QuittingAdderall.com Forums

35 days and counting step down method worked best for me

Frank B

I've been on 60 mg for 8 years sometimes on a busy day take even more if your on this form u get it. After trying to quit cold turkey three times and actually being honest with my doctor for once he suggested to step down method. His timeline was a lot longer then I wanted so I did take it upon myself to reduce down to 30mg a day in a 2 month span. When I got down to 20 mg I did that for a week but at this point so little did nothing except make me irratbile. So I then took a big step signed myself up for rehab "not just to get over the hump but had a nasty oxy habit for the last two years". I did not complete the outpatient rehab because my insurance would not cover any of it. To be honest if your thinking about quitting join a NA group because that's basically all they talk about in out patient rehab that can save you a couple hundred or thousand if you stay the entire time.

Where I'm at now .. I attend NA once or twice a week will continue to do so maybe for life it's a good place beats church lol. I have been off addy for 30 days and oxy for 40. I did get prescribes Wellbutrin to curb the depression it does help I can work my ass off again took awhile to get back in the groove. I'll wrap this up but will follow up limited time. After tossing my adderal in the toilet shredding my remaining scripts telling my "new" doctor never to write me another I feel great. I do not miss taking adderal at all. The oxy however still has a pull on me why I will continue NA if I was off addy only I prob wouldn't need that additional support. My advice never try cold turkey it just doesn't work I'm a very motivated person whatever I set my mind to accomplish I normally do. Stopping cold turkey I could not force myself it's not the best way.

Side note taking addy I feel is like a baseball player taking steroids. Whatever your good at gets amplified on addy but u cannot take 100% credit just as Barry Bonds and his home run record. After several years of taking it will lose its effectiveness and you will know it's your time to stop. If you do not and try to get even a higher dosage your putting yourself at risk for a heart attack especially if your over 30. When you decide to stop be honest with your doctor I tried before but hid the truth from him knowing I might fail and Jones for my regular script dosage. Telling my doctor was a no going back step sure I can possibly find another doctor willing but that's a pain in the ass.

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing this.  Most people need to take the cold turkey route when it comes to adderall, but you are the exception to that rule.  A lot of people come on here seeking advice for tapering and if it works with anyone-- most people here say no, it usually doesn't work.    So, thank you for sharing this for all the newbies!

HI Frank,

Congrats are you quit!!  Sounds like you are doing great and have a really good support system in place.  I am a firm believer in you have to find what works for you.  If tapering does the trick, then great!  Hope you continue to keep us posted along the journey.  

Cold turkey did not work for me but going on the long cut down timeline from my doctor was ridiculous as well to me. Also I'm stopping the Bupropion XR the one thing I started to enjoy after stopping adderal was eating. That ended couple days ago severe heartburn which I never had before and my appetite was next to nothing again like on addy. Looked up the side effects of Buprion XR and that was a major side effect doctors leave out. Plus hair loss , liver failures a list of great things this drug can do while giving minimal results for depression a day in the sun will do more for you then this toxic pill.

• Like 1

There are many people on this forum who quit cold turkey. Saying it can't be done is inaccurate and misleading. Great job tapering, and I am glad that it worked for you.

I quit oxy cold turkey did not have the same effects as adderal cold turkey each person is different. From the research I've done online which makes me a Doctor ., Dr. Evil it seems the people who actually should have been prescribed adderal can easily quit cold turkey. People like myself who really did not have a ADHD problem yet prescribed the medication quitting cold turkey is very difficult. The step down method was the best route for me if someone is having a hard time doing cold turkey then try the step down. First step is informing your doctor and if he has some wacky two year plan id be way more aggressive.

I really can't beleive Jan 4th will be 6 weeks addy free I've really felt a spike in energy the last couple of days also libido is coming back big time. Nothing is worth staying on adderal for life it's no way to live. Going through NA is great but they are ill prepared for the adderal bombshell that is about ready to explode. So many kids who are now hitting their 25-30 yr age group were all raised on this stuff and will want to quit. Some adderal outreach program should be established in cities. To put some one in a room that has been prescribed adderal with a strung out herion addict is not always the best therapy. To tell the adderal person that should never drink again because they are a addict seems a little narrow minded. Addicts have no self control at all if you take 60 pills in two days of your script then yes you are a addict. If you take your meds as ordered by doctors but can't stop are you really on the same level? This all or nothing attitude towards drugs / alcohol usersI beleive keeps many adderal addicts from seeking help.

"Little by little you will build yourself back, stronger than ever, out of brick and mortar instead of glass. It will take a long time for you to find and rebuild your confidence and drive again. But from day 1 onward you will feel yourself drifting towards your true passions, your true abilities, and your true destiny." I like this passage gives inspiration to keep going even when things seem bad. It's been odd some days I can get my day going accomplish tasks others sit and do nothing. My doctor tells me I should wake up go for a run not sit down the entire day to rest. I find that amusing since he is overweight himself surely does not practice what he preaches. It's sort of like so if I don't then I'm a failure? I've been battling this substance for years working my body and mind to death can't I be lazy awhile during recovery?

Congrats to you. I'm currently tapering from almost 9 years of being on this crap. I thank god I never went above 30mg, even when I knew 30 wasn't working 'as much or anymore'. I tried quitting cold turkey and failed, wasn't ready to quit yet. I think this time I'm really ready and want it more.

I dropped from 30mg to 20mg. This is my 3rd day on 20, and I already feel the brain fog :/

My dr has me on 20mg for 2 wks, 15mg for 2wks, 10 mg for 2wks, and 5 for 2 wks..

kinda worried I'm still gonna feel brain foggy when this 2 weeks on the 20 is up.. And dropping down to 15 worries me. I know you're suppose to take one day at a time, but it's worrisome I guess...

Congrats to you. I'm currently tapering from almost 9 years of being on this crap. I thank god I never went above 30mg, even when I knew 30 wasn't working 'as much or anymore'. I tried quitting cold turkey and failed, wasn't ready to quit yet. I think this time I'm really ready and want it more.

I dropped from 30mg to 20mg. This is my 3rd day on 20, and I already feel the brain fog :/

My dr has me on 20mg for 2 wks, 15mg for 2wks, 10 mg for 2wks, and 5 for 2 wks..

kinda worried I'm still gonna feel brain foggy when this 2 weeks on the 20 is up.. And dropping down to 15 worries me. I know you're suppose to take one day at a time, but it's worrisome I guess...

I think your doing it the right way others say cold turkey but no doctor will tell you it's the best method from long time use. The thing I need to do is get a routine being self employed is a double edged sword if I have work I will do it but if it's slow I'll be a lazy ass. Adderal makes routines non important you can start a task at 6pm take your med be up until 1am no problem. I wish a stop adderal support group was available like AA or NA it's a epidemic that's really just being overlooked I think the gov loves for us to be on this makes us busy worker bees and question very little.

Well been six weeks not going to lie I'm still in a funk. It seems weird a two weeks ago I had more motivation I don't know if it's from the lack of adderal or just depression. Returning to the adderal is no longer a option but feel like if I continue like this I won't want to live at all. I know it's selfish and just talk but really just fucking mad at myself I have tons I should be doing but just do the minimum. Whatever good talk nobody cares

Peaks and valleys, I need to quit feeling sorry for myself it was my choice to take this drug knew it wouldn't last forever now it's time to pay the piper. It just gets frustrating getting plenty of sleep eating right but in the mornings I'm a lazy procrastinating worthless piece of shit I hate it!

I signed up at my local ymca today I used to work out before adderal but never did much on it mostly because I was keeping my self so busy with projects. Plus when I work out I push myself hard scared on adderal my heart would explode. Anyways did some running hit some weights I feel so much better I'm not sure why I dreaded working out I like doing it just that first step back in the gym always the hardest. Really hope this will get myself headed in the right direction I need to focus on getting work new clients etc but been such a lazy ass. If I had a big cushion of money I could chill more on getting back but right now I have a ton of bills two kids in private school and no help from my spouse with any income. I blame a lot of my money issues on addy I got so wrapped up in worthless side projects I was not focused on finding jobs to earn good income.

I can so relate... 

I used to think adderall made me more productive and financially secure... LIE LIE LIE

This is what my addiction wanted me to believe

In reality I was spending way above my means, had two eviction notices, had my car towed for unpaid parking tickets. 

I was a wreck financially, emotionally, physically.  My work assignments were always turned in late because I hyper focused on stupid details no one really cared about anyway. 

Now, at 9 months off adderall, I finally have my finances under control.  I always thought that my boss would notice that I am not being as thorough as before, instead I was told that I've been more consistent and "focused" during 2015  than ever before. 

Quitting is hard in the beginning but it is truly rewarding 

• Like 1

I can so relate... 

I used to think adderall made me more productive and financially secure... LIE LIE LIE

This is what my addiction wanted me to believe

In reality I was spending way above my means, had two eviction notices, had my car towed for unpaid parking tickets. 

I was a wreck financially, emotionally, physically.  My work assignments were always turned in late because I hyper focused on stupid details no one really cared about anyway. 

Now, at 9 months off adderall, I finally have my finances under control.  I always thought that my boss would notice that I am not being as thorough as before, instead I was told that I've been more consistent and "focused" during 2015  than ever before. 

Quitting is hard in the beginning but it is truly rewarding

[/te

We'll im able to work out every other day even though I have weights etc joining a gym gets me out of the house and seeing others work out hard pushes me to go harder. I'm still avoiding task I should be doing for my buisness but I can run up my cc a couple months get better vs giving in I feel my drive getting better everyday so I know it will come back .

• Like 1