QuittingAdderall.com Forums

3 resumes a day club

Greg

I went to this on campus interview thing today, where a recruiter went over behavioral interview tactics. She kept emphasizing how important it was to prepare for interviews and prepared detailed stories using the STAR method with lots and lots of details about what you did and how you resolved it blah blah blah. STAR stands for Situation, tasks, action and resolve. And i got so stressed I spent my whole class trying to think of STAR stories to tell and I cant think of any. 

I mean overcoming adderall addiction is probably my best "STAR" story but I dont plan to bring that up! Does anyone have ideas?

There are common interview questions. "Tell me about yourself " i feel is guaranteed. But the rest of the questions, in my experience have been different from interview to interview. I cannot really predict what they are going to ask.

She also said be prepared and be confidant . She said to tell stories, with a beginning a middle and an end. And she wants lots of details and to see our thought process as we tell the story. She said to not be general but be specific in examples.

She also said that common no-nos

"lack of professionalism - dont mention a time you got drunk

Dont give very short answers (sometimes I do this!! to make the interview more conversational)

dont protray a negative attitude toward former coworkers, etc

and she kept emphasizing to be specific and to give lots of detail.

I am drawing a blank on SPECIFIC EXAMPLES

But Justin I like your advice better than hers. anyone else have advice?

• Like 1

Pick two or three situations where you either had a conflict or solved a problem at work and you can use those as a base for any of those questions. Make them up (in advance) if you can't think of anything. Be positive and enthusiastic, that's the most important part.

• Like 2

Pick two or three situations where you either had a conflict or solved a problem at work and you can use those as a base for any of those questions. Make them up (in advance) if you can't think of anything. Be positive and enthusiastic, that's the most important part.

Thank you Cassie and JustinW. I really, really like that idea. Im starting to feel better.

I've already come up with a few examples, a project I initated at my former job that impressed my supervisor, and seperately marketing project I initated at my current job that my supervisor really liked and was impressed by.

As for conflicts I have a situation where my team was working on a project and we were a little disorganized and came close to missing the deadline BUT i learned from that experience and since then when i work on teams I have come up with a organized system so  group porjects are always finished way before deadlines. I also jotted down a few things that I liked about the company and why i want to work there and what interests me about it. 

My weakness I think will be that sometimes i get very into a task i am working on and dont stop to take a break when a break may give me a chance to clear my mind. Its a weakness i am aware of and am working towards. But when it comes to prioritizing, i do not let that weakness get in the way, as I always make sure to prioritize the most important task first.

I REALLY think you are right about being positive and enthusiastic being really, really, really important. Im going to use a judgement call and disregard what that lady said about being SPECIFIC blah blah. I think its more important to be concise and to not ramble.=.BUT if i sense the interviewer wants specifics I will try to be as specific as possible. I will try to go with the flow.

Anymore advice guys?

It is more important to be concise and not ramble. Put yourself in their shoes. Interviewer doesn't want to talk to you longer than necessary, lol.

Thats what I thought. She was saying she would like answers to go on for 8 to 10 minutes! She also said something that worried me, that if the interviewer stops asking you questions quickly into the interview that is a bad sign and means that they have already basically ruled you out (which really frightens me that my interview will fizzle out like halfway through). But while she has expertise, im not going to take everything she says as the fact. Because I really disagree with the whole 8 minute answer thing. I mean, if i were interviewing someone, Id would not want them to ramble on and on and on. 

In essence, you are selling a product to the interviewer, that product is you.  You need to convince them that you are going to make them look like a superstar for hiring you.  As the great Joe Salzano taught me, sell using the F.A.B. method - features, advantages, benefits.

• Like 1

Justin W - i really like that advice about selling me as a product!!

I went to my career center today and all the counselors said the 8 minute answer thing is absurd advice and not to do that. So Im sticking with my strategy for now - try NOT to sound rehearsed, be spontaneous, be a fit and have a couple examples in mind. Then be enthusiastic, appreciative and confidant.

• Like 1

I agree with those counselors who said the 8-10 minute answer thing was absurd.   That lady who told you that obviously hasn't sat through very many interviews.  Sounds like she is a bullshitter who likes a good story.  Here are a couple of my random thoughts.  Marketing is basically promoting and selling things - goods and or services.  If you cannot confidently promote and sell yourself first, how on earth could you do it for a company and promote a product you are just learning about?  I know these are just internships your are applying for, but maybe it is a good thing you didn't flush the rest of your Xanax pills already :P

• Like 1

Hi guys, I had my interviews today. nearly missed my flight after forgetting to set my alarm! I got tour of the facilities and then two sit down interviews, one with HR and the other with a Manager.

I got a email when I got back home from HR saying that she wants to talk to me early next week about next the steps in the interview process. The interview I had today was supposed to be my FINAL interview. So Im not sure what is happening...it sounds like they want to put me through another round of interviews?? She also said she needed me to resubmit my information on the careers website because for some reason my application was missing from their database.

I dont like this guessing game, but at least I heard back something and it wasnt a rejection letter.

• Like 1

It sounds like they are stalling.  Perhaps they have one or two other candidates that they want to interview but don't have the guts to say it?  Or maybe they really did lose your paperwork.  Keep playing the game it's the only way to have a chance of winning!

No, my application really wasnt in the system. I checked from my end as well. it was bizarre.

Anyway, she said she is going to need about 15 minutes to talk to me over the phone tomorrow at 10am. So the phone conversation has been scheduled.

It sounds like your interview went well, InRecovery. I hope you get some news soon. I haven't been on hhere much, because it won't let me post via my phone. Any of you savvy with technology know why it would keep logging me out after I logged on to this site? It's so annoying! I had to change my password recently, and it's been acting weird ever since. I don't get on my computer that often, so I want to be able to post from my phone.

Anywayyyy, I had my first day of training today. It was long (8:30-5) with lots of information, but I mostly like what I've learned so far...I'll keep you posted :) Another long day of training tomorrow.

• Like 1

Congratulations, InRecovery! I'm so happy for you! When will you start? My phone problem fixed itself also, but nice iPhone jab, JustinW :)

Day 2 is going well. It's more interesting then yesterday since we got the basic necessary orientation stuff out of the way yesterday. I'm struggling with being a little tired, because my schedule was so different with my last job, but I think my body will adapt. Ok, just wanted to check in on my lunch break....3.5 hours to go today! :)

• Like 1

Still no more resumes sent out on my side, but I have tapped two more of my connections to let them know that I am looking for greener pastures.  One of them said that he has a lot of openings right now that he is trying to fill; maybe it will go somewhere?

I'm always happy to poke fun at people who try to use toys in a professional capacity Ashley!  :ph34r:  I'm glad to hear that training is treating you well.

• Like 1

Hey Ashley I start June 10. Maybe my grades will go up now that I don't have to spend time studying for interviews. It is for mktg for veriz wireless! If the internship works out it can transition to a full time job. I go back to school, finish my mba and I will have a job lined up the following summer. This is really what I was hoping to do with my degree here because I have enjoyed my marketing classes far more than my finance classes and I am excited to be getting a chance to get experience doing it now.

Justin, don't forget to send out three resumes a day! Ashley bagged two jobs in less than two weeks and I got two in about 5 weeks using this method. So submit. Submit. Submit. Be prepared to never hear back from most places. I think 99 % of the places I applied for rejected me or didn't respond. But some will bite if u keep submitting. You mentioned having a professional service do your resume and that could be a great idea.

Ashley, I'm glad you are easing into the job. You are learning new skills and hope u are enjoying yourself! Ashley, Can u believe we started this thread 5 weeks ago and here we are?

• Like 1

Congrats InRecovery, this is amazing news and you've totally earned it, GREAT job and you too Ashley! This is so awesome, everyone is kickin' ass and taking names. And Justin you will be too soon enough.

So I had my interview Friday and it went great. It's just for a side job and at night, so I'm also looking for a full time job during the day or freelance work -- still while I'm doing the Etsy shop. It's a juggling act but I love it. The position is to be one of the artist/instructors for the painting parties at different restaurants and bars. You paint and drink and it's really fun and social and interactive. I actually had my first one last night and I was assisting! It was so much fun and I have my second assisting gig this Sunday and if all goes well, I can start teaching on my own in May! I know it's very untraditional and not the average 9-5 job but I'm not the traditional 9-5 type of gal lol I'm really excited for everyone here -- it seems like we're all doing great :)

• Like 2

Congrats Inrecovery and Ashley, and Caroline, your painting job sounds awesome. I hate the corporate world - I work in education but it still feels corporate because it's for-profit. Working for other people blows. You are on the right track creating your own path!

• Like 2

Sweetcarolinee,

That sounds very cool. You should take advantage of being artsy and creative....good for you!

There are four of us altogether training, and today when we're sitting in the training room, one of the girl's phone alarm goes off during our session. She's like "sorry, I have to take my pill." My mind automatically goes to, "I wonder if it's adderall." So after that, I'm like watching her to see if she acts like she's on it, which she totally doesn't. It's so annoying that it even matters to me. She could be taking anything, and even if it is adderall....SO WHAT?! Then, I go to get coffee on my lunch break, and a random girl is sitting there with a pill bottle on the table. I realize I'm trying to read it. It's not like I'm trying to get any from them, it's just a curiosity thing. Then I start worrying....is this abnormal??? The only answer I can come up with is that was my life for 7 years, and it's like a phobia to be around it. Anyone else experience this to some extent?

• Like 2

I think there will always be that fear in us because of what we went through. There are a couple people I know who take adderall to study and sometimes I'll hear one of them say that they are on adderall and so they need a cigarette.  I start paying attention to their behavior and then I worry about how easy it is for me to get access to it...then I shake it off. I don't think its unnatural to have that fear given what it did to us. 

• Like 1