QuittingAdderall.com Forums

So Annoyed

NotToday

So I went to see a new psychiatrist today. I was completely honest about my history of substance abuse, but told him about my struggles with depression, anxiety, and inability to manage my life since getting off adderall. While I had intended to say I wanted to try Wellbutrin, when he said the medication he was prescribing would not cause weight gain, I decided to give it a try. He gave me a two week sample and made a follow up appt at that time. Soooo I lookup this medication (Vraylar) when I leave, as it turns out it's an antipsychotic that they give to ppl with bipolar and schizophrenia. On top of that's, it's still under patent $1200 a month, $300 after insurance. Are they fucking crazy? I seriously have no faith anymore. They are just pushing the drugs that the vendors bring in... ugh! Calling back tomorrow and telling them to just give me the Wellbutrin! Fingers crossed because I really don't feel like having to wait another month to get in somewhere else. Ok rant over 

• Like 1

Right! Honestly the more I read about this shit the more mad I get. He referred to it as a 'mood stabilizer' and said he gives it to females because it doesn't cause weight gain. It actually causes a TON of weight gain and pretty much should never be used as a first line treatment for depression because of how serious risk the side effects are, including BRIAN VOLUME LOSS! This particular drug's trials for depression already FAILED. Like wtf, does he just want to use me as a Guinea pig? He probably thinks my quality of life is so bad right now that it doesn't even matter.  I am so disgusted, I called the office and flipped out. What's worse is now i do sound crazy, and they will just say I have depression with psychotic features and need this shit. Anyways, they said I will hear back after 5... UGH!!!

• Like 2

Youre not crazy, they crazy. The ego maniac doctors partially responsible for your current life situation by prescribing you amphetamines are crazy. 

Props for doing your research and taking responsibility before going along with anything. 

• Like 2

I just see my regular doctor and basically I diagnosed and prescribed what I needed. It's sad but they just ask what do u want to be on? Be like me going to a house with a no cooling call telling the customer,  "Just pick out a random part from my van it should fix your problem." 

• Like 3

Lol! It really is ridiculous. I should have just seen a GP, but if I'm being honest I've been scared about any damage I may have done from all the years of abusing adderall and the heavy drinking so I have been avoiding it. Sooner or later I'll need to face the music and get some tests done. Before I quit, when I would wake up my organs just literally did not feel right... idk... I don't notice it anymore but it still has me freaked out..

At this point, I trust the people on this forum more than any prescribing "professional" out there. I would do like Frank says and find a doctor that will prescribe what you want after doing your own research. They don't care about anything except making money. It's just the way the entire system is set up. That's how I got my Adderall when I was hooked, I just went to the psychiatrist that would give me whatever I wanted. 

• Like 2

So true, I honestly don't even know why I gave him the benefit of the doubt after everything that's happened. I actually work for the same healthcare organization that this doc is employed by, so I guess I kind of wanted to believe that it would make him want to do the right thing. I just feel stupid now..

I heard back from the office. The doctor refuses to prescribe me Wellbutrin because he says I am bipolar. I've never had a manic episode in my life so now I am trying to figure out what I said that gave him that impression. I told them to forget it and have requested a copy of my charts from medical records. Annoyed that now I have to dispute this diagnosis. All of my in network providers are on the same EMR so I'm going to try and get it removed before I see my PCP. FML

There are so many things wrong within our society...due mainly to the lack of both character and the respect of human dignity. Im so sorry you are going through this. Its deplorable. :(  In the mean time there are many docs with solid character and hearts that genuinely want to help you. Its great that you seek out new docs to help you achieve overall happiness and well being. It's really quite brave and have I the deepest admiration for you and anyone who gets on their own road to recovery. Don't give up :)

• Like 2