QuittingAdderall.com Forums

I can't move

sweetupbaaby

Hey guys,

I had a question about workout out, specifically lifting weights. 

I use to be an avid gym-goer. When I was on Adderall, my workouts at the gym were easy. I had the energy to go another set or two if I needed and I felt like I was always pumped to go the gym no matter what.

I have been jumping rope and running while in recovery. My body gets really tired after 10-15 minutes of cardio and I have to take it easy every single workout. I've gotten back into lifting weights at home this week, after taking a year break from going to the gym. I really fell off, but I am determined to get back into shape. I tried doing a ten-minute ab workout today and my muscles were literally screaming in pain that I couldn't move. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but is this pain and weakness from having stagnant muscles for so long, or does this have to do with the low-energy and fatigue that comes with Adderall withdrawal? Will lifting weights and cardio become easier over time now that I am not on Adderall? The only low-impact exercise I can do right now with general ease is Yoga (which is a lifesaver, by the way)

I don't remember what it's like to be a beginner at the gym. I don't remember being out of shape, and how long it took me to get in shape. I feel so weak and embarrassed that I have to take such long breaks in between workouts to rest, when I use to be able to power through workouts every single day for years. :mellow:

Thanks for your help!

Personally, I was addicted to woking out during my relatively short adderall addiction. Adderall acted in a similar way in which a steroid would have I believe minus the recovery aspect. Adderall increases norepinephrine in large amounts, which makes it much easier to lift weights/workout for an extended period of time. I would pop a pill before I went to the gym and I didn't have to try to focus or get hyped up on those really hard and grueling sets when I was on adderall, or any set at all as a matter of fact because it did that for me without even trying. Adrenaline was just flowing out of my body. My strength skyrocketed on adderall, but my joints took a beating because my body really couldn't handle the volume at which I was working out at. When I came off adderall my strength plummeted, and my body just hurt all over. I was left with a shoulder injury, lower back injury, and lat injury that I had to rehab as a result of overtraining and it still gives me problems to this day and im only 23. I got my testosterone levels tested about a month after coming off addy, and they were right at the bottom of the natural range for men sitting at 350 ng/dl. After about four months of slowly training the right way again, rehabbing, and doing a shit ton of cardio I got my levels tested again and they were sitting at 757 ng/dl, which is above the average. 

So, to answer your question I believe adderall throws off your physiological functioning to a pretty large degree and it's going to take some time for everything to level itself out again. It makes it easier to workout from a mental aspect, as well as the physical. Definitely continue with your cardio, yoga, and weight training and try your hardest to keep upping that intensity every workout, but most importantly listen to your body. If you have a high threshold and know it's a pain you shouidn't be pushing through, then don't but also know It's going to be more painful working out then it was while you were on adderall, because it literally helps block the pain receptors but I'm sure you know working out isn't supposed to feel good. Keep building on your workouts and get into a good and consistent routine, and you'll be back to where you were at. You are going to have to work hard at building that mental fortitude back, and finding different avenues for motivation through hard workouts and painful sets. It definitely will improve and get better over time though as long as you are committed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, neilrealdeal said:

Personally, I was addicted to woking out during my relatively short adderall addiction. Adderall acted in a similar way in which a steroid would have I believe minus the recovery aspect. Adderall increases norepinephrine in large amounts, which makes it much easier to lift weights/workout for an extended period of time. I would pop a pill before I went to the gym and I didn't have to try to focus or get hyped up on those really hard and grueling sets when I was on adderall, or any set at all as a matter of fact because it did that for me without even trying. Adrenaline was just flowing out of my body. My strength skyrocketed on adderall, but my joints took a beating because my body really couldn't handle the volume at which I was working out at. When I came off adderall my strength plummeted, and my body just hurt all over. I was left with a shoulder injury, lower back injury, and lat injury that I had to rehab as a result of overtraining and it still gives me problems to this day and im only 23. I got my testosterone levels tested about a month after coming off addy, and they were right at the bottom of the natural range for men sitting at 350 ng/dl. After about four months of slowly training the right way again, rehabbing, and doing a shit ton of cardio I got my levels tested again and they were sitting at 757 ng/dl, which is above the average. 

So, to answer your question I believe adderall throws off your physiological functioning to a pretty large degree and it's going to take some time for everything to level itself out again. It makes it easier to workout from a mental aspect, as well as the physical. Definitely continue with your cardio, yoga, and weight training and try your hardest to keep upping that intensity every workout, but most importantly listen to your body. If you have a high threshold and know it's a pain you shouidn't be pushing through, then don't but also know It's going to be more painful working out then it was while you were on adderall, because it literally helps block the pain receptors but I'm sure you know working out isn't supposed to feel good. Keep building on your workouts and get into a good and consistent routine, and you'll be back to where you were at. You are going to have to work hard at building that mental fortitude back, and finding different avenues for motivation through hard workouts and painful sets. It definitely will improve and get better over time though as long as you are committed. 

Wow...thank you so much for sharing, this was really helpful information.

I use to be a beast too. I thought I had it made. I'm not going to lie, my body was in the best shape of my life. I use to work out like crazy, every day, and thought it was a sustainable practice. I too suffered from injury from pushing myself too hard and working out with injuries. I definitely agree that Addy feels like steroids. My workouts now lack in the mental focus which is what pushed me for so long. I use to be a pack a day smoker as well, and I could still bang out 3 hour long workouts. I quit smoking since then. Although I was fit, I was not healthy by any means. I didn't eat all day until 8 pm at night where I would carb load and eat the worst possible foods ever. I was still in a caloric deficit, so I was able to stay super skinny and toned. But I was underweight and probably malnourished. I remember at the tail end of my addiction I was consuming over 200mg of XR a day, I wouldn't eat for 2 or 3 days at a time. Looking back, I don't even know how I survived. Blows my mind. I had a rude awakening when I quit stims. I gained 30 pounds within 6 months and I regret letting myself go. I'm just trying to get back to where I was, but now I'm starting to realize it's going to be tougher than I thought. I have to expel so much more mental energy to stay pumped. Gyms are closed right now which is really killing me. I make time every day to work out, although it's so hard to separate yourself from fitness and personal life while at home in the living room. 

Quitting addy made me realize how sh*tty my eating patterns were. I still eat in a caloric deficit now, but I eat at regular intervals throughout the day, and my diet is super clean. Staying away from crappy food is a must for my mental health.

There is one thing I always remember when it comes to working out: Dedication over motivation. I don't wait to feel motivated to workout. I just do it because that's what I am committed to. Motivation is fleeting and it's not dependable in any way, shape or form

• Like 2