QuittingAdderall.com Forums

From abuse, to therapeutic use, to quitting?

stealthology

Hey all,

For the vast majority of folks, it seems like once you start periodically taking obscene amounts, it's really tough to go back and stick with those 'therapeutic' doses.

I'm 10 years in (began in college) and I really don't think I can afford to cold turkey it at this juncture in my life. I've been self employed my entire life and I feel my recent financial/career mistakes were from overconfidence during binging. Anyone out there who went from abuse, to therapeutic use, then quit later on? I know it'll take discipline like no other and a strict healthy lifestyle. I know it's kinda like dragging out a relationship which you know is going nowhere. I just don't want to dig myself deeper into the hole I just dug for myself.

Anyone want to start a support type group for those wanting to go from abuse to therapeutic use before quitting this hell of a drug?

After around 8 years I believe our brains fight back the stimulants simply do not work and we must abuse this drug to feel the same effects. So no I do not think you can go back to a normal "therapeutic" use. But if you have turned the corner understand you don't wish to be a slave to amphetamines the rest of your life but don't want to do the cold turkey yes with displine u can start taking your normal dose then every week or every other gradually step down the amount successfully. I tried quitting both ways but the step down for me was better for me mainly because I was completely honest with my doctor but when I did the cold turkey about a year prior I was aftraid to tell him encase I gave in which I did after about two months. It sounds like you might already know the answer and maybe just not ready to quit but the New Years is coming up be a great time for you to make a life change that will benefit your health for years to come. It's not easy be prepared for a battle but it's worth the fight. 

Long story short, I'm in a situation similar to your's.  I'm just now reaching the point where I'm can acknowledge the effects of Adderall on my personality and identify that bad feeling that surrounds quitting as fear.  I started kind of setting up my environment for when I'm going to HAVE to break out my chameleon skills and blend in with daily life enough to pass for 'normal.' I would love to have a support type group.  As much as I avoid human interaction now, knowing that I'm not the only person to feel this way keeps me hopeful.   

• Like 2