QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Therapy...does it help?

Traceme

Has anyone here had a positive experience with going to see a therapist?  I know many people go just to walk out with an Rx of a different color. 

Has anyone been upfront with their doctor and said " NO MEDS" ...and actually had the doctor listen?  

What I'm looking for is tools...coping tools for people getting off this horrible stuff.  I have a feeling a lot of people do this on there own.  Is that true?

I am a HUGE advocate...but I wanted to see how helpful it was to others.  I just don't want to walk out with meds...or to have my love walk out with meds.  I imagine that if I am upfront about that...it won't happen.  Maybe they don't even do that.  I'm not sure what to expect really.  I just know that mental health coincides with physical health-working on them both together just makes sense if you can find a doc to help you work towards your goals.  Anyone have a negative experience???

I have mixed emotions on that it really takes a lot of time and money to get any benefit talking years and $80 per visit avg 1-2 times a month adds up. Hypnotherapy is something I feel might be more beneficial do some research see what you think. It basically can bypass a lot of talking sessions by getting to the root of the problem. I have thought about doing it but because of costs and lack of funds right now I haven't.

• Like 1

In your experience, have they given you "tools" to work through the issues in your life...or do you feel like your talking to someone to just talk it out?  I'm not not one to "talk" out my feelings either...I would rather write it all down...hand it to someone and say "so...what do you think?" ... lol... I would probably have to wake them up first.  

Lol sorry idk why I'm just seeing this reply of yours smh

I actually just had a session last night. I told her, I can't stand coming here and talking. Nor, do I want to be here. But I'm here bc everyone tells me I need therapy.. Lol

There are seriously about 5 ppl who have told me I needed to goto therapy..

Even tho I don't want to be there, I need to force myself to do the work and get through it. Last night she told me she wants me to start writing stuff down. How I feel and stuff. She said you would be surprised what comes out when you write and the things that come out and what you find out about yourself. 🙄

She always wants me to write letters to people I have 'unfinished business' with.. Not to actually give the letters to those people, but to get it all out.

I honestly don't want to do this bullcrap, but I'm gonna try.

Tired of living in my past and having it affect my future.

time to move on and be happy. Wish I wasn't so stubborn all those years and did this earlier.

I asked her yesterday I'm like well that's why you're here, can't you just fix me? That's your job LOL

I would suggest you start writing too. She's probably right, and I have heard about people doing this before.. At this point I feel like I have nothing to lose..

• Like 1

LOL You and I sound similar. :) I will start writing.  If anything-I can always take it in to my soon to be therapist and just slap it down and say read this and I'll be back next week-fix me after you know me. :)   It all sounds exhausting really.  Like when you're in a relationship and you just want to be 5 years down the road going on vacation with one another saying "Do you remember when we couldn't even blah blah blah? " ...

I've got nothing to lose as well-and if I don't get out of my own head soon I'll go crazy, I know it.  Maybe therapy will just be like a really weird family vacation that a I just take by myself...with a cousin I've never met listening to all my crap.