QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Ambien and Klonapin

DelaneyJuliette

Just posting this here for accountability.   I am on day 57 of no adderall (or alcohol) but I still take klonapin daily and ambien a few times a week.   I know this forum is for quitting adderall but @Hopefulily inspired me to post this bc of talking ab the amphetamine/downer addiction cycle.  I was in that.  Now i am free of the amphetamines which is my main drug of choice always but I can see how I am psychologically dependent on these other two.  (I take wellbutrin and zoloft but those are not issues to me bc I don't take them to instantly try to change my mood.)  I want to begin my formal taper from these other 2 meds like I did last time I quit and had 6 months.  I know I can do it bc i have done it before.  I just keep putting it off and telling myself that I'm staying away from the adderall and that's all that matters for now (which has also been true.)  AND I can't ignore these other 2 forever but I'm a little scared. 

• Like 4

Its been a little while since I visited this site. Good to see your post. I am trying to remember when I first gave up the ambien. I think it was 30 days after quitting Adderall. I read this scary article or study about the dangers of sleeping pills long term, and decided they have to go if I want to have any chance of recovery and avoid long term brain damage. I was on the Adderall Ambien cycle for years. Now I am doing magnesium glycate and melatonin, and sometimes Benadryl. The ambien is funny. What a trip. Its like sleepwalking to the fridge, making meals, and making a mess without any consciousness the next day. I loved knocking myself out with that "Dirtstick" lol...it always worked in knocking me out. I think ambient and klonopin take a different type of battle plan and mental preparation. One of the other reasons I gave myself two years to feel like shit or put any career expectations on myself. 

Thank u so much for responding!  Yes I take the ambien when I want the day to be done.  But it never really makes me feel much different until the day after when I'm barely remembering shit and I'm crazy with anxiety.  The klonapin is largely just a crutch at this point.  I am going down to 1 or less a day and have stuck with that now for 3 days.  I take more ambien than I need to bc when I take it and it doesn't make me feel differently I get mad and I take more.  It's like now that I am 67 days without adderall I'm rebelling with these other meds that don't even do what I want.  I feel trapped by them and I don't like that feeling.   I am very very grateful to be as far out of the adderall trap as I am, but these meds are a slippery slope for me.  I drank last week after Taki g ambien which again as an isolated incident wasn't the end of the world but it scares me.  I want to snap my fingers gers and be as far away from them as I am with adderall.   A part of me is also scared about what will I do when I no longer just have to get through the day without using.  Like in a weird way just not using has been a relieving way to think.  But I have to remember it's still only 2 months 

• 2 months later...

i spent every day of my cold turkey attempt, using some other "substances" to just knock me out.  I think i was hoping I could sleep thru the withdrawals. Nyquil, sedatives, dabs, whatever i could get my hands on except alcohol...   not going back there again either.

I guess my Amp brain thought it was so smart i could just sleep thru it....  wake up and be fine.  then for 2 days i had none of the substances i used to sleep and i was psychotic.  This is no joke, the psychosis, and intense anger i'd never ever felt in my life....     

i feel like an amateur cuz I'm tapering, instead of suffering thru another week of hell.  

But after all I have read here, i can see replacing one for another is just plain stupid.  How did these smart pills make me so stupid?

• Like 1

I did this with melatonin. Thought I could sleep through it too!

that’s great you are able to taper. I feel like people who taper have less withdrawal, but it takes a lot of self discipline. 

I couldn’t taper. I’d always find an excuse to take another half lol! It’s crazy looking back. Just shows me how much of a problem I had… Cold turkey was the only way I finally quit.