QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Occasional Adderall after Quitting?

Hi Friends,

So happy to have found this website!  I was first prescribed 20 xr during my junior year of college but really only took it on occasion to get some serious studying done. Worked great throughout the rest of college.  In the years since, ive had lots of (stressful) careers and and ultimately started abusing by taking more than I was prescribed.  I never really took it for recreational purposes....just to be super productive at work.  Fast forward about 2 years and I've finally got the courage to talk to someone about quitting.  Problem is...Im in nursing school and seriously dont know if I would be able to make it through without any sort of stimulant.  (so sad, but true).  I'd love to get to the point where I can go some days without it and only utilize it when I really need it.  

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?  Trying to quit and then use occasionally as needed is probably not a suggested method.  Has anyone had any experience quitting adderall and then being able to take vyvanse normally as prescribed?  I'm just trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Carolinablues,

In my opinion and experience, once you cross the line into abusing stimulants, you can't back pedal and restart; therefore the line has been crossed. Vyvanse, Ritalin, Adderall, and whatever other stimulant drugs are out there=speed. We've talked about it on here before, but it's like an alcoholic switching from drinking beer to wine. It doesn't work. To answer your question, if you think you are addicted to adderall and want to quit....it's black and white. Stimulant addicts, like myself, have no gray area to take an adderall here and there....there is way too much risk involved. I think the saying is something like one is too many, and a thousand is never enough. I'm in no place to say you are an addict, only you truly know that, but the good news is, no matter what adderall has led you to believe, you can lead a happy and good life without it.....a much more fulfilling life. If quitting is what you decide, I commend you! Do you have any school breaks anytime soon??

• Like 4

Hi there CarolinaBlues, how are ya?

I have to say, I couldn't agree more with the 2 lovely ladies above.

I tried many times (in the last 7 years of using, before quitting) to take it only on "occasion" or every other day or only when I really needed it and it NEVER worked for me, the next day I was still poppin' those bitches like skittles. I guess I wasn't serious about quitting yet or didn't really want too or didn't have the right resources/support (like this website and yoga) to quit yet.

You can't take or drink something on occasion if you quit it. You know.

There are different methods to quitting, which works better for different people such as going cold turkey or weening off them slowly. If you are serious about quitting definitely tell your doctor you are and cut ties with how or whoever you get your meds from and don't keep it a secret, it's okay to tell people closest to you (your quitting) so they can help and support you.

I remember one time in college, this must have been my 2nd year on them and in school, I was so over taking adderall and feeling crazy and drinking all the time and being so unhealthy and addicted to a pill, I got my new, full bottle in the mail and dumped them all in the toilet (sorry fishes, I feel like an asshole). And then 2 days later, I freaked out, thought I was going to fail school and called my mom, told her what I did and my doctor got me more pills… umm what?

I don't think I would have a problem with depression or have had a problem with booze, if it wasn't because of Adderall but it's my own fault. I always say this but my only regret is not quitting them sooner.

I honestly don't know if I would have been able to quit if it wasn't for this site and the people on it. It's a God sent and remember, the longer you wait to quit, the harder it is to quit but you can do it and we're here for you!

• Like 3

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I agree...there really is no room for a grey area in something like this.  I feel like adderall has changed my personality and I can't wait to get back to the old me!  Cassie-I really appreciate the insight and agree completely.  I am so thankful to have come across this sight.  I have given my pills to my (extremely awesome and supportive) fiance to make sure I don't take more than my prescribed dose.  I plan on trying to taper off until the end of the semester and then quit completely.  I have a few weeks off from school which should help.  Adderall is the worst!  

Hey there good luck with your quest to stop.

I'm curious to know how your personality changed?  I noticed a lot of changes in myself and was curious how things changed for other users

• Like 1