QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Runners Club - NEW

Greg

Thanks for the support In Recovery! I ran 9 miles today which puts me at 13 for the week. New goal is 16 miles for the next few weeks.

This club rules!

That is great to hear. Congratz on 13 for the week. And great to hear you are bumping up your mileage. Sounds like you are getting close to ready for this half marathon!

• Like 1

LilTex,

I'm sorry the transition has been rough, and I hate to hear you've been unhappy. After experiencing the Woodlands, I can see what you'd miss, but it's really great you get to be close to family, and I bet you'll adjust just fine! Running into exes suuuucks, so hopefully you won't have to deal with that much. I'm so glad to have you back....don't leave us again!!! (In a non-needy way, of course :) )

The job I'm interviewing for is very entry level (like a degree isn't required, I don't think), but it would basically be a therapist's assistant for people going through rehab and dealing with psychiatric issues. It's SO interesting to me, but I don't think it's a viable option money wise. I'm going for my second interview tomorrow, so I don't even know where I stand, but the position would be working with other assistants on setting up "group" for the week and a lot of just spending time with the patients, sitting in on AA/NA meetings with them....stuff like that. Again, something I think I'd really enjoy, and I could learn a lot, but I'm finding that jobs that interest me really don't pay well. I don't want to look for a job solely for the money, because for me, it wouldn't be good, but at the same time I want to live an, at least, comfortable lifestyle. I'm just very excited to have this degree FINALLY, so I even have options. Do you like your new job? What do you do?

• Like 3

Ashley,

I get what you mean about 'fun' jobs not paying enough to live on. The company I'm at now has some positions that would be a lot more satisfying than the one I'm in, but I couldn't afford to work in those positions because the pay is shit. In my life, the jobs I've made the most money in were the worst in terms of stress and/or responsibility. It's not like I live a lavish lifestyle by any means, but I need to be at a baseline income to be comfortable.

• Like 1

Ashley,

It's not like you are joining the military or something like that.  If the job pays enough to simply exist, treat it like a short term adventure and explore that field of work.  I have had very few jobs - like 2 - in the last 25 years so don't have much advise for job searching for you.  But I can tell you that getting a job you like is really important because it is a daily thing.  At worst, I can tollerate my job and most of the time I look forward to my work day.

• Like 4

I have to agree with QO on this one.  I did a number of internships and low-paying but FUN jobs, where I was just barely able to support myself.  They are some of my favorite life experiences, and the ability to explore different career paths and meet some of my best friends was invaluable.  I would not trade those memories in for any amount of money.   

• Like 4

Ashley,

That sounds awesome! At least it will be a great way to see if you like doing that type of work and want to pursue it further without making a total commitment just yet. By the way, how did the interview go???  Hope it went well!  Can't wait to hear all about it!

I work in Logistics. It was not something I pursued. I just kind of fell into it through temping.  I've done well in the field and it pays well so I'm kind of in the same boat as Cassie.  I think someday down the road I might do something more fulfilling possibly, but for now it's been a good career for me.  I enjoy it on most days. :)

You are so sweet!  Of course I will not leave you guys!  You guys are my rock! 

• Like 3

Well, I realized I have a 7K this Saturday. I know this is like nothing to you all, because you're running rock stars, but I might be paying for slacking lately at this event. On a positive note, it gave me motivation to hit the treadmill at the gym after work tonight. I think these are realllly good for me to stay motivated. Maybe I should consider training for that half, Liltex! :)

• Like 3

Sounds great girls! 

Ashley, I would love it if you signed up!  I am seriously the most out of shape I've been since I got sober!  This winter back here really got me down with not being able to go outside and run/bike like I used to in Texas.  I was super sad and really just angry all winter about it, lol.

Anyhow, what I am saying is that we have like 8 weeks till this half.  I am starting from like zero miles right now.  Ha ha.  Sign up with me!  Do it! Do it!!

• Like 1

This run was Run of Luck for St. Paddy's Day. Some people were dressed up in fun stuff, but my friends and I were boring and didn't. I'm thinking of signing up for a 10-mile in May. I do better with an end goal. You could pull off a 10 miler at the drop of a hat!

• Like 3

You guys have been doing AMAZING -- keep up the good work!

Unfortunately, I've been slacking this week like really bad…

My sister was here visiting for her spring break and I was on my "shark week" so I only went to Bikram yoga once this week and it was today and I'm doing a tea detox and I almost blacked out, I was really really dizzy and seeing stars lol but I'm still eating solid foods so I didn't think much of it. I think I didn't drink enough water or something. I'm gonna try to go at least 4 times this week. And hearing you guys talk about running, makes me want to get a run in as well. Ya'll are so freakin' inspiring :)

I'm still sleeping 12 hours a night, every night… is this normal? Did you guys sleep this much the first 3 months after quitting? I'm getting worried, I feel this isn't normal or healthy. I don't know if it's because I make my own hours so I can sleep in if I desire but I really only want to be sleeping 8 hours a night. Any advice anyone?! Thanks in advance.

Keep up the great work everyone!

• Like 1