QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Four months down - a view from the other side

oswhid

I just wanted to say that my husband made it to four months yesterday.  I know it's unusual for a spouse to be the one posting here.  I had a whole long post typed up about how we got here but I decided not to post that now.  Maybe later.  Let's just say it wasn't pretty... Instead, I will stick to how things are progressing and how he is doing.  We are not spring chickens so keep that in mind.

The first week was not really hard as he stayed home from work due to a minor medical procedure.

The next few weeks, he would come home, eat and pretty much went to bed right away.

He has been lucky in the sense that he immediately started sleeping well.  Him getting a full eight hours sleep has made all the difference.  He doesn't like getting up in the morning but not due to fatigue but just due to being "not a morning person".  This is how it was before adderall.  He gets up anyway though without a problem. On adderall, he would get up early on weekday mornings and scurry around like the world would end if he didn't rush off to work. 

Pre-adderall, he was one of those people who could go to sleep the minute their head hit the pillow.  On adderall, he would toss and turn and twitch and sweat and wake up over and over.

His blood pressure is way down.  Pretty much in normal range.  He is still on medication but when he starts exercising and gets in shape I think he can get off of it all together.  His blood pressure was one of the main ways I finally got his attention.  He couldn't deny the reading like he denied a lot of other stuff.

I haven't heard him complain of headaches and neck aches recently.  I noticed he hasn't bought any of that stuff for dry mouth recently either.  I guess it hasn't been bothering him.

He's got a good bit of weight to lose but that will come.  His appetite seems to be gradually getting back to a normal level.  He ate everything in sight for a while.

His digestion is stabilizing.  One extreme on adderall - the other when he was first off.  (trying to be discreet here :)

He changed positions at work.  Prior to quitting, he knew he potentially had a choice between his current position managing 60+ developers and a more technical role managing about 10.  It was a lateral move but a tough choice.   After quitting, he immediately accepted the new role when asked which he preferred.  This has turned out to be a great decision that he was lucky was available.  His biggest stress was all the paperwork, email, and time spent trying to keep that many people happy.  It was a role he never has really liked but adderall helped fit the square peg into a round hole.  He's much more in his element dealing with technical issues and a few  workers that are more of a team than a whole department.

One funny thing. We have discovered that he has a mild cat allergy.  We have always had one or two cats without a problem.  We are currently keeping our son's two cats while he is out of the country for a total of four.  I guess this is enough to set off his allergy.  The antihistamine effect of adderall must have kept that masked.  So he now takes a claritin now and then. Off the shelf claritin not over the counter claritin-d that is used in making meth!!!

He said that while he doesn't get as much done, his focus has pretty much come back.  He has started reading for pleasure at home again and has finished a few books.  Before, everything he did was either work related or watching nonstop TV.  We have started getting out of the house a lot more.

As far as supplements, I read a lot on here and this is what he is doing:

l-tyrosine 

lion's mane

fish oil (he was already taking this)

b-12

Maybe one cup of coffee in the morning. He's not a big coffee drinker.

He adds the milo flavored energy drops with caffeine to water and drinks it during the day . He tries not to have any caffeine past 1pm as to not interfere with sleep.

He takes one five hour energy a day.  Another funny story.  I'm not a religious person but just a few weeks before he quit, I had ordered some kitty litter online.  Instead I was sent four 12 packs of 5 hour energy drinks.  How that happened, I have no idea but it did seem like a sign!

As far as how long he should take supplements or how much caffeine or energy drinks he should consume, for right now anything goes.  The goal is just to drag yourself to the finish line each day.  My guess is that he will just gradually stop using it as he no longer needs it.  It was never anything he was into before.

And the biggest news:  While there is still a lot of work to be done, my husband is back.  I truly had given up hope of this ever happening.  I sometimes can't decide if I just woke up from a nightmare or I am currently dreaming.

Wish me / him luck.   And thank you because if it wasn't for all of you, I would have never been able to guide him toward the light.

• Like 3