QuittingAdderall.com Forums

acetylcholine trial and error

EricP

After a little experimenting with supplements I have discovered a few things about brain fog. Reading many sites will encourage supplements or a diet containing a high choline to help boost acetylcholine which increases memory, focus and cognitive function. So I tried it... And for me it made it 5 times WORSE. So then I read about having too much acetylcholine and the effects are listed about the same as I experienced using these supplements.

So it turns out if dopamine is at a low then acetylcholine tends to be high actually causing a negative effect. Since there is no easy way to boost dopamine without adderall or other prescription methods I decided to stop the choline supplements or any supplement that aids choline; as well as some caution in my diet. While still having the same tiredness and lack of motivation I have noticed a pretty obvious fog lift in mental function. 

I will continue to experiment and report back however this far this has proven to be pretty useful for me. Also supposedly taking benadryl will also block acetylcholine however in past experience it has a drowsy effect so not sure I will try that just yet. 

Just though I would share...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frank B said:

If I blacked out behind the wheel from binging on addy for days could have killed someone and actually been in prison. I’d rather take this penalty and should consider myself lucky. Yes it fucking sucks at times but could always be worse.

i'm horrified at myself sometimes, thinking back how reckless a driver i was on adderall- i was on my phone 90% of the time while driving, and not just "texting". doing shit like rearranging playlists, downloading stuff.. it's a miracle i never killed someone or myself. i did get pulled over once for swerving, dead of the night on a turnpike. i must have been tweaked out of my mind (as usual), but the officer simply accepted my "just tired" explanation. maybe if that had gone another way, i might have been off this shit far sooner.

• Like 3

@EricP  my only experience with acetylcholine was while experimenting with nootropics and piracetam. my understanding is that taking a racetam without a ACh supplement can cause headaches and other issues, possibly because the racetam requires more of it to work effectively? not sure how ACh supplements would work outside of this context.

@Frank BYeah you are right about the search for supplements. I have gotten a bit sucked in at times. I agree that some things appear to work then fade. I often wonder if it’s more of our minds believing in it sometimes and then the inevitable bad day or crash occurs stripping away the prior hopes. I would love to find a baseline of good vitamins and just stick to a plan however I get frustrated and keep seeking. 

@sleepystupidI read about pricetram as well a bit among others. Haven’t gone down that route as there are just too many nootropics to choose from and if you read the descriptions of each they all sound a bit “amazing” yet at what other side effects? Too much ACh causes headaches as well. 

Overall in my discovery leading to this post I basically over did it with vitamins to improve cognitive performance and was getting way too much ACh causing worsened headaches. I already get some headaches that have been remedied by vitamin B2 however adding the increased ACh came really bad Fog and headaches that couldn’t be remedied easily. 

• 1 year later...