QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My Fatigue Cure is Now a Prison

Realtor

So I was prescribed Adderall about 5 years ago now because I was diagnosed with ADD.  
The real reason I went to the doctor was my excessive fatigue. I had get chronic fatigue since middle school. By high school I was fast asleep in nearly every class. The bell would ring, I’d wake up, drag myself to my next class, and immediately put my head down to fall fast asleep again.  

For a while I blamed it on laziness and my lack of care for school.  I dropped out of college after one year because i continued to sleep every class.  Then I got a job driving for a tile contractor.  I was up and Adam by 5am everyday to make it to the office by 7am. I was rarely late.  My job was to pick up and deliver tile and materials to job sites throughout the day and often found myself falling asleep at the wheel. My eyes would fall heavy and be half closed, even just for 30 minute drives.  I’d often pull over and sleep in my car on my way home. This went on for 5 years. 

Then I quit that job and passed my real estate exam to pursue a more fulfilling career. But with that change, I had to make my own schedule and find work from nothing. That’s when I decided to go to the doctor…

I couldn’t spend my days of self-employment sleeping all day, so I spoke with some people who had good things to say about adderall and I soon got my prescription.  It helped immensely for about 2-3 years. Now I’m 30 years old.   But now I find myself taking it more than I should and I often drink to wind down (not a good combination). I wish to quit but I know it will be hard, especially remembering how I felt day to day before I even took it. 

I’d love to hear any advice because I’m sure I’m not the only one who has fatigue issues (even pre-adderall).  I’m open ears! 

• Like 3

Hi @Realtor welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear you have struggled so much with fatigue issues over the course of your life. I think going to a doctor who will explore other solutions would be helpful. Maybe a sleep study, look at your diet with a nutritionist, looking for possible allergies, etc..

Easiest first step you can take for fatigue is to quit drinking. If you need to drink to come down from your Adderall that’s a dangerous road. I did the exact same thing…it will mess you up over time. If you find you can’t quit either drinking or the pills, it’s time to take a look at where you are headed and make a decision about whether it’s worth it to you to quit.

• Like 3

Hi @Realtor

welcome to the forums - sorry to hear about your challenges with fatigue, but more importantly your growing dependency and abuse of Adderall. you mention that you were prescribed because of an ADD diagnosis - were you ever diagnosed with narcolepsy? I know that stimulants are often prescribed for this condition, but I agree with @DrewK15 - a sleep study or similar sounds like a good idea. though your sleep right now is probably way worse due to the stimulants and alcohol. depending on what your actual underlying issue or disorder is, stimulants may in fact be the solution, but there are some alternatives to amphetamine that may be easier on your system - you should consult your doctor.

that said, I think you need some distance from Adderall to at least curb the alcohol problem lest it get out of control. it's hard to make rational decisions about your long term health while your still on the drugs, so take things one step at a time: try to reduce your Adderall intake, cut out the drinking altogether, take some time off work if possible.

gl and keep us posted! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, SleepyStupid said:

you mention that you were prescribed because of an ADD diagnosis - were you ever diagnosed with narcolepsy? I know that stimulants are often prescribed for this condition, but I agree with @DrewK15 - a sleep study or similar sounds like a good idea

This was going to be my response but it has already been said.  I believe that narcolepsy is about the only legitimate use for strong stimulants like adderall.  There is very good advice in the two posts above from @DrewK15and @SleepyStupid and I don't have anything more to add at this point.  Welcome to the forums!

• 1 month later...

@realtor  

Hi, 

I hear you. That sounds really hard.  I just want to share my experience. I have ADHD.  This addiction has ruined my health which was about all I have.  My teeth are rotting from grinding and dry mouth. My life was out of control because I signed up for a life I can't manage without Adderall and other drugs.  I couldn't sleep and ended up eventually taking Xanax to cope with adderall insomnia. Benzodiazepines are associated with dementia and Alzheimer's.   My marriage fell apart because I thought I could handle leaving.  I have an especially bad case but you get the idea. And three weeks ago, because I am experiencing shortness of breath, i had a echocardiogram and my once good heart health is compromised.  Something is going on; not with cholesterol and that type of thing but a weak muscle that isn't pumping efficiently so I am short of oxygen when I do cardio workouts.  I am done with Adderall even if I can't focus, can't stay awake etc.  I do not drive anymore; got rid of car and save a lot of money. 

Look up the damage this stuff does to teeth and the heart. I don't think they properly research this area of health related to Adderall and stimulant use. I only need to know it messed up my life. I am a cyclist, walker, skiier etc. No reason I should have this issue.  I am beyond upset. 

Anyway, I wish you luck and hope you can find an alternative either lifestyle or medication.  I think it's the daily use of these drugs that gets us addicted.  Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if it were once a week.  For me that won't work because I am addicted and I've lost control of that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...