had put the puppy on the counter and she jumped off.  The tragedy was still fresh and he was pretty upset.  The puppy, on the other hand, had moved on to other more interesting things and forgotten the incident pretty efficiently.  Checked her over, she is fine.  The boy has learned a valuable lesson which I hope he will carry with him in life...don't put babies or puppies on the kitchen counter.  Pretty basic lesson learned. 

Scout is a fine young German Shepherd pup!  Every GSD I have ever had or trained (like 6 dogs over my lifetime so far) learns their lessons for life with very little effort.  So be careful with the discipline.  I used a fly swatter one time on my last dog and she would leave the room EVERY time I picked up a fly swatter for the rest of her days.  I went to puppy school with my current dog, yes, the one in my profile pic, and learned that you should never ever EVER hit your puppy.  An independent, strong willed bitch dog, she really tried my patience while she was a puppy and during the last two years of my addiction.  At the time, I believed that Adderall gave me incredible patience while puppy training.  And I ended up with a remarkable dog.  But I would probably have even more patience not being strung out or in withdrawls all of the time. 

Congratulations to you and Scout and your entire family! 

• Like 1

Yep. Today was a pretty dumpster day for me. I seem to be experiencing depressive episodes that come about in a cyclical fashion.. almost in waves. Well, I never fully transitioned out of the depressive mood today.  It all cascaded from when I looked at myself in the mirror and noticed how much weight I gained since quitting. I'm in physical therapy school so I feel this weird obligation to be fit and to "look the part", since I'm prescribing exercise plans throughout the day. But, there are two things that help me when I catch myself in these moods, just in case anyone else reading this can relate and is looking for ways to help:

1) I try to remain non-judgmentally aware of how I'm feeling.. almost like an outside observer looking in. Instead of getting caught up trying to figure out why I feel this way and shaming myself that I should feel different, I just take a moment and observe my current state. If I feel depressed, I kinda tell myself "I feel sad right now", come to terms with it, remind myself that it's a transient state of being and it will pass (it ALWAYS does), and get on with whatever it is I need to do.

2) I remind myself that my brain is in the healing process, and for the brain to heal, it needs to figure out its new normal. This takes altering differing levels of various neurotransmitters, which results in my mood being up, down, left and right. Also, my receptors need to heal, and the only proven remedy is time. 

Anyway.. yay for off days! Part of the process indeed.

• Like 2

Duffman,

I think item #1 is essential for all of us in any stage of recovery.  Only within the last year have I been able to recognize the onset of a depressive mood, take a step back and just take note of it without letting the depression take hold.  the key to combatting depression is recognizing those feelings in the first place.   I am a pill addict so I always try to find a solution from any of these down moments by taking a pill...so I have a toolbox of supplements (st.johns wort, l-tyrosine, vitamin d or fish oil) that I go to if I think they will help.  And if I believe they will help me... the supplements will usually do something until the bad feelings go away.  As long as I can stay away from drugs or alcohol while fighting a depressive mood the problem is short lived. 

In response to item #2, you are spot on with your outlook on recovery.

• Like 2