QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Permanent Brain/Other Damage?

This is a hard question to answer conclusively. There isn't any scientific evidence to suggest that these stimulants cause brain damage.  But this is a very poorly researched drug and we are in the dark ages when it comes to brain science. Adderall really messes with your brain chemistry, and it takes a while to re-calibrate.  Essentially adderall weakens your minds motivations, signals and  natural cues. It takes some time to become excited about a project and be motivated to complete it.

It takes time. Your brain does recover, you just need to let recovery take it course. It has its own timeline.In early recovery i slept a lot a year later I don't feel like I have damaged my brain in a significant way. But  there are no brain before and after photos. So its impossible to tell. 

I've thought about this a lot. I have been sober for 16 months 11 days and from the research I've done I believe our brain will fully recover but like zerokewl said it will take a lot of time. I don't think my brain has fully recovered yet. I'm hoping after two years it may be back to normal? I abused adderall and amphetamines hardcore for about 3 years. I'm not really sure though. But keep going it will get better one day at a time and we are all here for you.

I used to hear voices coming out of the fans. And the shower, and the air conditioner...and in the trees...and in my head. It was horrible.

Adderall is horrific.

I definitely still suffer from post withdrawal but my motivation has come back. Unless I'm exhausted and I want to collapse on the couch, of course I do not have motivation. I have motivation in how a normal person will have motivation.

• Like 1

I was also having really hard time having conversations with people. I felt awkward and would stumble over my words. Very out of character for me and quite distressing!

When you take a lot, u get wired. It's like trying to talk to someone with 10 cups of coffee in you.

When you take a lot, u get wired. It's like trying to talk to someone with 10 cups of coffee in you.

I experienced that even at a low dose. I couldn't speak fluidly and I always questioned if what I was saying was appropriate to the conversation .
  • Like 3

I had the same conversational awkwardness when abusing adderall. My friends that were around me a lot during that time said it was like a delay in my brain when responding to normal conversational things...and these were people I was totally comfortable with. I feel like adderall made me act really awkward, and my personality was just flat.....or at least that's how I viewed it.

I didn't view my personality as flat, but I never really thought about it.  I don't know how long I have been awkward and "flat" without noticing it.  It really only became noticeable (to me) in the last couple of months.  The people in my life didn't mention it.  Two main reasons...

1.  They didn't know me before Adderall, so no difference to them; or

2.  They had seen/experienced the changes and didn't want to set me off (my poor husband :blush:).

Every day is a challenge (why is everything so HARD?), but I am never going back! 

I am going on 18 months and wonder about this topic everyday.... Has anyone gotten back to a pre adderall mental state? I constantly feel like my brain is weak and damaged. Hoping there is potential in th

e future to be back close to 100%

Yes, somewhere between 2 and 2.5 years
  • Like 2

I am not back to preadderall state yet because I still can potentially face really bad withdrawal such as yesterday. Especially yesterday. I have normal motivation and drive though whereas when I quit I felt zero motivation and zero passion for anything.

But Cassie May be right about that time frame and I am an exception.

• Like 1