QuittingAdderall.com Forums

At the dreaded 3 month mark.. sex drive? Where Art Thou?

duffman

Hey guys,

I'm currently 3 months clean from taking any form of stimulant medication after having taken a large dose of vyvanse/dexedrine/adderall for 5 years straight (no days off). What I've gathered from previous posts is the 3 month mark is a pretty shitty milestone. The three biggest problems I'm currently experiencing are: 

1) Weight gain- This is to be expected. I feel like I'm putting on a fair amount of body fat despite being in a caloric deficit and exercising ~6 days a week. My goal here is to maintain my current weight, as losing weight while detoxing from a stimulant medication is a pipe-dream. 

2) Sleep- I'm not sleeping well at night.. which isn't fun because I'm pretty fatigued throughout the day time. I believe it's getting better (or at the very least not getting any worse). I've taken Melatonin for the past 8 years so my body pretty dependent on that stuff by now. I'm also getting some night sweats now which may or may not be related to the withdrawal. 

3) Sex drive :(((- This is my least favorite. I've become uninterested in having sex and when I do try.. well.. it can be pretty dysfunctional, if you catch my drift. 

I understand the first two are pretty common for an Adderall withdrawal at the 3 month mark, but I see little mention of sex drive being an issue. In fact, an INCREASE in sex drive is to be expected according to this site. Can withdrawal from stimulant medications produce a decrease in sex drive? If so, when (if?) does it get better? Thanks for any help with this matter, as it's causing my relationship a great deal of stress lately. 

Adderall produced a boost in sex drive for me (while I was on it).  I think this is common for men.  So when you stop, predictable results ensue.  

Congrats on 3 months clean!  It is a strange time, as you still are still dealing with recovery problems, yet you are clean enough to be able to look back clearly (with horror) at how much adderall has damaged your life.  It's a tough time, but during my last stretch, it did start to get better (WAY BETTER) around 5 months.  And I started to feel like a superhero in comparison.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about the sexual dysfunction issue, and I can share some awkward details which hopefully will lend some insight.

I'm looking forward to future milestones, because I seem to be feeling worse at month 3 of recovery. I'm glad to hear things start turning around at 5 months. Without these forums, I would've relapsed by now after having my doctors lecture to me that the Adderall should be out of my system within 3 days, and I should be feeling better by now. I can push through my current pain knowing it will dissipate with time. 

Today is an off-day. Being a logic-driven individual, I would usually try to figure out why I'm having an off-day and attempt to fix it. This is where the "just take one Adderall today and continue with the detox tomorrow when you're feeling more up to it" thought process would come into play, and that's a dangerously difficult mindset to try to stave off. Now, I'm learning to just accept the fact that some days will be off-days because my brain is attempting to restore homeostasis with all my neurotransmitters. I am hoping that these off-days will become less and less frequent as time passes however. 

I think the improvement in sex drive may be mainly for women.  I think it has a lot to do with the emotional requirements for women to have sex.  No emotional desire=no sexual desire for a lot of us ladies.  Adderall, therefore, causes sex drive to go down for us.  When the emotions return, so does desire to be intimate.  I am no expert...just a theory of mine.  Men are completely different, so I can see how the removal of Adderall would cause different issues for y'all.  

As for the weight gain, your metabolism has been knocked back to sloth times...even if you were not one before Adderall.  It takes time to rebuild it.  Without Adderall, you will never have a hummingbird's metabolism again.  However, you can be a normally functioning human being.  It just takes time and effort. Stick to the exercise and eat right...you will be there before you know it!

Great job on 3 months.  It was my most difficult time, as well. 

• Like 2