QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Cutting Back on Devices/Screens

BeHereNow

Has anyone had good results from cutting back on the usage of devices/screens?

I realize that I'm asking this to an internet forum with an audience limited to internet users. :D But, since you all are technology users, I wonder if spending time on the internet, netflix, social media, texting, apps, games, etc., has an effect on your energy levels. 

Personally I know that I spend way too much time on my devices, looking stuff up, going on instagram, staring at my phone at the same time as I'm binge watching netflix.  I know it's supposedly disruptive to your sleep and melatonin production.   So that would rule out netflix as a sleep aid, lol.  But I want to take this a step further.  I wonder if I'd be more energized if I cancelled my internet service entirely.

I figure I can save $75 a month and probably lose weight, work out more, sleep better, and be more productive in general, not to mention saving $$.

• Like 1

I find that using screen time is merely a convenient distraction for procrastination of getting stuff done.  I don't think that cancelling the internet would necessarily help you be more productive because you would find a replacement for that screen time somewhere else.  

Last summer, I cancelled the Dish TV but I found a way to get some of that programming over the internet.  I also spent more time browsing and participating on forums like this one.  When I hooked up the TV again this fall, those internet habits continued, although I never really have gotten back into watching TV and I feel like I could do without a TV subscription very well.  Just like trading one addiction for another, I traded one form of screen entertainment for another.  Good thing I don't care what is on my phone!  And I think that I could find a replacement for the internet.....like good old fashioned reading from print, or watching more TV again, If I didn't have it.  There seems to be a certain amount of time I need to "waste" being sedentary.  Even more so during the cold, dark winter months.    Its funny, because I used to blame that laziness on adderall recovery but in reality I had these same lazy habits pre-adderall and pre-internet.