QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Is this still withdrawal or something else? (4 month in!)

zhenka11230

I quit smoking ~2 packs of cigarettes and 40mg dex-amp cold turkey about 4 month ago.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I quit BOTH drugs at the same time but I am still experiencing:

• Pressure sensations in my skull.
  • Easily overwhelmed with odd emotion resembling hopelessness mixed with rage.
  • Tingling sensations around my skull.
  • Depression symptoms like indecision, psycho-motor retardation. 
  • Brain fog.

Is it still withdrawal?  It is MUCH better then It was 2 month ago but still... Kind of starting to get scared I won't get better.

You are probably experiencing PAWS- (post acute withdrawal syndrome).  Some decent info at this link:                                                                                                                                                             http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm                                                                                 I'm at just about 10 months after going cold turkey from 35-40 mg/day adderall and just now starting to feel kinda normal, although if I get stressed my brain shuts down and I get REALLY irritable. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel though, but it has (for me, anyway) turned out to be a longer trip through it than I thought it would be, 10 months ago.  (Hell, I thought I'd just be foggy for a week or so then back to "normal", Big surprise.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                If you search this site, you'll find other stuff people have posted about PAWS.                                    Good luck!

• Like 1

that was also my reaction to quitting. the pressure sensations in the skull, and the tingling sensations in the skull. like the brain is missing something. That is still withdrawal. like someone mentioned earlier PAWS.  in my experience, it just very slowly gets better. just like you saw improvement since four months ago. unfortunately, that is  part of the recovery process.  If you read around on the forums you will see that adderall recovery takes an extremely long time. so prepare yourself for that. but it is so worth it.

good for you for four months clean and stay strong. 

• Like 2

The brain fog eventually starts to clear.  I just passed 7 mos. and I would say that I am at about 80 - 85% more clear than I was at the densest time.  You are at a difficult part in the quit where the progress isn't as significant as it was in the beginning but it is still there whether you see it or not.  Hang on and things will get better!

• Like 2

Thanks for posting - wow that's some strength there, to quit both smoking and adderall at the same time? No wonder your body is responding like it is - you took away all the pleasure chemicals! Did you know that dopamine is produced by the addict twice in the addict's mind? One is of course the drug itself, and the other is the rush you get of being able to know you're taking the drug soon. That's why we develop drug rituals (I used to hide my pills in a hatbox and the pleasure I got from taking that bottle out if the hatbox and putting the pink pill in my hands, was admittedly pretty big).

Your brain is severely lacking dopamine and is trying to fix itself. It took a long time to ruin, it will take a long time to get back. It hasn't been a year for me (about 9 months) and I still am pretty sure I'm nowhere near over this. That's why I keep fucking up. My brain chemistry needs to rerun to normal and I need to be patient.

Like you! Be patient with your body, and kind to it. It's put up with a lot of abuse from you ;-)...

• Like 4

Thanks for posting - wow that's some strength there, to quit both smoking and adderall at the same time? No wonder your body is responding like it is - you took away all the pleasure chemicals! Did you know that dopamine is produced by the addict twice in the addict's mind? One is of course the drug itself, and the other is the rush you get of being able to know you're taking the drug soon. That's why we develop drug rituals (I used to hide my pills in a hatbox and the pleasure I got from taking that bottle out if the hatbox and putting the pink pill in my hands, was admittedly pretty big).

Your brain is severely lacking dopamine and is trying to fix itself. It took a long time to ruin, it will take a long time to get back. It hasn't been a year for me (about 9 months) and I still am pretty sure I'm nowhere near over this. That's why I keep fucking up. My brain chemistry needs to rerun to normal and I need to be patient.

Like you! Be patient with your body, and kind to it. It's put up with a lot of abuse from you ;-)...

MFA from reading your recent posts or at least some of then it doesn't sound like you are f***ing stuff up at all

• Like 3

How long did you take Adderall for?

Also, sorry if this is hijacking but I was wondering if anyone knows if 25/30 mg on average on 20 separate occasions could cause withdrawal?  Been depressed for 3 months and took Adderall those 20 times 4-7 months ago.

To answer your second question - yes.  I'd say that's enough to deplete your dopamine stores.  It's your brain.  You shouldn't fuck around with it.  I learned the very, very hard way.  

• Like 1