QuittingAdderall.com Forums

6 Years

LILTEX41

Gooooood morning everyone!

This week has been amazing.  I celebrated 1 year sober and 6 years clean from adderall.  It has not always been easy, but reviewing my history I just wanted to take a minute and share what has worked for me personally.  I was in a bit of a funk yesterday and it wasn't until this morning I remembered the most helpful things I've done in recovery.  Here are the top things that I've done that have helped.

1. Alerted the doctor I am addicted, went to the ER for an adderall overdose, and to NOT prescribe these pills ever to me again.

2. Quit all substances 

3. Exercise - joining running/biking/triathlon club teams have been immensely helpful and fun.  I feel so immensely good after exercise and I always try to remember how awful it felt to wake up hungover and feeling like shit in comparison.  The best I've ever felt in my life was when training for races and I would rather spend the rest of my life feeling that good physically than go back to feeling sick, hungover, tweaked out, always getting sick, and feeling exhausted.

4. Smart Recovery - Used the tools available to combat urges and cravings.  The lifestyle balance worksheet and VACI (vitally absorbing creative interest) worksheets were great too because it helped me resolve to rebuild my life with finding fun things to do instead of just constantly dwelling on no longer using drugs/alcohol.  

5. Allen Carr's books along with This Naked Mind - These books are outstanding to help reprogram my mind in the way that I thought about drugs/alcohol so that instead of feeling deprived I actually started feeling relieved that I no longer need that junk to be happy.  If you remove the desire, then you are seriously FREE!

6. The Law of Attraction using affirmations. 

So the other HUGE part of everything is changing your thinking patterns.  This all started for me when I found Joel Osteen.  I was never a huge religious person or anything, but what he preaches is off the charts amazingly wonderful messages.  I believe his messages are all based on the law of attraction and that is you will become whatever it is you are telling yourself.  So within this, if you are constantly dwelling on thoughts of defeat then that is what you will have.  You have to start dwelling on thoughts of victory.  Use affirmations and do them every single day.  The power of, "I am."  I am blessed. I am sober.  I am healthy. I am strong.  I am recovered.  I am peaceful. I can handle this. I got this.  I can do this.  Take off the negative labels you call yourself and rebrand yourself with something positive.  Labels are NOT helpful and if you call yourself by a negative label that is what you will be so why not call yourself something POSITIVE. You have to speak out what you want before you believe it and as you keep speaking it out - it will come to be.  

7. Diet 

I used to restrict myself with certain food groups for long periods of time like 6 months.  This has always erupted badly for me and I do not recommend it.  This is one area I don't quite have fixed yet, but the answer I always come back to is STOP RESTRICTING and eat normally.  I know not everyone that takes adderrall has issues in this area, but a lot of people do and I think that is why we turn to adderall in the first place.  From everything I've learned on this subject, all I know is watch the way children eat.  Watch your normal eater friends who are slim and are never dieting and eat everything.  This is normal eating and it is the answer to a good relationship with food that will keep you from insanity.   :)

Ok friends, that is all. God bless you all in your struggles and I pray you will find peace in your struggles and find happiness you all deserve!

Much love!

Erin

• Like 3

Congrats on 6 years free of Adderall, and congrats on one year sober!! Like I always tell you, you are such an inspiration to everyone here and I admire you SO much!! You are truly "goals" :) 

I love Joel Osteen so much too. I always feel so good after listening to him speak. I follow him on Facebook and it's nice to have his little inspirational messages pop up throughout the day. I think I need to make an effort to listen to him more often though! 

• Like 1

Congrats on 6 years free of Adderall, and congrats on one year sober!! Like I always tell you, you are such an inspiration to everyone here and I admire you SO much!! You are truly "goals" :)

I love Joel Osteen so much too. I always feel so good after listening to him speak. I follow him on Facebook and it's nice to have his little inspirational messages pop up throughout the day. I think I need to make an effort to listen to him more often though! 

Thank you BlueMoon!!  Means a lot.   :)   Never thought I'd actually make it this far!!  You almost have 1 year too!!!  Yay!!!!!

Yes, Joel is such a great motivational speaker.  He always lifts me up when I start dragging down back into the swamp land of negative thoughts.  I'm so glad you found him helpful too!!

P.s.  I feel naked without my old screen name, but I decided it was time to let go of LilTex as I no longer live in Texas.  Feels so weird to put my real name on this site.  Ahhhhh!!!  Scary, but fun!

• Like 1

This post is gold. Congratulations!

I had a hard time buying into SMART but am thrilled it's worked for you. If you're new, follow Erin's lead!!

Thanks HC!  So thankful for your support along the way!

I am by no means advocating 1 path to recovery though.  There are all kinds of recovery programs out there.  I think the most important thing is just to find one that you connect with and get plugged in.  Being in contact with other people on with the same goals is a sure way to stay motivated, encouraged, supported, and on the right track. This site is my favorite place of all of course! ;)   More than anything, I just wanted to share my individualized path that I created on my own account that's worked for me.  I'm sure everyone on this site has their own recovery method that has helped them along the way.  I have so much more I could add to this list, but it would go on forever, lol.  I totally forgot to add mediation and yoga!  Along with seeking therapy as well.  I think that's probably a great step for those that can afford it.  Hopefully, with the new pres in office, they'll work to come up with an actual affordable health care system so those of us who really could use some help can actually get it!!

• Like 2

Yeah president I'm sure will do what's best for us and not the big insurance companies lol. Dudes a nut and sociopath sorry try not to get political on here but he seems to just promote hate and intolerance. He already started to be in with the lobbyist. Said in 60 minutes interview "Well they are everywhere in Washington you can't escape it." Well no shit lobbyist push hard in Washington who would have thought that? Ok I'm done let's hope for the best and pray America doesn't self implode.

On another note thanks for sharing Erin as always your great. I'd vote you for president bet you'd do better than Trump or Hillary!

• Like 1

Yeah president I'm sure will do what's best for us and not the big insurance companies lol. Dudes a nut and sociopath sorry try not to get political on here but he seems to just promote hate and intolerance. He already started to be in with the lobbyist. Said in 60 minutes interview "Well they are everywhere in Washington you can't escape it." Well no shit lobbyist push hard in Washington who would have thought that? Ok I'm done let's hope for the best and pray America doesn't self implode.

On another note thanks for sharing Erin as always your great. I'd vote you for president bet you'd do better than Trump or Hillary!

Yeah, I won't get into politics on here, but thank you for the compliment, lol.  :)