QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Freaking out! Presentation & Interview - How do I do it without adderall?!?

So yep I'm at it again, in the final round of another set of interviews. This time it's for a very prestigious management consulting company. I've made it through so far by smiling a lot and asking a few smart questions here and there, but I've only met mid level people and recruiters.

On Tuesday, I have to go in and demonstrate my abilities to sell, collaborate, identify client needs, summarize, manage time, etc etc etc... through a case study. They're going to give me the case at 8am and then at 9am I have to present using a FLIP CHART (?!) how I would approach the case and the client. The audience for my presentation will be 3 Partners for the firm. After this, I have 1:1 interviews with each of them.

I am shitscared. There would have been a time when this would have been a walk in the park for me, when I could have faked it till I made it,and confidence is infectious. But because of the combination of having been fired from my last job and having very little contact with people (esp in business) over the last 3-4 months, and knowing that the last 6-9 months of my professional life have hardly been my most successful, I am just really worried.

I am so tempted to try to get my hands on some adderall. I know I won't, but I really feel like I need that confidence to be able to know I can handle those curly management consulting questions that get thrown at you... how many quarters would fill this room? what's your biggest failure and what did you learn from it? how did you demonstrate listening in a previous client engagement? blah blah blah

I'm freaking out. Didn't sleep well, have been literally sweating all day today, watching youtube videos of presentations, trying to learn the consulting industry inside and out. Shitshitshitshit....sigh...

HELLLLLPPPPP!!?!?!?

MFA have you seen this book before. It's something you can download. Maybe it would be good as a reference to have during your interview process. Maybe not for tomorrow but through the interview process in general.

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/store/bookdetail?item_no=848

Remember the average job search takes 9 months!!!! You are way ahead of the game.

And look at all the practice you've gotten in the past weeks leading up to this one? You've answered these questions before..you've worked out the kinks on your answers during previous interviews...they'll come out of your mouth so much smoother this time...

And this one isn't the be all and end all, you got plenty more leads in the pipeline.

Edit - also that was really smart of you to watch youtube videos of mc presentations. A brilliant way to prepare..also I just double checked...it looks like the book I linked to has tips and info on 'the presentation case'

• Like 1

I dunno what to tell you about that interview. A flipchart!? For Christ's sake you might as well have a chalkboard or fucking crayons and a coloring book (no offense, Heather). But here is my two cents. I see a pattern developing. You crave adderall when challenged! This is something you really need to get a handle on, MFA, because it will eventuallly be your undoing if you don't confront and resolve it BEFORE you land your next job. Somewhere in your mind you still believe you are a better performer under the influence of adderall. Despite your awful addiction experiences. MFA, please get some help for this issue. Are you still seeing a counselor? If you don't get beyond this hang up, I am afraid a relapse is hidden in your tea leaves. I suggest you get this resolved before you need to start performing all the time in your next job. This is serious.....please get some help.

I am so tempted to try to get my hands on some adderall. I know I won't, but I really feel like I need that confidence to be able to know I can handle those curly management consulting questions that get thrown at you... how many quarters would fill this room? what's your biggest failure and what did you learn from it? how did you demonstrate listening in a previous client engagement?

Hey MFA -- You need to get into the habit of getting your confidence elsewhere ... from deep down inside, or by literally walking in the park and faking it til you make it (people talk to themselves in parks all the time.) Easier said than done and clearly one of your biggest challenges since quitting adderall. Since quitting you have made up your mind to get thru the day-to-day without using no matter what. Adderall is not even an option and can't be an option for this either. It just can't. You will get your confidence back but you don't know this yet since this is uncharted territory. Go over a few more youtube videos and go to bed. A good night's sleep will help you more than any amount of preparation that compromises your sleep. I know on this site you are a force to be reckoned with and such an inspiration! You can get thru this and no matter how it goes tomorrow -- you will know you got thru it without adderall. I know you know there are way too many factors completely out of your control. Getting the job is important but it's more important to get thru this process without adderall which will build your confidence more than anything. xoxo and thinking of you tomorrow.

• Like 1

Could you really wing something like that even with Adderall? If so, that's impressive -- and means you'll kick ass doing it the old fashioned way.

PRACTICE.

Write down every question or scenario you might conceivably be asked about.

Write down your answers - not just notes, full paragraphs with complete sentences.

Practice out loud.

Repeat.

I swore by this method when interviewing for jobs recently. I practiced so much that when it came time for the real interivews, when they asked a question, I was able to jot down quick keywords "brand strategy, website, board cultivation" and call to mind whatever accomplishments/anecdotes/success stories I wanted to incorporate into my answer.

You've been interviewing for a few months now, which makes it easier because you know what kinds of questions to expect. Just think of how much more natural and conversational you'll be without adderall.

Thanks thanks thanks! I knew posting here would be a good idea. Just exactly what I needed.

InRecovery, that book is fucking genius! I've never seen it before. Downloading as we speak. I will read today and practice.

Quitonce, you are right. We all have our triggers. For me it is weight gain and confidence. I realize that I would pop a pill whenever I had a big meeting coming up, or was faced with a big challenge at work. I don't know if it helped in fact I'm sure it probably didn't, but an addicts mind is a powerful thing. Your reminder to me of this trigger was just what I needed to tell me that's the very next thing I'm going to talk with my therapist about.

Lea, thanks for the encouragement, lady. You're right, I need to believe in myself, alone, without the adderall! I'm going to spend the day practicing and encouraging myself. Got any mantras you'd suggest?

Cat, this is really the most practical and useful piece of advice I could have asked for. I have been taking copious notes but I haven't done the "write down every question they will ask you and practice your answers". I will do that today.

You guys are my lifesavers! I'm meeting a friend for coffee this morning who I hope will be able to help, too, and then it's back to the study for a solid day of reading and reflection!

Thanks again so much.... you mean the world to me, you people.

• Like 2

MFA have you seen this book before. It's something you can download. Maybe it would be good as a reference to have during your interview process. Maybe not for tomorrow but through the interview process in general.

http://www.vault.com...ail?item_no=848

By the way, in all my job searches can you believe i completely FORGOT about Vault? I am constantly on linkedin, the Ladders, Glassdoor, Ivy Exec, Indeed, etc etc etc but how could I have forgotten this one?! THanks for the reminder...

MFA,

I don't know a lot about the business world, but remember the top-notch advice you gave me? Yeah, use that! Remember the ridiculous paranoia and anxiety adderall gives us? I would think in a stressful situation like that, it would only cause you to be the opposite of calm, cool, and collected? I'm kind of repeating what others have said, but giving adderall the credit for things you've accomplished is not only dangerous, but a lie. Maybe it's the false sense of confidence you're wanting, but that's.... false. I have tons of faith in you. This is great practice to show your capabilities without the help of a pill. Do you want this job that badly or is a sense of thinking if I don't get this job, I can't do it off adderall? Adderall is a beast, in the most terrible way, of reminding us what it helped us with but leaving out all of the havoc it caused in our lives. YOU. GOT. THIS.

• Like 1

Just remember that you're not making a speech, make sure all slides are readable (if that's what you're using). I cannot stand it when people use mini font on slides and then say, "i'm sorry for this slide, the data is unreadable" - Well why did you use it??? Stay passionate about the topic but not overzealous. Look presentable and feel good about your self! I always picture myself in the audience seat, and how presentations are always an awkward looking at the speaker until you make eye contact, and then look away. Just give a general look in the room, if your slides/material are on point, you wont need to be strung out on any stimulant. Imagine how good you will feel when you've finished! GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

Hay baby please don’t freak out go into your interview as yourself please don’t take any Adderall you do not need addearall you have all proven you can do a interviews without a stimulant it will only fuck up your train of thought .Jest be yourself motivation fallows action. I wish I was there for you to kick your butt have confidence and do not be intimidated by the suits they are human jest like you whenever someone try to intimidate me I deflect there attempts I neutralize there effects with positive thoughts do not let your mind drift away you are a very positive person use your positive energy at the interview my gut feeling tells me you will coast right thru it. If you don’t get the job then it was not meant to be you will get a good job when your time comes and you are not expecting it to happen go in with your head held high .If your nerves are getting to you drink a class of win one class not a bottle it will calm you down

Your friend FALCON

.If your nerves are getting to you drink a class of win one class not a bottle it will calm you down

Your friend FALCON

Falcon, my brother from another mother, I think this is the most hilarious and surreal advice ever! I don't think I'll take it, as I don't want to walk in to a meeting at 8am smelling like alcohol, but it's very cute all the same. I'll do some breathing, and do my own little trick of pretending to be one of my role models and go in to character and fake it till I become it.

I've been practicing and pacing all day. I have a total tendency to overthink these things so I've spoken to a couple of friends who have reminded me that I have been doing this stuff for over 10 years and what on earth would make me think this is any different?

The only person getting in my way is me. So a few more practice sessions in front of the teddy bear and long-suffering husband tonight (god knows he knows how to cross-examine someone, on the other hand maybe I won't ask him for help :-)) and a glass of wine tonight and a good night's rest... some breathing....

Funny story: tried on suits today. Of course none of my expensive tailored designer suits fit me any more, I had to go to the fat clothes cupboard (c'mon ladies, we all have them) and managed to patch something together. I'll wear my glasses... they always make me look/feel smarter.

thanks again guys. I am sure I will be reading this thread at least 3 times before tomorrow morning. You guys make the best cheerleading squad!

Woohoo! Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. You'll kick ass. Good call getting your suit ready too. And YES to glasses -- a must have for looking/feeling sharp.

Falcon's advice reminded me of this time I got a last minute call to do a live interview on the evening news for work. I was sooo nervous. After practicing my talking points for the last hour of the day, I left the office and stopped for a whiskey soda on the way to the studio :) I think it did the trick. Maybe not quite right at 8 am though.

• Like 1

Wish i had some advice, but my job is nothing like that. I naturally have social anxiety, so yeah.

All i can say is, just try and take deep breathes, get familiar with whatever you will be speaking about. Fear comes from the unknown. The more you know about what you will be speaking of, the more confidence you will have in your abilities. Plus, with adderall comes mega brain fog and forgetting simple words. I bet on the adderall you would not do as great as you think.

But being sober, you could do much better, and feel proud knowing you did it without a pill.

Good luck! It will be over before you know it. Worrying is a waste of time, they say. Not that it stops us from worrying lol

xox

Well everyone, all your good karma WORKED!

Case study was a breeze, I felt well prepared and was able to turn the "pitch" in to much more of a dialogue. Began with a joke, which came naturally, and always helps. The interviews that followed felt relaxed and like a conversation, I was able to weave in and out of my background and how I could help them make money & build business, and by the end of the 3 hours they were introducing me to the NY VP of Operations, which is a good sign!

They've already been in touch and let me know I'm through to the next round - to meet the 2 Global Heads of Sales and Strategy (or something, I was a bit dazed by this stage) and ALL ADDERALL FREE!!!

Honestly, everyone, from your cheering-from-the-sidelines through to the reminder that I'm a better person without a drug through to the accountability I have to this forum, I really honestly feel like I couldn't have done it without you. I was a better person without adderall, and I'm becoming a better person again.

Now we wait till the next steps - it aint over till it's over, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. You guys mean so much to me...

• Like 3

Ashley, clap.gifclap.gif How do those work for ya??

MFA,

cheers.gif

That is an awesome accomplishment. That is a seriously tough round to pass.

Awesome job!!

really, that was a very stressful and tough position you were in and it should be a huge confidence booster and whenever you have doubt you should look back and realize you can do anything without adderall..

• Like 1

Loving all the emoticons, all you cool people. Yeah, I'll have a beer and a cheerleading squad and a lounge by the pool...

But thanks and even if it doesn't eventuate in to a job, this was a milestone in terms of confidence building. Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow.