QuittingAdderall.com Forums

ONE MONTH CLEAN.. STRATERRA?

lizbeth

Hi!

Long story short about four years ago I quit adderall after a long time of use and abuse. I got back on it about two years ago, started to reabuse and am now 30 days clean and feeling great! I was taking about 60-120  mg a day so definitely took a few weeks of withdrawls etc. 

I started seeing a new psychiatrist who I was very honest with and helped me taper off the adderall, now after 30 days she has started me on straterra. Today was the first day, 25mg. She said this drug is not a controlled substance, and is not known for being abused etc and can help with ADD. I don't know how i feel about it. I seem to just be kinda blah today and was wondeirng if anyone has found success with this drug or think its best to just stay clean from everything overall? I would appreciate any insight or suggestions! I really do struggle with ADHD and am mostly concerned about weight gain, as I went from 120-165 the first time i quit (i am a 5'5 26 year old female, and was 23 at the time). I've gained about 10 pounds since in the 30 days of being clean which isn't terrible but anyways if anyone has any tips or has taken straterra or any other drug that is worked for them that is NON ADDICTIVE would appreciate your comments!!

thanks and love you all! xo

Dear Lizbeth,

Did you know that Strattera “is 9 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to the average medication”: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/07/top-ten-legal-drugs-linked-to-violence/ 

Additionally, Strattera shares the same black box warning (strictest FDA drug label warning) on all antidepressants stating that these drugs increase suicide risks. (http://adhddrugslongterm.com/References/FDA_Strattera_Label(2017-08-01_5-33-52PM).pdf) Strattera’s FDA Medication Guide warns parents to watch for suicidal thoughts in their children, as well as anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, restlessness, mania and depression (http://adhddrugslongterm.com/References/FDA_Strattera_Label(2017-08-01_5-33-52PM).pdf). Parents are also warned that new psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations may emerge. Common side effects of Strattera that the Medication Guide reports in children and teenagers include tiredness and mood swings, and in adults, sexual problems  Are you sure you still want to do this?

Paid by the pharmaceutical industry, psychiatry markets medications without being concerned about how badly these drugs progressively destroy people's mental and physical equilibrium. I've initiated a lawsuit about this misrepresentation, we are also suing the manufacturer of Strattera in this class-action suit for skewing the risk/benefit ratio of this drug. See this pdf I've presented to my law firm if you have time and if you want to fully understand the extent of this misrepresentation and the vested interests responsible: http://adhddrugslongterm.com/Misrepresentation_of_ADHD.pdf  Join my class-action suit if you already have damages form any ADHD drug and would like to get compensation from those violating your right to informed consent. You can fill this 5 minute questionnaire if your damages are documentable, your name will be publicly disclosed but none of your side effects, damages or your medical record, my law firm (McEldrewYoung) will talk to you and get your consent and verify my words before you officially join: http://adhddrugslongterm.com/class-action-lawsuit/   

Best of luck, Asli Theobald, MS, information analyst    

My personal experience with straterra was God awful, although take my story with a grain of salt because I've heard really mixed reviews about it from other people. Could boil down to a brain-chemistry thing, but for me, it made me feel CRAZY.

I was on it for a month, and while it wasn't super weird when I was titrating up, as soon as I got to the prescribed dosage I can't remember two weeks of my life. It was that insane. No idea what I did, my memory was completely shot. I also felt loopy as can be, said things I didn't mean... I mean it was awful. I'd stay far, far away if I were you. No drug has ever scared me as much as straterra did.

• Like 2

Could you maybe explain to people how after two years of quitting you went back? Why did you? Did you instantly regret it? We're your problems resolved by starting again or just get worse? I'm not trying to judge but just like to gain insight to identify any future thoughts of getting back on after quitting for so long.

Only antidepressants I'd recommend is also Wellbutrin from personal experience. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey Frank! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Happy to give some insight to my thought process/experience on getting back into adderall after such a long time.

I had started a new job at a huge movie studio in Los Angeles. It was my first BIG job out of college (had a couple marketing jobs prior but nothing that was very demanding) the job was administrative, extremely. I needed help and hoped that after a long break I could get back into adderall in a way that it used to help me when I first started. In addition to work reasons I had a huge crush on one of my coworkers. While on adderall I used to weigh about 125-135 (I’m 5’5.5) once I quit the first time I gained about 40 pounds but had lost some of that so when I started at the studio I was about 150. I wanted to feel like my old self. Organized, ambitious, skinny, all the things adderall “promises” us. And no I absolutely did NOT regret getting back on it AT ALL. What I had hoped would happen, happened. I killed it at my job, I lost about 20 pounds. Started dating my crush at work. It was great. But after about 9 months I started abusing, I developed HORRIBLE anxiety I mean it was BAD. For the last year I knew I needed to quit. By the grace of god I was able to quit (cold turkey) in October. I’m back to 150 pounds and I’m on lexapro and Wellbutrin (the straterea did not work out) I feel better than EVER. Working out regurlary not irritable just overall feeling WONDERFUL. The weight part still is really hard for me but I know I’ll get back into shape. I’m still young-ish (27) and I can’t wait to ring in 2018 adderall free!!! I would like to quickly say that I wouldn’t have changed anything. These TWO journeys have thaught me so much about myself. That I’m able to conquer anything. They’ve taught me self confidence. If I can’t believe in myself then who will. I used to think I’d be nothing without adderall. Now I’ve learned I’m even more than adderall could have ever made me! I also think a lot of us are miss diagnosed. The lexapro and Wellbutrin have SAVED. MY. LIFE. My psychiatrist is a total bitch and basically tells me everything I know myself but dont want to hear and I truly believe she finally took the time to diagnose me correctly. For the first time in my life I feel normal!!!!!! I would encourage everyone to find a professional who is willing to put in the work to figure out what it is you’re mind/body really needs. I think a lot of adderall abusers are self medicating. If it’s not working, there’s a reason. And there’s an answer. A solution. Take control of your life. Put in the work and you’ll get there. It’s not easy and I still have a lot of work to do. But I know and can promise you. ITS. WORTH. IT.

I can also say Straterra as I recently gave it a try as a "non-stimulant" supposedly non addictive ADHD alternative that works with your norephedrine uptake not with dopamine. First few days at 40mg gave me a little zing followed by a crash to where I felt very sleepy then a bit trouble sleeping at night. Doc said to try two and wow gave me a big zing however can't say super functional, a bit scatter brained honestly... Then bad insomnia and no libido whatsoever... I could see maybe this drug could work for someone who never tried Adderall and got the right dose figured out however definitely is not for me.