QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Boston

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys I am currently in Quincy,MA. Ive been clean of ads for a couple months. I reached out to AA to try to get some sort of help unfortunately I feel like I am not totally understood there.Let's try to get some groups together.... I am sure there are more people like us out there.

• Like 1

Hey guys I am currently in Quincy,MA. Ive been clean of ads for a couple months. I reached out to AA to try to get some sort of help unfortunately I feel like I am not totally understood there.Let's try to get some groups together.... I am sure there are more people like us out there.

Congrats on being clean for 2 months! Hope you are doing ok, if you want to share your story we would love to hear... stay strong.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I am also working on recovery from Adderall addiction and in the Boston area. Similar to what another member wrote, I have been attending AA/NA meetings and, while I find them helpful, there are a lot of pieces to their stories that I can't relate to-- i.e. blacking out, being hungover, doing stupid stuff while drunk/high-- that are very specific to the drug of alcohol (or other drugs), but not Adderall necessarily. I understand that the underlying emotions can be similar at times for all individuals in recovery, but I feel that it would be helpful to meet people who are physically experiencing the same symptoms as I am. Everyone I meet in in AA is so happy and reports being more energetic since they've stopped drinking. Meanwhile, here I am feeling depressed as f*ck and so tired that just hearing that other people are feeling better/more energetic in recovery is irritating.

Anyway, I'm 25 years old, a young professional in the Allston/Brighton area and would really like to meetup with people and/or start an on-going weekly group so please let me know if you're interested and what your availability is. Thanks!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I'm a 26 yr old professional who had been sober for over a year and a half, and just relapsed this summer. Is there anyone else in this area who would like to meet up? Im back to my old cycles of binging on pills then retreating to my bed until I can get more. Am I the only one in Somerville? Boston? Cambridge? I have not been to meetings yet, I am terrified of them due to my line of work. I think a small group for this particular addiction could be life changing. I can meet up anyday after 7. Please tell me I'm not alone...

• Like 1

Hi, 

I'm a 26 yr old professional who had been sober for over a year and a half, and just relapsed this summer. Is there anyone else in this area who would like to meet up? Im back to my old cycles of binging on pills then retreating to my bed until I can get more. Am I the only one in Somerville? Boston? Cambridge? I have not been to meetings yet, I am terrified of them due to my line of work. I think a small group for this particular addiction could be life changing. I can meet up anyday after 7. Please tell me I'm not alone...

Hey Olivia115, I'm so glad you responded to this old thread. I wrote my post months ago and no one responded until you....it gives me hope that I'm not alone and that I, too, can achieve sobriety like you did. I think there are specific struggles that come with being an Adderall/stimulant user as a young professional woman in a city like Boston where everyone is so focused on your education level and status.

It's like having a graduate degree is standard and people assume that if you don't work 5 days a week, you have a second job (I can only speak from my own experience). In addition, as others have mentioned in other discussions on this forum, there are issues with getting off of Adderall and gaining weight, which makes me very scared of sobriety and recovery. Most recently I have loved the way I look and my body for the first time in my life. That is the one good thing Adderall gave me, and I know it was at a huge price.....I have a long term boyfriend who is amazingly supportive, but I don't think I could be in a relationship when I feel so shitty about my body...... Anyway, other issues I am dealing with as a young professional woman: maintaining a semblance of a career in an extremely competitive job market, have educated/successful friends that I constantly compare myself to....you get it. 

Anyway, sorry if I'm rambling. I have been on a much lower dose of Adderall due to being more honest with my prescriber and more motivated for sobriety. I am trying to get into treatment but I have had a lot of difficulties with access to care. Olivia115, I would really enjoy meeting up with you for coffee/tea sometime to hear more about your life and what helped you recover (and stay sober for 1.5 years! That is amazing!). I will PM you about trying to find a meet up time. Hope you're doing okay today. 

• 10 months later...

Hi All!

I, too am in the Boston area and have been off Adderall (with 1 small bump in the road) for 7 months now, as well as benzos.  I'm involved in AA, but as others have mentioned, sometimes I just can't relate to the stories of alcohol abuse.  I used adderall to stay alert, do more work, better, faster for my job, stay focused, stay up late at night, to the gym, lose weight, and generally function at an abnormally high level as a member of society.  Alcoholics' experiences seem to be the opposite. They used it to relax, party, loosen up after work, and typically report stories of embarrassment and hangovers. 

Anyway, I would love to meet up with anyone in Boston or in the suburbs of Boston.  We can both complain and motivate one another together..I've already connected with a few of you, but let's get an email list going. (Perhaps off of the forum because the forum is a little wonky to use) :)

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone! I'm a 27 year old professional who has been on and off with Adderall for years and very recently made the decision to end it once and for all.  

Hoping that there's still a few out there in Boston who would want to meet up for support...looks like it's been a few years since anyone posted! I'm in Somerville. It's been a difficult road, but im determined to keep on it. Would love to chat with friends in the area. Message me!

-Kate

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve been on and off here for years but never spoke with someone real about my struggles.  I’d love to do something very low key and chat with someone with similar struggles. I have a 1 year old so I go for a lot of walks if anyone is interested. Grab some coffee? I know other people in this city must be looking for the same thing.

• 11 months later...