QuittingAdderall.com Forums

New Therapist

Searchingsoul9

Have an appointment this Friday with a new counselor.

She seems very nice. Says she does cognitive behavioral therapy. Lots of 'hands on' work. Says it will take effort on my end, but that she would like to work with me.

Nervous. Hate talking about 'feelings'. Never been very good at it. Being a woman, you'd think i love that shit. But i hate it. Going to jump into this head on though and do whatever she tells me to do.

I just need to be open. Not something i am used to. I basically have kept everything to myself my whole life.

With the exception of drunken slip ups, confessing some of my secrets to friends, them forgetting...or just not wanting to bring it up.

Going on day 6 off the pills. Hooray?

Hope you all are well.

• Like 2

<a href="http://forum.quittin.../#entry6661">#1 Searchingsoul9

I am so happy you found a new therapist your old one did you more harm then good best of luck to you I have a good feeling you will be OK it will jest take time be open and honest with the new therapist don’t hold anything back .

Love FALCON

<a href="http://forum.quittin.../#entry6661">#1 Searchingsoul9

I am so happy you found a new therapist your old one did you more harm then good best of luck to you I have a good feeling you will be OK it will jest take time be open and honest with the new therapist don’t hold anything back .

Love FALCON

Thank you! I will let you know how it goes

SearchingSoul,

1st off - SO proud of you!! Whooooo hooo on day 6!!!

2nd thing - I LOVE cognitive behavioral therapy!!! It is the bomb! So that's why my Smart Recovery program is all about. There is NOTHING to fear. It's not what you think. I've had a few counselors as well. It won't be her probing all into your life and the way you think like for example asking you to re-hash your deepest darkest secrets or anything. Instead, the goal is to teach you how to change your thinking pattens and thoughts. As they teach you how to change maladaptive ways of thinking, you'll begin to start catching yourself and then correct the thought pattern..which then leads to different behaviors and feelings, etc. Don't worry! I think you'll really like it, but just make sure you like your therapist. If she's not a good fit, keep shopping until you find the right one. :)

• Like 1

SearchingSoul,

1st off - SO proud of you!! Whooooo hooo on day 6!!!

2nd thing - I LOVE cognitive behavioral therapy!!! It is the bomb! So that's why my Smart Recovery program is all about. There is NOTHING to fear. It's not what you think. I've had a few counselors as well. It won't be her probing all into your life and the way you think like for example asking you to re-hash your deepest darkest secrets or anything. Instead, the goal is to teach you how to change your thinking pattens and thoughts. As they teach you how to change maladaptive ways of thinking, you'll begin to start catching yourself and then correct the thought pattern..which then leads to different behaviors and feelings, etc. Don't worry! I think you'll really like it, but just make sure you like your therapist. If she's not a good fit, keep shopping until you find the right one. :)

Thank you! Any other advice/stories on Cognitive behavioral therapy?

I never have had any real therapy per say. I just don't know what to expect. But from what i have read on it, it sounds like a good fit for me.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Searchingsoul,

That's great news you found a new therapist. My therapist does cognitive behavioral therapy as well. I've been seeing her for a year. It's pretty much like LilTex said...teaching new ways to cope with your feelings. It's not about WHY we are the way we are, it's about moving forward and changing the unhealthy thinking patterns. You'll have to talk about your feeling, sure, but a good therapist will learn how to help you feel comfortable. Give him/her a chance to get to know you and be as open as you can. I'm really, really happy you found one. I hope it's a good fit for you! I text my counselor sometimes when I'm having a bad day or need advice on something, and she's there for me. She's a major part of my support system. Let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is better than psychoanalysis, that's for sure :-) but the best therapists use a combination, based on your circumstances and their diagnosis. Have you heard of dialectic behavioral therapy? Works really well for BPD and bipolar... ask your therapist about it, it's working well (I hope!) for me.

• Like 1

Never tried it since I have a lot of the same fears as you. BUT it has been highly recommended for my panic attacks and such, soo....... let me know how it goes and maybe I will be inspired!!! Congrats on DAY 6!!!!! And for taking this amazing step!!!!

Thank you lovely!!

I will for sure let you know how the therapy goes. I want to just open my mind up and really give it my all. I think it could be a good thing for us both, so i will keep ya posted

xox

Searchingsoul,

That's great news you found a new therapist. My therapist does cognitive behavioral therapy as well. I've been seeing her for a year. It's pretty much like LilTex said...teaching new ways to cope with your feelings. It's not about WHY we are the way we are, it's about moving forward and changing the unhealthy thinking patterns. You'll have to talk about your feeling, sure, but a good therapist will learn how to help you feel comfortable. Give him/her a chance to get to know you and be as open as you can. I'm really, really happy you found one. I hope it's a good fit for you! I text my counselor sometimes when I'm having a bad day or need advice on something, and she's there for me. She's a major part of my support system. Let us know how it goes.

Very inspiring, i hope my counselor is as good as yours. She seems it though. Fingers crossed.

I like how CBT sounds. I don't mind delving into my past and present issues, but i would prefer to focus on how to change my thinking patterns and how i react to daily occurrences. I will post on here the second i am back from my first session

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is better than psychoanalysis, that's for sure :-) but the best therapists use a combination, based on your circumstances and their diagnosis. Have you heard of dialectic behavioral therapy? Works really well for BPD and bipolar... ask your therapist about it, it's working well (I hope!) for me.

I haven't heard of it. I will google it though, and see what my counselor thinks. Yeah, i can talk to anyone about my issues, the main concern for me is having someone there with tools to help me work through them.

I'll keep you updated

xx