QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Day 5- when am I gonna it feel like I'm in a 'brain fog' anymore?

Bubbagump99

Day 5 of no addy...

The only way I can explain how my mind/brain feels since I quit is like when you take a sleeping pill or two, and you wake up the next morning in a fog and out of it. or when you nap for too long and feel groggy and crappy. When does this brain fog feeling go away? Or start to get better??

• Like 3

personally I felt brainfog for about 2 weeks typically, then it started to clear up (for the next two weeks until I would re-supply and restart the binge cycle)

after that it keeps getting better (though not necessarily in a linear fashion)

keep sleeping whenever you feel like it and can afford to.  i believe it will only speed up the recovery

• Like 2

The brain fog disappeared for me around month 10 and it still comes around now and then but it's not too bad....a nice cup of coffee usually helps!

I also truly believe that exercise helps your body recover too. Head outside or to a gym and do a nice power walk and get some of that natural energy. I was doing long walks within the second week of quitting, its difficult but I found that it helped make my recovery a lot easier. I didn't have enough energy to do anything except walk, so I walked places that had great scenery!

It will get better before you know it because time with fly by fast! Feel better!

• Like 3

I felt equally foggy every day for the first three months. Month 4 started to get a little more energy. After a year didn't have much brain fog anymore. You need to be realistic about recovery because it's a long, slow process. It gets worse before it gets better, too. You just have to be willing to push through the painful periods.

• Like 3

personally I felt brainfog for about 2 weeks typically, then it started to clear up (for the next two weeks until I would re-supply and restart the binge cycle)

after that it keeps getting better (though not necessarily in a linear fashion)

keep sleeping whenever you feel like it and can afford to. i believe it will only speed up the recovery

How long were you on add & what was your dosage?

The brain fog disappeared for me around month 10 and it still comes around now and then but it's not too bad....a nice cup of coffee usually helps!

I also truly believe that exercise helps your body recover too. Head outside or to a gym and do a nice power walk and get some of that natural energy. I was doing long walks within the second week of quitting, its difficult but I found that it helped make my recovery a lot easier. I didn't have enough energy to do anything except walk, so I walked places that had great scenery!

It will get better before you know it because time with fly by fast! Feel better!

I felt equally foggy every day for the first three months. Month 4 started to get a little more energy. After a year didn't have much brain fog anymore. You need to be realistic about recovery because it's a long, slow process. It gets worse before it gets better, too. You just have to be willing to push through the painful periods.

My usage was not constant, as I never had a prescription and was always obtaining it illegally in any way I could.

Roughly, I used for about 2 years, with monthly dosages ranging between lows of 200mg and highs (my insanity period) of 800mg.  My usage was in the style of 24 hour binges of anywhere from 100mg to 300mg, depending on what I had available.

I basically was in a cycle where I would binge for a few days and then crash for a couple weeks until I could get some more from a friend or dealer, etc.  From what I can tell (though I am only guessing and can't be certain because I haven't experienced both sides) this mades initial recovery easier since recovery itself was an ingrained habit of mine and indeed part of my addictive ritual. 

However I think the history of "binge-style" usage also makes for BRUTAL cravings.  When I think about adderall and want to get it, it's rarely because I'm romanticizing about the honeymoon phase, intending to take it responsibly.  It's my brain craving that rush I used to get from binging.  Fortunately these cravings hit me rarely now (like once a month or so) and seem to be tempered by visiting this site and reading/posting daily.

• Like 2

Oh god that brain fog...it feels like shell shock...This happens to EVERYONE quitting adderall.

I was brain foggy for a long, long, long, looooong time...Just focus on your goal and believe in yourself that you can do this. 

Good job on day 5. 

• Like 1

My usage was not constant, as I never had a prescription and was always obtaining it illegally in any way I could.

Roughly, I used for about 2 years, with monthly dosages ranging between lows of 200mg and highs (my insanity period) of 800mg.  My usage was in the style of 24 hour binges of anywhere from 100mg to 300mg, depending on what I had available.

I basically was in a cycle where I would binge for a few days and then crash for a couple weeks until I could get some more from a friend or dealer, etc.  From what I can tell (though I am only guessing and can't be certain because I haven't experienced both sides) this mades initial recovery easier since recovery itself was an ingrained habit of mine and indeed part of my addictive ritual. 

However I think the history of "binge-style" usage also makes for BRUTAL cravings.  When I think about adderall and want to get it, it's rarely because I'm romanticizing about the honeymoon phase, intending to take it responsibly.  It's my brain craving that rush I used to get from binging.  Fortunately these cravings hit me rarely now (like once a month or so) and seem to be tempered by visiting this site and reading/posting daily.

Grumpycat, 4 months.  you are doing incredible. You got this!!!!

• Like 3

I went through this two years ago and I can't remember how long it took exactly, though I started to feel better sooner than I predicted I would. I thought I would feel terrible for a few months, but I think I quit in May and started to feel much better by the beginning of July.

I have only started to taper and I feel exactly as you described, but really depressed on top of it. But then again, adderall made me depressed too.

P.S. the first time I quit, I was on about 40 mg ER. I had climbed up from about 20 over a three year period. I was quit for about two years. This time, I was on 10-20 mg a day, ending at about 25-30. I was prescribed it in January and it took only 6 months for me to start feeling really terrible this time.

• Like 1

It takes a couple of days for that to go away honestly. You'll feel like that for a week at most.

This was true for me too, but not everyone experiences this quick of an adaptation (in fact I think it lasts longer for people who were daily users for an extended period of time).  There are many factors that will affect this - age, duration of use, dosage, nutrition before quitting, nutrition after quitting, exercise.

• Like 1

I was at a week and still feeling brain fog. I've been on addy for 9 years. Been taking 30mg for about 5 daily. I had to start taking half a pill because I couldn't function at work. I'm gonna try and taper down from this so it doesn't hit and make me crash so hard. It's like my brain shuts down without it, and I can't literally work like that. My job is too crazy.

This stuff sucks!!