QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Creativity??

Cerocero

Hello everyone. 

I recently quit adderal, 5 days ago. I'm a 21 year old male if that matters, and I had taken it for 3 years with sprinklings of abuse thrown in. I quit to regain my creativity, as I am a singer/songwriter. Or at least I aspire to be. I've always wanted to write music, lyrics specifically, all my life. And I couldn't until I found adderal. But now that I've quit, I fear I've lost the ability to write like when I was younger. I thought quitting was supposed to increase creativity? I'm terrified I won't be able to write, and I don't want to go back to adderal, I feel so much better. But if it's what I need to write, I'll go back. It's my dream. Can anyone shed some light?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!  There are quite a few creative types on here that can give you some good advice regarding creativity.  The consensus seems to be that the art produced while on adderall appeared to be genius level work but upon analysis post adderall it turned out to be crap.

You're 5 days into your quit; congratulations on that.  Please consider joining the 30 day challenge.  This is a marathon, not a sprint so don't expect miracles to happen overnight.  Your body is going to take time to recover.  In the meantime, practice your art even if it is frustrating or doesn't seem very good to you because expressing yourself through music is therapeutic.

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome! Yes that's true. I literally thought it was genius level, and I couldn't understand why people I showed it to didn't reciprocate. I'm actually afraid to read it in my non-altered state. I'm very harsh on myself, so I hardly share my music, but on adderal I was so arrogant I showed everyone. I'll definitely get into the 30 day challenge. I appreciate your quick response. This place seems very cool.

• Like 2

5 days is still pretty early. I wouldn't wait for creativity to return it just will. One day you will be like hey that was creative that thing I said/wrote/draw.  You can try writing a song about quitting adderall for now.  I just wrote the chorus for you to help get started. :D   

"Addderall makes me so maderall bout what I haderall  do-do-do-do"  

• Like 2

I'm very harsh on myself, so I hardly share my music, but on adderal I was so arrogant I showed everyone.

This was the most disturbing reflection for me when I stopped. (off 18 days after 3 years) My work was fine, but I realized what an enormous asshole I was being. I was in a high-pressure work environment for most of that time and it didn't really translate well outside it.

• Like 2

Cerocero, welcome my friend and congrats on the start of a healthy, happy and adderall free lifestyle!

I am a creative type too. 70-something days clean. Was on ADHD meds for the last 7 years. I went to art and design school and all that jazz. I was scared shitless of not being able to be creative and do what I did on Adderall but I am painting, drawing, making repeat patterns, and started to do shit for my Etsy shop again and I honestly think they are looking better than ever.

I'm not having a problem with creativity, I'm having more so of a problem with motivation. I'm clearly just not as "motivated" without the meds but I don't think it was natural when I was. I've been getting more work done than normal the last few days with the help of coffee and forcing myself. I just suck it up and do it, do what I got to do. I thought doing stuff (w.o Adderall) would take me way longer but I think it takes me about the same amount of time because of how distracted and side tracked I would get while on the pills.

Don't let the excuse of not being able to do something or be as creative if your not on Adderall get in the way of you quitting because it's only natural to think of excuses to stay on or keep taking the pills. They put a spell on you. You can do anything and everything you did on Adderall on your own, you just have to suck it up and try.

Your really early into recovery so you just need to focus on healing and getting enough sleep. Don't get ahead of yourself. Your brain needs to readjust and get used to being without the meds. I suggest when you have enough strength, add some fitness or mediation to your route, if you don't do that already. I wasn't able to workout the first 2 weeks of quitting but now I go to yoga 4-5 days a week and I'm loving it.

Turn this negative experience into a positive one, I think writing a song about struggle or addiction is a great way to channel your energy. Look at Tom Petty's "Last Dance for Mary Jane."

Your going to be a great song writer, I can feel it.

• Like 3