QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Expectations during withdrawals

BeHereNow

Just found this gem:

One of the best known motivational speakers of the twentieth century, Normal Vincent Peale, once claimed that:

> If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your goal.

The expectations that people have about the future does have an impact on what they will experience. It means that if they are expecting their withdrawal symptoms to be unpleasant they probably will be. Their fear of what is going to happen will mean that they are aware of every single niggle or discomfort, and they can easily blow these out of proportion. This is because when people go looking for trouble they are almost certain to find it.

The Buddha is reported to have given a good explanation for why this happens. He uses the example of a man being hit by an arrow. The pain associated with this event is going to cause discomfort, but the way the person reacts to it can make things worse. If they panic and expect the worst then this is like being hit by a second arrow. Their mental attitude has led to a doubling of their pain. The exact same thing can happen with withdrawal symptoms if people are not careful about their expectations.

http://alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/how-to-make-it-through-alcohol-withdrawals/

Some good advice on there for getting through any withdrawal and believe me I've been through a LOT of them!!! 

• Like 1

Good advice having a postive outlook for the future is key. I feel in my own mind trapped like I won't allow myself to think postive or Im waiting for the right time to have a better outlook and allow myself to be free. I'm going to do what I should have already focus on postive thoughts today not wait for tommrow thanks for your post!

• Like 2

I love this so much!!  This is exactly right! 

What we think about and dwell on will come to pass.  If we think negative, dark, gloomy thoughts about life then that's exactly what we will have.  Luckily, we can re-write these limiting beliefs and turn them into something positive.

You will become what you tell yourself, so you better think positive!  :)

• Like 1