QuittingAdderall.com Forums

OK, Cold Turkey is too Hard

Trevor95

So I don't have ADHD & I've been abusing on and off for a year. Before this time around I was clean for 5 years. Quitting this time is much harder. I've been taking 40-60 mg a day. 

Going cold turkey just affects me too much. I just sleep all day and can't focus on my homework. So after a brutal week of no productivity or exercise I decided to start taking 20-30 mg everyday or every other day & feel much better. At least it's better than 40-60 mg a day. Maybe I can taper down. But it's tempting to go back up again.

Is this okay to do?

• Like 1

I have noticed a lot more success from those who quit cold turkey vs a taper. The initial crash is very hard and you won’t be productive during that time, so if you want to go cold turkey find a week or two off to ride it out with nothing you need to accomplish. Maybe an upcoming school break in a month or 2?

You sound like a sporadic user that is feelings motivated. I was the same way and for what it’s worth, I don’t think you’ll be successful with a taper on your own. If you must taper, you’re likely going to need someone to help by holding onto your Adderall and giving you a predetermined dose until you step down to zero. If those both sound like terrible ideas, check yourself because you might not be ready to quit.

• Like 4

Agree with @DrewK15 - the more successful route is usually cold turkey, particularly for abusers. the main challenge with tapering is the discipline required. for some people who have been taking their exact prescribed dose with no abuse for years, tapering may be a viable option, but generally not for recreational users and abusers. as you say, simply having the Adderall and being tempted to go back up - all it takes is one bad day where you take a couple of extra, suddenly you're up all night, then take more the next day cause you have some important stuff, etc. etc.

if you feel strongly about the taper route, and do not have a partner or friend to dispense the dosage, you may want to look a kSafe or similar to time lock your pills.

gl and keep us posted!

• Like 4

Thanks for the responses and support you all! Tried to quit months ago, tapering didn't work then. But this time so far I've only taken 20 mg every other day and feel much better and more disciplined this time around. Going cold turkey for 2 weeks was a wake up call to how dependent I've become on this stuff though.

thanks for reading,

Trevor

• Like 1

I quit cold turkey on January 16th. It was awful. I couldn't sleep.  I finally started taking CBD gummies with 3 mg THC an hour before bed and it has helped. I still have very little ambition or energy. I was taking 60 to 100 mg per day. I just want to get better!!

• Like 2