QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How long does it take?

Jazzy7

Hi everyone so I just made it to my 100 day mark and I couldn't be happier with how far I have come but I'm still so tired all the time! To those of you who are further in your recovery, when did you start to see your energy levels balance out and not feel tired all the time? Any feedback or stories will help, sometimes I just feel frustrated feeling like I've come so far but yet have so much further to go to feel better.

Hey there. 100 days is awesome! I'm around 140 days, so just a little more than you. I'd say my energy levels started to even out after 3 months or so, in terms of feeling relatively alert throughout the day and not feeling lethargic.

However, I noticed a HUGE difference when I got off ambien at about the 4-month mark after quitting adderall. I didn't even realize the effect ambien was having on my energy levels and mood during the day. Now I feel more energized and happier even with only 5-6 hours of natural sleep compared to feeling sluggish and bored after 8 hours of ambien sleep. May or may not be relevant to your situation.

• Like 2

Cat,

That's really interesting you said that, because my energy level was still so low even a year off of adderall. We've discussed it many times on here that klonopin could have a lot to do with it, but I was scared to get off. I've started to take less to test the theory, and my energy level has really started to improve. I wish I would've done this sooner in recovery but my anxiety was terrible, but it has made a difference, and I feel less blah throughout the day.

• Like 3

Ashley, yeah I know what you mean. I'm like, "why didn't I try going off ambien sooner" but the truth is I was not equipped to deal with the withdrawal of ambien until I felt comfortable in my adderall recovery. So don't beat yourself up, it's good you had a way to deal with anxiety while recovering from adderall, and now you're in a stronger and better position to successfully taper down or get to a comfortable level of klonopin.

Gotta say it feels soo good to be off all prescription meds, done with that adderall/ambien circle of hell!

• Like 2

Cat, I'm glad you had that experience with Ambien too. I came off it as well around the 6 week mark and completely improved my mental function.

I can't take Xanax any more, at all really. It TOTALLY knocks me out. I took .5 one evening last week to get over jet lag and I could barely keep my eyes open the next day.

Now if I could only find some energy...

Ashley: It wasn't as bad as I expected. The first night I didn't sleep at all, and that was scary. I spent the whole night and all the next day reading horror stories on online forums about people quitting ambien/benzos and not sleeping for months and truly believed that's what I would be dealing with. But the very next night I slept 7 hours and have not had a sleepless night since. I keep OTC sleep aids on hand in case I get anxiety as bedtime approaches.

MFA: Yes! Same here. It was almost immediate.