QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Swimming lessons

Frank B

Well over the last couple months took on a challenge I’ve avoided my entire life. I never learned how to swim growing up. But felt it was a challenge worth taking on. Taken a class as a 40 year old adult is very humbling and you must leave your ego at the door. Happy to say I’ve made a lot of progress started doing laps now, ok one then stop for a little while still getting that breathing part down. I have little body fat so it’s a constant effort from going under my body just wants to sink. Anyways this is something on adderall I would have never considered to be important enough to take on plus my ego would not have let me. My ultimate goal is to take part of a triathlon some day I’ll need a lot of practice swimming and get more time on a bike and pick up a little more running but hopefully something I can do in a year or so time. Now if I can only have the same drive, focus and motivation when it comes to actual work work as I do for self improvements I’ll be in great shape. 

• Like 2

Congrats Frank! 

I also sink like a rock, have my whole life. While I can do some basic strokes and keep afloat long enough to save my own life I suck at swimming. I will have to consider trying this also as soon as our local pools open back up in the spring. I tried a little last summer however felt like I lost my coordination and my endurance and desire to move fast has faded a bit since quitting. Will have to give it another shot! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EricP said:

Congrats Frank! 

I also sink like a rock, have my whole life. While I can do some basic strokes and keep afloat long enough to save my own life I suck at swimming. I will have to consider trying this also as soon as our local pools open back up in the spring. I tried a little last summer however felt like I lost my coordination and my endurance and desire to move fast has faded a bit since quitting. Will have to give it another shot! 

It’s really great exercise no impact on joints so sort of a break from running and weights and get some killer cardio. I’d recommend buying some fins it’s helped me a lot also a front facing snorkel so u can focus on form not worry about breathing. These are ones I got pretty reasonable price work great. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E88740S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6DLuCb0981GFN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M0O4Z4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also sucked at swimming. Virtually no body fat but I took on getting certified as a life guard. All the training to get certified really helped. Has to swim 200 yards no break. Had to dive to the bottom and pull someone to the surface and situate them with the guard float. Had to subdue a struggling swimmer and pull them to safety. I admire people who can swim really well. It’s quite a sight, they look like dolphins. Haha I think the lack of gravity makes swimming a really good and unique exercise. 

• Like 1