QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How I successfully quit after 17 years :)

NewMindset

• NewMindset changed the title to How I successfully quit after 17 years :)
  • 6 months later...

Hello NewMindset,

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!  I started adderall after being diagnosed with ADHD after having 4 kids when I couldn't cope.  I was a much better listener on Adderall but it backfired and turned my life into a hell-storm that I am still in.

I'm early in the process of 0 mg Adderall.  I started weaning without my doctors help because I have never been able to maintain my life when I have tried to quit or wean. a couple times I went to treatment to get off Adderall and the doc put me back on it in the hospital.  

I have been weaning for around 2 years and three weeks ago stopped altogether. Stopping altogether feels a whole lot different than the 5- 10 mg a day I last took. 

I am here because no one i know acknowledges that this drug is harmful and I can't even tell them. If I get any encouragement to go back on, I will. And I now have a heart condition where I the muscle is not able to push enough blood out to meet the demand of exercise. I have no idea why the text just turned red by the way. 

I am glad to hear people had some of the same effects from the drug; perfectionism; taking forever to do something because it had to be perfect; not able to cut to the chase.  I also planned too much.   Nothing was any better except my house was neater. That did happen but it was not actually decluttered; i just worked on it all the time obsessively. 

I see other people in my ADHD support group who also do similar things.  We FEEL super productive and creative and focused, but the amount of actual accomplishment is near 0. Most are not working at jobs and are supported by spouses while they pursue businesses they have dreamed up. (online business). 

Parenting does take organization and focus; if I had it to do over, maybe i would have just stopped putting my kids in so many activities and stayed off adderall. Who knows. 

Good luck to you! Thanks for your insight. 

• Like 1