QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Has anyone been to a NA meeting?

Bubbagump99

i haven't been to one but I imagine it to be more personal than this website since you meet real people and get more in person real time support.  one obvious advantage to this site of course being that our addictions are more similar since we all used/abused the same drug

I actually went to one Friday night.. Wasn't what I expected. There were like 30 ppl there and they read outta a book for awhile.. And then they talked about their experiences. I was gonna say I was new when they asked... But felt too overwhelming... I obviously didn't talk.. except saying hi and my name.. idk.. Just trying to figure things out I guess

• Like 1

It's a good place however if your on adderal only take it with a grain of salt. The best thing about NA is being open and finding people you can relate to that is what helps. The 12 steps etc are not really designed for us adderal addicts unless you went way beyond your script or never had one and bought them off the streets. I really wish some sort of adderal outreach programs were available but that won't ever happen people don't understand because you can function just fine for many years then it does come crashing down. It's now been 3 months and I can honestly say this weekend is the first weekend I've felt normal energy wise. I have been pushing myself working out cutting out sugary drinks and it seemed like it was all for nothing half the day I wanted to lay down and do nothing. But for some reason this weekend I got chores done around the house took my kid to the park made dinner cleaned up and felt good about myself. It's been 3 months of hell and the only thing that made me quit was tossing my pills in the toilet and telling my doctor the truth I was abusing this it has made me mad do not write me anymore scripts.

• Like 3

Congratulations to you, that's awesome:)

Well, for me I started using ad bc it was a substitute in my head for Coke. I had been using Coke on and off for years. Came close to dying a few times on it. Almost od'd on Ritalin one night too, popping it like candy and drinking. I've gone from one stimulant to another for years. And the thought of living 'stimulant free', honestly repulses me and freaks me out!

Congrats on making it this far, Frank. The rest of us who are the same point as you are feeling the same way. Lots of bad days, and once in a while a good day. We just have to keep pushing and at some point the good days are going to outweigh the bad. We have that to look forward to. Keep going. You're doing great :)

And Jen, YOU CAN DO THIS. I know you can!! It's scary but you can tell you're definitely "ready". How much longer in your tapering process??

• Like 1

Not sure.. I have a 30 day rx of 10mg which I'm currently down to.. I was trying to rush the taperin process at first, and went from 30-20 being ok in a couple days but when I hit 15 it was awful. Exhausted and severely depressed. Been on 10 a couple days and I feel ok. I'm really not putting a timeline on this. I think certain drops will be easier than others, so I'm just taking it day by day... By day lol

I have no want to go back up in dosage though, so that makes me feel like I'm doing it right for me. U know?

• Like 1

Hi Jen,

I have not been to an NA meeting, but I've attended lots of AA meetings over the course of my life.  I have kind of struggled in this area for some time because I don't do AA, but the face to face contact and support network is incredible.  You can always go to a meeting at almost any time of day and find people who are going through the same struggles.  I tend to go to AA meetings still now every now and then still sometimes.  I usually go with a friend and we go out to dinner or grab coffee before.  If people question me on why I don't go to more meetings and all the aa stuff, I just tell them I do Smart Recovery and that's my main program. That usually gets people to leave me alone.  I try to take away the good stuff that I feel relevant.  

Someday, it won't freak you out anymore about not having a stimulant.  It just takes a long vacation away from them to get used to the new normal.  It will all be worth it down the road. Just hang in there!! :)

Congratulations to you, that's awesome:)

Well, for me I started using ad bc it was a substitute in my head for Coke. I had been using Coke on and off for years. Came close to dying a few times on it. Almost od'd on Ritalin one night too, popping it like candy and drinking. I've gone from one stimulant to another for years. And the thought of living 'stimulant free', honestly repulses me and freaks me out!

I've done Coke I'm the past was a fun party drug but too expensive to form a real habit plus did not last long. Fact that my nose bleed every time I did it also prevented me from being a Coke addict lol. I think people gravitate towards a illegal drug that their body feels they are lacking. High strung people like pot people with low energy like uppers. I know that's not always true but how I felt and adderal a legal upper with one hell of a kick was a miracle drug. But like all good things it must come to a end I knew it was not doing what it did so I got some pain pills on top of addy eventually that even stopped working. So had two choices up my adderal dose above 60 plus by more illegal OxyContin and ruin my life or quit .., so I quit got two kids can't go out like that. One blessing out of that mess is my craving for adderal is near zero now but oxy it's a struggle I still crave it and the thought of not having adderal the rest of my life I'm cool with but no oxy I kind of hate. The good thing is I cut out my oxy source 100% so getting that again would be hard adderal on the other hand I could talk my way into a new script. So my advice go get hooked on pain pills!!! Just kidding it's been hell go to a na meeting it's free you will risk nothing but getting help by going.

• Like 1

I go to AA/NA meetings 3-5x/week. I have a sponsor, read the literature, have worked the steps, and have a group of friends who are clean. It's become a big part of my life since getting off Adderall.

My sponsor and support group have stopped me from relapsing on several occasions over the last three years. It's also helped me work through a number of other issues and become a better person.

It's obviously not for everyone. I was pretty far gone with my Adderall use.

If you go, try to focus on what you can identify with, not how you're different. I had a hard time accepting that I was an addict and this was a solution that could work for me. I couldn't identify with heroine users. It was prescribed. I had a high paying job. I never lived under a bridge. I wasn't "that bad." I've since learned that was a way of rationalizing my use.

I found it helpful to talk to former meth users, as the withdrawal issues are identical to adderall. I found former meth users in NA/smart recovery, and I also had a good friend who recovered from meth who was super helpful in relating to my feelings post addiction. I went to several Pills Anonymous meetings too, but they were all primarily pain killer addicts so I couldn't relate as much as I could with the meth heads. But, all addicts will relate to the cravings and fears and self doubt, so you have nothing to lose.

I go to AA/NA meetings 3-5x/week. I have a sponsor, read the literature, have worked the steps, and have a group of friends who are clean. It's become a big part of my life since getting off Adderall.

My sponsor and support group have stopped me from relapsing on several occasions over the last three years. It's also helped me work through a number of other issues and become a better person.

It's obviously not for everyone. I was pretty far gone with my Adderall use.

If you go, try to focus on what you can identify with, not how you're different. I had a hard time accepting that I was an addict and this was a solution that could work for me. I couldn't identify with heroine users. It was prescribed. I had a high paying job. I never lived under a bridge. I wasn't "that bad." I've since learned that was a way of rationalizing my use.

That's exactly how I feel! I'm like.. I didn't end up losing my job and my apt, and being homeless etc. I can't relate to their physical stories, but then when they talk about their feelings.. I'm like oh boy, that's me to a T. I'm having a hard time admitting I'm an addict. It's like, duh, I obviously have a problem with drugs.. But am I an 'addict'? Probably.. But why can't I just admit it???

And Cassie, agree w relating to meth/Coke ppl. I don't have a sponsor and I don't know really anyone else personally that's been dependent on ad/Coke/uppers.

I enjoy listening to other ppl talk when I'm at the meetings.. sometimes they bring up very good points, and then I think to myself- f* I am an addict... :/

• Like 1