QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Helpful Podcasts/Books!

jeffersontbs

Does anyone have any recommendations for some podcasts or books that have been helpful in the journey to becoming sober from add meds? I am also struggling with alcohol dependency/abuse. I have listened to podcasts like The Bubble Hour, Recovery Happy Hour, and That Sober Guy, which have helped some at least with understanding my out of control drinking habits, but I haven't found much on adderall addiction recovery. I am currently reading More, Now, Again which hits pretty close to home but am interested in seeing what you guys may have found that has helped you.

I am currently feeling a little motivated right now...I ran out of my scrip 10 days early (per usual) again and was dreading an upcoming move I had to make. This past weekend, I moved from once city to another and I actually got through it, with energy, without my drugs! I packed and unpacked and sweated and actually found myself smiling at times when usually I'm so jacked up, serious, and super focused I have to force myself to smile. I was feeling so much dread and anxiety the days leading up to the move because I know I wouldn't have my fix that gave me energy and hyper focus for the ever so stressful process of moving. And to be honest I don't remember the last time I moved without it (been on adderall or a form of it since middle school and currently 28). 

I actually thought about not refilling my next scrip because of how great I felt at the time...HA! That didn't last, unsurprisingly.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Happy 4th!

• Like 2

First off, congrats on taking the first step toward sobriety. Recovery is a journey not a destination and it took me months of on again/off again use and tapering to finally be a month sober. 

Currently reading On Speed, which came highly recommended from this forum. It's amazing and eye opening into the history of stimulants and how pharmaceutical companies worked to market the drug with the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD.

I am still in the early stage of recovery but what I have learned from my personal struggle and through this forum is just how difficult it is to recover if you continue to refill your       prescriptions. I thought I could just cut back and use it "as needed" but if you believe you have an addiction to it then it is next to impossible to do so. I know the feeling all too well of running out of my script 10 days early (or even 2-3 weeks early at my worst). It's a difficult and frightening leap to not refill but it is the only thing that has worked for me this far. 

I hope this was helpful! 

I am new to this community but have already found it extremely helpful and I'm sure you will too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,
I had a great deal of trouble understanding the Tao Te Ching with commentary. I kept looking and buying books. I found one that helps me apply the Tao to my life. Id like to share the title of that book and ask that others share the titles of books and videos that they found helpful to them.

The book that helps me is:
The Tao of Daily Life, by Derek Lin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also believe, and I cannot find the thread - perhaps it was part of the purged thread - that we as a group had talked about the order of the books we reading be slightly altered in the case of a trilogy.

Like with The Han Solo Trilogy - I believe we are skipping TEB novelization until after we read the last Han Solo book.

With other trilogies in the future, we may or may not be doing that - not sure if that is a hard and fast rule, or Arnie is taking it in a case by case basis.