QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Social Anxiety

tinybuddha

I know we have spoken about this before in older threads, but for me it is one of the worst side effects of adderall that plagues me. I was always social before and in the early yrs with adderall almost made me too social. After awhile on it I isolated and was just being crazy in general at the end. When off of it or even when I lowered my dose to a normal level the social anxiety is still there. I truly hate this and find it so hard to explain to people. I am going to do something fun today with people I like and I am feeling this since of dread. I feel like the whole process of getting ready, and meeting up with people completely overwhelming. Normal stuff I used to do way more then all the time. I actually sometimes develop almost a panic attack. I feel like to the world and partly myself I wonder is this just who I have become inside flacky and lazy? I can't believe I am stressing over a 'positive' thing today. I just feel like wtf is wrong with me!!

You are definitely not alone in that department. I can make a mental processes into 100 parts to take out the garbage. I feel your pain. I often wonder what others think of me when they see my car parked and don't see me for days sometimes. I used to be a socialite, I'm just not there yet. Maybe someday...

• Like 1

Tinybudda, I just had my first "social event" without adderall a couple of weeks ago. And of course even though there was going to be people there I liked. There were also going to be people a this event that I did not feel comfortable around. I am extremely shy by nature. And have had social anxiety my entire life. But of course on adderall I like you became very social. So I know that feeling of DREAD and overwhelming anxiety. Try to put on some your favorite tunes. That helped me from my mind thinking about all the "what if's". or I don't even know your mind can take you anywhere IF YOU LET IT!!!

When I noticed my mind was started to go there- to somewhere in the future that has even happened it was ONLY IN MY MIND"

I would then direct all my attention to whatever I was doing getting dressed... Playing with my dogs.... etc...

of course I did up having a totally crying melt down and having to call my dad - so I let my mind WIN!!!

But guess what I ended up having a GREAT TIME!!!! When I got home and still even now I think I don't know why I FREAKED OUT!!!!

But hahaha I am sure come the next time I have to attend an social function I will be on here expressing the same feelings you are having. So EASIER SAID THEN DONE!!! but I will be thinking about you and sending good and positive vibes your way. I truly believe you are going to feel and be able to connect with you friends in a way in which you could not while on adderall! ENJOY!!!!

• Like 1

After two years sober the post adderall social anxiety is gone, but it took 2 years for it to fully subside

I am still not there.  I have to force myself to do anything social outside of work, even with family and known friends.  Every time I do, it is a small personal victory to celebrate.  On Adderall, I would just lie or make excuses for not going out.  I never was very social, even before Adderall, so that is just something I have to work on. 

• Like 2