QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How do you know you're having a PAWS day?

I woke up this morning with a headache, felt pretty exhausted and achy and found it hard to concentrate, and it didn't take long to figure out that this was going to be a PAWS day. Sure, they suck, but at least I know the warning signs!

I was wondering about you guys... what are the telltale signs, and how do you react? Any "paws rituals" that work? Anything you do to make it go away faster or not concentrate on it as much?

<a href=" Motivation_Follows_Action

Hi sister from another mother I know why you are felling bad today yesterday was a very emotional day for you you have exerted so much mental energy to get thru your interview it was like you ran a Marathon so it is only natural to be exhausted tomorrow is a new day and I am shur you will feel better have a class of red win and go to sleep.

Love FALCON

• Like 3

I don't even know what PAWS is. lol

MFA - When I am having a PAWS day, I totally can just tell because I get a very specific headache in the back of my head and a specific feeling inside me. I have found that it is really difficult to do anything to stop it, and believe me, I have tried every way. I agree with Falcon that you probably overexerted yourself mentally and ended up in PAWS. although, sometimes it can be nothing that triggers it. Yesterday and the day before I ended up in PAWS, after all the work I've been doing in school. I ended up just staying in bed all of yesterday (didn't have classes or work though)...PAWS is definitely going to be different for everyone. I think I unfortunately am one of the worse cases of PAWS (i thiink maybe because i snorted a lot of the meds or just am unlucky). but in the beginning, my PAWS always lasted for days, not for a single day but many days back to back. Also I still get PAWS now. Of course its gotten so much better over time, but its slightly frustrating that i can still get PAWS bad now. But im VERY VERY used to it now. Anyway, i think the length of PAWS is going to differ based on the individual. There are certainly things I can do that will "faciliate" a state of PAWS and that would be overexerting myself mentally, or not sleeping enough among the things. Anyway, my PAWS really follows the definition of PAWS stated at this link textbook-like

http://www.addiction...-withdrawal.htm

• Like 1

For me it's definitely fatigue and brain fog. Like inrecovery, I used to get paws several days in a row, then just one day here and there, and it has always been pretty random. There's not much I can do except get a good night sleep and hope the next day is better. Part of recovery is learning that you can't control how you feel all the time; instead you must adapt to the ebbs and flow of life. It gets easier.

For me it's definitely fatigue and brain fog. Like inrecovery, I used to get paws several days in a row, then just one day here and there, and it has always been pretty random. There's not much I can do except get a good night sleep and hope the next day is better. Part of recovery is learning that you can't control how you feel all the time; instead you must adapt to the ebbs and flow of life. It gets easier.

"Part of recovery is learning that you can't control how you feel all the time"

I like that

Isn't it ironic how in recovery we want to control how we feel? We tie using pills as being in control of our emotions, when in fact that was the least control we've probably ever had of ourselves?! I 100% agree with you Cassie....letting recovery take its course is valuable and pretty much necessary.

Anyone here not suffering from paws ever any more? Or very very rarely?

I have a harder time relating to the concept of paws. I was about a year into my recovery before I was even aware of the condition. By then I was mostly recovered. For me there were bad days and better days and gradually the better days became more common with time. Even now, if I am suffering from paws like symptoms, I just assume it is just a bad day for whatever reason - we all have 'em and sometimes you just get up on the wrong side of your bed. I had a bad day about a month ago and blamed it on paws, but they just don't come around that often anymore.

I did have one physical symptom of withdrawl that lasted over a year after quitting. Sometimes, I would wake up around 3 or 4 AM with muscle tension/pain in my middle/lower back, and I could not get back to sleep. This was much worse when I was using adderall and attivan, however. Around 15 months post quit, I began sleeping all night without waking up most of the time although it still happens once every month or so. I bought more than one new mattress thinking that would solve the problem.

Not sure if the back pain/sleep interruption thing is paws-related or not. Maybe taking up yoga practice helped?

I agree with Cassie. You can't control how you feel in recovery and the best thing is to get a good nights rest and hope for the best.

But what's great is that in a totally different arena of your life when you quit you have regained control, knowing that your life's outcomes are back in your control, determined by your own hardwork, characteristics and decisions rather then at the control of adderall.

Isn't it ironic how in recovery we want to control how we feel? We tie using pills as being in control of our emotions, when in fact that was the least control we've probably ever had of ourselves?! I 100% agree with you Cassie....letting recovery take its course is valuable and pretty much necessary.

Yeah tieing using pills to being in control is ridiculous things us addicts can do...when the pills have so much control over us