QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Marijuana & Dopamine

EricP

Interesting article about Marijuana and its effect on dopamine. Such a different drug however is in alignment in ways to adderall in that the dopamine release reward over time from the drug strips the brain from the ability to feel pleasures from normal daily activities. 

Marijuana in Cali has recently become legal and I was tempted to buy some to help sleep/relax occasionally however the more I read just seems like any vice comes with the same problems. Darn! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/amp/article/37438-long-term-marijuana-effects-brain

I smoked for 7 years and throughout my adderall use and took breaks from it here and there and quit it along with adderall 9ish months ago. Some people say they have no negatives. I definitely enjoyed it before I started abusing amphetamines. The paranoia from sleepless nights and no food and heavy amphetamine use was heightened from smoking so I lost the positive effects from it. Kinda scared me.  Before the amphetamines though I loved it as long as I had it. It was great in the evenings. I think it wouldn't be a bad thing in moderation like weekends or every other week. Just depends on the person. I'm still experiencing pretty serious anhedonia so smoking for the previous years prolly contributed. 

I have dabbled in smoking years ago and it always just made me sleepy and relaxed. I was surprised to read it triggers dopamine release.

Anhedonia really sucks. I really have to push myself to do things... Anything "extra" that doesn't have to be done, forget about it. Cleaning my garage has been on the list for months lol... Then on days where I do push myself I get more forgetful like my brain only has so much capacity each day and there is little reward or feeling of pleasure even when I do good things. I have seen a little improvement however it is slow and mild... Stay strong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricP said:

I have dabbled in smoking years ago and it always just made me sleepy and relaxed. I was surprised to read it triggers dopamine release.

i can confidently say that smoking weed has never triggered my dopamine reward system in a way that motivates me to do any sort of work :lol: .. though it doesn't surprise me that THC affects dopamine. it is after all a "feel good" chemical. 

these days i find myself vaping maybe once a week if that, though i've definitely been a chronic smoker in the past. from personal experience, i would say that the bigger concern with marijuana is that it can very quickly becoming a numbing agent. it DEFINITELY won't help with being productive, but in the case of anhedonia, getting high can make you content with doing nothing in your free time.

on the flip side, some strains can produce a high level of anxiety, especially when you're in a tough place in life. you'll get fixated on your condition and problems- it can be a very emotional and troubling experience. i think some people are more sensitive to this effect than others..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sleepystupid said:

i can confidently say that smoking weed has never triggered my dopamine reward system in a way that motivates me to do any sort of work :lol: .. though it doesn't surprise me that THC affects dopamine. it is after all a "feel good" chemical. 

these days i find myself vaping maybe once a week if that, though i've definitely been a chronic smoker in the past. from personal experience, i would say that the bigger concern with marijuana is that it can very quickly becoming a numbing agent. it DEFINITELY won't help with being productive, but in the case of anhedonia, getting high can make you content with doing nothing in your free time.

on the flip side, some strains can produce a high level of anxiety, especially when you're in a tough place in life. you'll get fixated on your condition and problems- it can be a very emotional and troubling experience. i think some people are more sensitive to this effect than others..

Good insight

Yes, I find myself fixated a bit lately, I came out of it for awhile then hit another low again and got sucked back in... Maybe I need to smoke a little! Lol

I'd like to give pot a whirl again sometime.  I've had some good experiences with it. It might sound stupid but I've had a few times where the experience was pretty profound...kind of like an enlightenment.  I remember one time I smoked when I was still taking adderall and clear as day, for the first time I knew the adderall addiction was not sustainable and I had to quit to move forward in life.

But I've also had the bad anxiety high where I knew that I was going to die and my heart would explode....eventually when I know I'm in a positive state of mind and spiritually sound, I'd like to utilize it as a tool for meditating and for taking a introspective look at myself.

I don't want to make this post like pro-drugs but I'm definitely intrigued by DMT and/or ayahuasca.  Its obviously not something you'd do recreationally but more like a few times tops in a lifetime.  The people who have tried it talk about how profound the experience is.  Its interesting how they say it makes them so empathetic and loving after they've tripped on dmt.  I know that sounds like some super hippy shit but its still interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom23Jones said:

I don't want to make this post like pro-drugs but I'm definitely intrigued by DMT and/or ayahuasca.  Its obviously not something you'd do recreationally but more like a few times tops in a lifetime.  The people who have tried it talk about how profound the experience is.  Its interesting how they say it makes them so empathetic and loving after they've tripped on dmt.  I know that sounds like some super hippy shit but its still interesting.

i've had these types of experiences on mushrooms- it can be very profound and enlightening.. IF you're around the right people or by yourself (:

again, under the right conditions, i do believe that tripping is an experience that is worth trying at least once in your life. it has the potential to change your entire world view in a very meaningful way if you approach it with an open mind and don't disrespect the substance (don't overdo it!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sleepystupid said:

i've had these types of experiences on mushrooms- it can be very profound and enlightening.. IF you're around the right people or by yourself (:

again, under the right conditions, i do believe that tripping is an experience that is worth trying at least once in your life. it has the potential to change your entire world view in a very meaningful way if you approach it with an open mind and don't disrespect the substance (don't overdo it!)

I've heard from so many people that it can change your entire world view, which is both a fascinating and a scary idea.  And yeah Joe Rogan talks about it all the time on his podcast lol.  Right now I'm just being patient because I'm seeing rapid improvement in my mood, focus, energy, outlook etc.  I haven't been anxious or worried recently which I've heard is a very bad state to be in to trip but on the other hand, I don't want to upset all the positive things going on right now with a bad trip.

The only reason I'm considering it is because I feel like I have these big questions, whats my purpose? what is the point of life for anyone? what happens after life? etc. I've heard tripping can give you some clarity on those things...or at least some peace of mind to just know that it'll all work out

I have never heard of DMT, reading sounds interesting. I did try shrooms and also Molly once, they were both when I was much younger however I do believe at the time they did change my perception of life for a good few months and I still recall the highlights :) I don't think I would try again at least not in this mental state. In fact if I was seeing big improvement I still don't think I would risk it at this point.

Right now I am looking more for small remedy's for my bad days. I was on a streak of feeling pretty good for awhile and not sure what triggered my relapse. The brain is way more complicated than I ever gave it credit for. For now just reducing sugar, carbs, staying clear of alcohol and doing my best to get good sleep. Fell off my exercise routine a bit lately in this cold so need to pick back up as well. 

• Like 1