QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Using Wellbutrin to help quit

Girevik

Been using two or three 75mg of Wellbutrin to help quit the addy. Usually stack it with magnesium first thing in the morning and washing them down with coffee or energy drink. The first week off adderall is easy enough (almost like you still have some in your system) but the third week is tough. Now I'm up to two months without Adderall and it's getting tough again. Anyone else use Wellbutrin to help quit?

I started addy in 2011 and took an average of 30mg a day sometimes bumping it up to 50mg. Been off it for up to 6 months then relapsed again. Before quitting I usually pair down to 15mg then go cold turkey.  

I have used it but didn't start until after my first year of quitting. It did seem to help me some for sure get past some bad depression. I stopped using it cold turkey about two weeks ago had really no bad side effects besides some mild  headaches definitely a big plus for that medication. But if you think any pill/ supplement will make that first year not tough your mistaken. The first year is a struggle no way around it exercise, diet , sunlight and positive thinking is your best tools to survive addy free. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think 300 is about the max most docs will prescribe, I would give it 2-3 weeks to allow things to adjust a bit. Everyone is different and it is possible you will need something else. Just be careful not to rush into switching meds too fast and/or signing up for another difficult to quit alternative.. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2017 at 2:28 PM, Kiona said:

I'm taking Wellbutrin XL 300 mg. I don't think it's made much of a difference in my depression.

It helps some just very subtle but to be honest a good day in the sunlight does more. That’s why I quit it this summer since I spent a lot of time outside just felt it wasn’t needed. 

• Like 1

I also just started using wellbutrin once a day to see if it would help make things a little easier. I'm kind of worried it will work in a few similar ways to adderall and im not super into the idea of getting on another medication. I noticed an improvement shortly after taking it though.

Frank did you notice any changes in your weight while taking wellbutrin? I really don't want to lose weight taking a medication if its possible

15 hours ago, SeanW said:

Coming up on 7 months clean. Used Wellbutrin 3-5 didn't really notice much of a difference so I figured I'd stop. Didn't want to be hooked on any meds.

Sean how are you feeling at 7mo? I am shortly behind you at 5mo and still fighting some strong depression especially in the mornings, low modivation and lack of energy. Some days I feel almost normal however days like today I called in sick as I just woke up totally exhausted... 

I am taking welbutrin however it's no miracle maker. I think I am going to stop taking it also.

4 hours ago, EricP said:

Sean how are you feeling at 7mo? I am shortly behind you at 5mo and still fighting some strong depression especially in the mornings, low modivation and lack of energy. Some days I feel almost normal however days like today I called in sick as I just woke up totally exhausted... 

I am taking welbutrin however it's no miracle maker. I think I am going to stop taking it also.

To be honest the first six months improvement seemed very gradual and hardly noticeable but in the past couple weeks I've felt significantly better. Still seem to have good days and bad days but the good days seem better. Definitely getting my energy back and feeling stronger. Emotions are still out of whack, looking forward to the next few months and reaching one year.

6 hours ago, SeanW said:

You're welcome. I agree it is a very lonely, tough recovery.. 

Also wondered if you or anyone else has been ever able to link your lowest days to prior good/busy days?

For instance last weekend I had a family reunion that I helped coordinate. Leading up to it I felt pretty good and got what I needed to done. I was feeling pretty good during the party with all my family till I began to mentally fade toward the end and ever since I have basically physically crashed. Today I am feeling a little better however it took like 4 days to recover.

• Like 1

That's very interesting, i wouldn't have put that together but now that you mention it yes. One day last week we were understaffed and super busy at the bar that I work at so I had to work like a maniac just to keep up. By the end I was physically and mentally exhausted and it took me like three or four days of feeling useless to recover.