QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How is it dating without adderall?

Brit

An earlier poster got me thinking about dating and I’m curious to hear some stories from people who dated post-adderall and how different it is from dating on the meds. 

I was on adderall for 10 years and I’m now 67 days clean. I’m no longer an emotionless monster!! I’ve always had a hard time dating due to a number of things, but I know that adderall was definitely one of those things.  I’m truly curious how different dating is going to be once I’m ready. 

I’m nervous to jump in because I still have some pretty bad depression days and I feel so unattractive right now as I’ve gained 20 pounds from my new-found hunger and well, quarantine. I already had an extra 15 lbs I gained from injuries over last few years. Self-acceptance is definitely something I need to work on before I dip my toe in that pond.... buttttt damn do I crave emotional connection like I never have before! I feel like I have so much more to offer now than I have in a very long time. 

Can’t wait to stories, advice - whatever you guys got for me! This forum truly has been crucial to my success. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure how to answer this, because I’m married. almost the entire first yr clean I had PAWS pretty bad. I “felt” like I was faking feelings even sex was boring for me. basically, went through the motions of our relationship. 

Then my feelings returned and my marriage is stronger for it now.  I also gained some weight, depressed off and on, apathy, the whole thing. I was pretty insecure. I also lost the weight around month 10/11 btw so don’t quit being clean  for that reason. It just takes a while. 

i would think if you meet someone and he loves you for the adderall free version of yourself then dating would be the best thing you could do and not to wait until you feel like it. 

It will be different dating. 
you may not “feel”up for it. However, imagine a person who can love you where you are now )recovering)and it only get better as you heal 

• Like 1

to be honest, dating might have been the key to my successful recovery. right around the time that i quit, i had started dating a new girl and, having ruined my previous long-term relationship with Adderall, i had no intention of fucking this one up. it was honestly the push i needed to finally make the decision.

this was of course my personal experience, and YMMV, but you know that giddy, thrilling energy you have in the first few months of a relationship? turns out it's the perfect cure to recovery blues! it's a type of energy you honestly can't tap into normally. it's the thrill of falling in love - it magically overpowers the fatigue, depression, everything when your around that person. i honestly don't think i would have succeeded without that element in my life at that time. (:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleepystupid said:

turns out it's the perfect cure to recovery blues! it's a type of energy you honestly can't tap into normally. it's the thrill of falling in love - it magically overpowers the fatigue, depression, everything when your around that person. i honestly don't think i would have succeeded without that element in my life at that time. (:

This made my heart so happy! I’m so glad you met someone that made you feel this way and added bonus with helping you on recovery blues!

• Like 1

@Brit I didn’t really date much before or during Adderall. I went on dates every once in a while and had a couple 1-2 month “relationships” but that’s it. I was too worried about myself (for reference I was 26 when I quit and had never been in a relationship for longer than a couple months). 11 months clean I started dating my girlfriend and we’ve been together for more than a year. I’ve never been happier with that part of life.

• Like 2

It was so hard for me to date on adderall. I had no emotions and I was content alone as long as i had adderall. One of the reasons i got sober was to connect more deeply with people. I am now 7 months clean and just started dating. It was a rough start with the depression which is why it took 7 months. I feel better now, i lost the post adderall weight gain and I am slowly getting confidence back. My emotions are back, stronger than I remember and it feels really good connecting again. 

• Like 3

although I get nervous that I will get overwhelmed and need adderall to keep up. the girl im dating loves to be active and travel. I did too when i was on adderall. im hoping my depression won't get in the way because I really like her and it scares me that I might turn to adderall to keep up

• Like 3