QuittingAdderall.com Forums

VYVANSE? Stories? Help from others with ADHD needing to break the addiction from Adderall

ally

Hello again, I feel the need to ask a second question, for backround info on my case (very high tolerance to Adderall for years) please read my previous top "PLEASE HELP! high tolerance users". Adderall has ruined my life and made me miss so much fun and memories with my 3 year old daughter I don't want to miss another second. I want the old fun me back. After years and years of Adderall with an extremely high dosage and actually troubling with adhd bad for years, is there anyone out there who has tried other meds or specifically vyvanse? ive taken Adderall ir and xr and Dexedrine ir for years. This month A got a script for vyvanse paying the extra money with no insurance just trying to stray away from Adderall. I need something for the mean time of quitting to get me out of bed, I have to watch my daughter all day everyday, school, and occasional work (and of course the duties of a household). Has anyone here had any experience with vyvanse? I don't necessarily like it, it doesn't do much for me, but it helps with getting out of bed for now. Am I in risk of this just continueing the addiction? or will it help me quit? I don't want to pay for something so expensive that will in return give me not the help needed, or make a situation worse. SO DOES ANYBODY HERE HAVE VYVANSE STORIES??? Please let me know, I will greatly appreciate your help.

Hi and welcome. You've come to the right place. I was never prescribed Vyvanse, but I took it when I lived the drug-chasing lifestyle. To me, it's a bit milder, but it's a stimulant, and it acts the same way adderall does in your body for the most part. I strongly believe from experience, took adderall for 7 years, and I'm a year and a month clean, that no prescription stimulant can be used when getting clean. Getting clean from these drugs means complete abstinence after you've crossed over into abusing/addiction. It's like an alcoholic trying to stop drinking so they switch from beer to wine. I feel for you and my heart goes out to you. Recovery is hard, but it's so worth getting yourself back: mind, spirit, and body. You're concerned about how long it will take to feel normal again without stimulants, I understand, and to tell you the brutal truth it's a long road, but the journey is so much better when you're actually living life again, and it's no longer dictated by speed. I never thought I could quit, ever, but I saw life passing me by, and you deserve to live life with the good and the bad. Keep posting on here. I'm sure you'll see how amazing the feedback is from everyone on this site, and you'll find that you aren't alone in this journey.

• Like 4

Ally, I took Vyvanse for two years, and had taken adderall for two years before that. Vyvanse didn't have the same kick but it had all the same negative side effects that you mention in your posts (feeling disconnected and unable to enjoy fun and memories with your 3 year old, etc). Vyvanse is not the solution if you're looking to break free of the life controlled by stimulants. You need to quit all prescription stimulants. I quit over 4 months ago and feel GREAT!

Hi Ally -- I don't have experience with vyvanse but am still to this day tempted to ask my MD to try it. I just hit 4 months off ritalin IR and am very depressed about being so low energy. I'm pretty sure that this is the voice of the addict speaking to me. 4 months feels like an eternity and I want so badly to believe I can handle vyvanse but the voice of reason tells me I can't ... I am also curious to hear about other people's experience.

I was on adderall for one year, then vyvanse for the next four. A year and a half sober and I almost feel back to normal.

Vyvanse is an extended release amphetamine. Just as addictive, just as easy to abuse. Like Ashley said, it's like replacing beer with wine.

• Like 1

I have also taken vyvanese....it acts on the brain just like all the other stimulants.. Like everyone said, you are replacing beer with wine.

To beat this...u have to fully accept reality that you will have to go through a period of serious discomfort despite what else is going on in your life. Some people would call it detox...but necessary, can you honestly see your life going uphill from here with this problem in your life?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Vyvanse is literally the exact same as adderall, if you abuse it one you will abuse the other. My advice, stop trying to replace one addiction for another, and get the help you really need. Go to an NA meeting/see a counselor, the only way you get back in your daughters life as the mom you once were/really are, is to be CLEAN(no amphetamines period).

Anyone who needed to come here, or seek other options to quit one amphetamine and thinks they can control another I am sorry is a total idiot. Not to disrespect anyone, but if you weren't quite "addicted" you will for sure find out exactly what being a full blown addict is about soon enough.

As for the lazyness aspect, if you got clean, and are still "lazy" you are letting your addiction still control you, I've been there and guess what I am 10000 times as productive off this sh*t than I am on it. Try your absolute hardest to get up and go run, or go to the gym, once you get that motor going early you will be so effective that day you will wonder why you needed adderall.

Homeless people walk away from a heroin addiction every damn day, and the rest of US(me included) need to stop making excuses for ourselves.

• Like 2

I've never tried vyanese but it sounds like you really want to quit. It's tough and I feel for you. The beginning part is always the worst, but you will feel great if you can just stay focused on not taking it for 2 week, then 3 and so on. You have the rest of your life to live - and you know your daughter wants her mommy back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried vyanese but it sounds like you really want to quit. It's tough and I feel for you. The beginning part is always the worst, but you will feel great if you can just stay focused on not taking it for 2 week, then 3 and so on. You have the rest of your life to live - and you know your daughter wants her mommy back.

THANK U! just one post can make someone feel better. Im on day 6, can u tell me what to expect? I just got a refill, haven't opened it yet, I was going to try to wean off, do you think its a bad idea and the spiral will restart?

Thanks for the responses everyone, especially Ashley6, U guys really motivate me when I am down. So heres a question, probly a dumb one, but I am on day 6 of sobriety. I just got a refill, haven't taken it (really really want too) but has anyone else been successful with the step down method? should I try it? or keep pushing? how should I feel on day 6? cuz it feels like crap :(

My advice is get rid of it immediately. Once you've crossed the line into addiction, I don't believe the step down method can work. It takes a lot of time to recover, and if you take it, you're setting yourself back. The step down method would've never worked for me (I tried), because the pills controlled me, I didn't control the pills. I hope you choose to not take any. You've gone six days....keep it up!

• Like 4

Thanks! Ashley6 u made my night :) I almost took a half, I cant even sleep for the first time in forever...!!!! But now that I have the bottle its all I can think about, like hmm..what could I get done with the rest of tonight with just a half of one? But the better half of me put it down and actually came on here instead! its great now that ive actually joined and it feels great to see notifications (now that im learning how to work the site better) makes me feel comforted for once :)

• Like 1

Since you have already got the pills, I suggest you put them in a place where you cannot access them in a moment of weakness, like a safe deposit box at your bank. Some people must have the security of having those pills "just in case". Just in case you want to return to your addiction. And that is exactly what will happen if you even take a half of a pill. Stay strong and and stay out of your bottle.

• Like 2

just remember what you are up against. You are up against the temptation to always want to take the pills. getting rid of them removes one risk. When you check into rehab, the first thing they do is search all your stuff to make sure you have no pills/drugs on you. But you aren't in rehab so you have to do it all yourself. I say flush the pills and like MFA once did, give those pills the middle finger as they go down the toilet. ;)

I wouldn't be afraid, people will be here to help you through the next steps. :)

• Like 1

Ally, the people on here are awesome and only want the best for you. It's cool you are listening to them. I can't add any more except to say the folks who replied to you have been through addicrion's darkest hours and come through the other side to make their lives better. That's what everyone here hopes for you as well.

Stay close here the next couple of weeks, ok? When I first quit this site was my refuge. No one could embarrass themselves as much as me being all over this site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The confusion about sleep patterns for me when after a month or so if quittingt, I had a really hard time sleeping. I would be aching and wrestles and my mind would be racing. I expected always to be "on bed rest' after I quit but in weeks 2 -3 I would lie wake in bed, every night.

My point is tags everyone is different and yoou should try never compare yourself with others. It's you on this path. So learn to listen because you have to live with you and that's the best you ever... One who has pride and self-assurance.

• Like 3