QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Do you ever regain the feeling for love?

Frank B

Just curious I'm not sure if it's because I've been in a horrible relationship or years of adderal but I really have no desire for love or lust in a relationship. I love my children and family of course but you know that feeling like you first meet someone you really like and fall in love? I forgot what that is like and think if I met the person I would fall in love with pre adderal I would not know it. I'll be honest I'm still sort of in a "relationship" but it's only because we have a child together this woman has stole from me lied so many times never cheated that i know about probbably has lol. I can't tell even if she was out of my life if the ability to fall in love is a possibility because of this drug side effects. I know she needs to go the situation is not that easy kick her out she gets a crap section 8 apartment puts my child in danger or put up with her staying here that's how bad my life is that's why I struggled with taking adderal and pain killers. I'm strong enough now not to ignore the problem with drugs looking for answers beleive me.

• Like 1

I had this feeling once so I know it's possible.  It was about a month after I relapsed last year.  When we were together, adderall didn't exist to me.  I was pretty down in the dumps and it lifted me to the clouds like I didn't even think possible.  It was short lived but my heart still smiles whenever I hear from her.

As far as the ability to be sexually intimate with someone, i worry about this all the time, but still don't know.  I suspect the drug to be damaging in that regard, to males anyway.  I have faith that time will heal however.

On a side note, you are still a hero to me Frank your child is lucky to have you man.  Your story is inspiring.

I disappeared from this site for a while and when I come back and am glad to see you're still pressing forward racking up days.  Keep up the awesome work. 

Thanks for the reply I still have sex and all but no love or caring about her but don't know if I would anyone at this point. Defiantly damped my appetite could care less if I do or don't most of the time. Which with her isn't a bad thing she has nothing to offer me I can't live without.

My answer to the topic question is no.  But I never had the feeling for love in the first place.  I am Ace (asexual orientation) meaning I do not experience sexual attraction to others.  At one time, I thought that after quitting Adderall, I would somehow gain a desire for love and find myself in a relationship and everything would be just fine.  But only a couple of years ago, I finally accepted my asexuality and the reality that I will most likely never find a partner during this lifetime.   I doubt my Adderall addiction had anything to do with this, however.

• Like 1

I maybe need how to love myself and life first I guess. My focus off adderal again has swung back to work work mentality but part of that is being in the hole finically and making up for all those weeks doing nothing first coming off adderall. I'm not staying up all night working on meaningless self glorfied projects but I'am busting ass during the day doing what makes me money and happy helping others in my job. As for the weekends I just don't wanna do much hope that changes. I look back at that adderall person working like a mad scientist for countless hours in my garage like a totally different person almost a monster. Part of me is jealous of that guy and all he could do another part thinks what a fucking idiot wasting away his life to prove he can do this or that. Each day away from my quit date I know that I'm growing stronger and now I start to feel again everything I do was for a reason good or bad and my self destiny was never to fail in life. If it was I would not have motivated myself to stop that drug induced wild roller coaster ride.

• Like 2

Love after adderall is so much better.  You can actually be present and real in a relationship.  You are not living in the constant fear or guilt of your addiction.  

On adderall, your moods are up and down non-stop.  It's hard to give love and be loved when you are an emotional train wreck all the time.  

Sounds like you're in a bad situation, Frank.  I feel for you.  But I can guarantee you there is love after adderall and don't lose hope.  Maybe finding possible further solutions for the situation could help.  A way to keep your child safe without having to be stuck in a relationship with someone you are not in love with.  I'm sure there has to be a way.  You don't have to stay miserable indefinitely.  

• Like 1

I think it is possible.  It's different for everyone and with every relationship, but adderall numbs you emotionally.  It numbed me to love and destroyed relationships.  

I have experienced some of the most intense experiences with love post-adderall.  Some of my biggest heartbreaks, too.  Quitting re-opened me to experience connections to other people, and to value my relationships more.  Quitting, I could actually feel love and emotions again.

Sorry to hear you're in this situation.  Keep your head up and know that you might meet someone any day.  And now that you're quit, you'll be more open to that person than you were before.

• Like 3

Frank, it's crazy how I feel the exact same way you are describing. I worry that I won't ever be able to feel that way about someone again. I haven't been intimate with anyone in over a year and I have no desire to any time soon. Not interested in dating or anything like that right now either. I can only hope that eventually I will be in a place where I don't feel this way anymore. It's no way to live, really...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Adderall sucks all of the love chemicals out of our brains and spends it on useless tasks! I know we'll be able to love again because our brains will heal and our dopamine and serotonin levels will be back to normal. God I hate Adderall so much. I ruined some wonderful relationships with girls that I could have married because I was an insensitive prick. 

I have so many regrets about relationships when I look back on my 4 years on Adderall. All of the regrets involve people that I hurt. I don't regret the experiences I had on it though, let's be honest, it was a lot of friggin' fun at the time, but at what cost to my relationships? We're all payin' the piper I suppose. I'm really glad I'm not alone in this experience, you all are truly the best!

• Like 2