QuittingAdderall.com Forums

a mom tired of being tired

Momoffadderall

Hello!

I was prescribed 10xr amphetamine salts about a year ago. I reached out to a doc because I felt like I was not excelling at my very competitive job in sales and my responsibilities as a wife and mom of two young kids (who is?) I’m a naturally a forgetful and unorganized person, but I’ve always been a go getter and I excelled in school without being medicated (except for the occasional borrow from a friend cram sessions).
I felt like a super human on adderall when I tried it in the past.

Over a 10 minute zoom call I had my diagnosis as ADD (no hyperactivity) and a prescription.  I promised myself I wouldn’t take more than 10mg and I’d be very careful - this would be my answer to “getting it together” and being successful at all things. 

it was great for a while- I quickly lost 8 pounds despite zero exercise and I started crushing it at work. My little magic pill took away the hangover I should have gotten from the 3-4 glasses of wine I was drinking at night to come down.  It worried me when my Apple Watch would alert me of an alarming heart rate but It didn’t happen too often so no big deal. Well, tale as old as time, it started to lose its effect recently. Over the long weekend in the mountains, I decided to take a break so I could reduce my tolerance. Day 1 I was exhausted! I could not keep up with my kids energy and just wanted to sleep instead of play with them on our vacation. It breaks my heart to write that. I’m tired of being tired if I don’t pop a pill. 

I started googling and found some inspiration about quitting. (Especially loved reading about @veeshoney on instagram) I’m finishing up day 5. Im still very tired and just going through motions at work. Im about to start a new job in a few months and I’m not going to lie, I heard the voice in my head tell me that I should start back up again. No way will I be successful in my new job without it. 

posting here for support to keep going. Any other mammas out there? 

• Like 2

@momoffadderall Welcome to the site. I'm not a "mama" but I'm a dad and husband to a mama that was on adderall and vyvanse for years. Little over 8 years. I'm currently day 12 with numerous quits in the past that didn't work out for some dumb excuse I would come up with.  Thankfully she has around 4 months off everything and in that time I've seen the most amazing transformation in her (positive change).  Her mood and outlook on life and the way she laughs is just so amazing... It's almost like she's glowing again.  We've been together since 2008 so we know what each other was like pre-stimulants and knew what was there.

She recently got a new job where she is busy the moment she clocks in till she clocks out, on the phone and dealing with customers in person.  She knows meds would've made this job way tougher and has no desire to go back on them. I'm so thankful for that.  She said if she got this job 5 months ago (while still taking stuff) there would've been no way to quit adderall and still perform at work... needless to say, employment wise quitting was the best thing for her.

We do have a child that is almost 10 and there were so many times we would lay in bed on the weekends recovering from a long week or a Sunday recovering from a long Friday and Saturday night of partying. So many regrets and time wasted but we're looking forward now and not looking back.  She's definitely more connected and our son can sense that too. Together we get all the chores done around the house and his homework is done and not overly thought out.  She still hates laundry tho...like really hates it but she forces herself to work on it and then bam its done and she's chilling again. lol.  

We were on high doses for years and it took her about 4-6 weeks to feel like she's doing good again....the first month was sluggish and rough for sure but only time can heal the damage this drug does.  Given your brief history of taking it and dose, along with this being your first time quitting it, I'd say around day 21 you're gonna feel a change and not so worn down.  That's from my experience and reading stories on here for years. But everyone's different obviously...just trying to show support and give you some light at the end of that tunnel your in at this moment.

Best advice would be to continue on your journey of quitting. Taking it longer only prolongs the recovery from it and more damage (physically and mentally) that it causes you and everyone around you.  Eventually you will have to quit if you cherish your life and it sounds like you do!!!  Theres no time like the present!!

Best of luck!!! Keep us posted!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ahh, that makes me so happy to hear! And I completely hear you that eliminating alcohol helps the recovery process. I am, however, taking small doses of THC/CBD edibles to help with the anxiety and that has been helping tremendously. I just want to get to your point and not look back, even when my biggest trigger hits: a new job! Thanks for replying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Krae19! It's been 27 days for me, and I have to say I have more good days than bad right now. I still feel the triggers every morning but usually by lunch time they have gone away. I also have noticed I am way more patient and present with my kids and am not trying to get everything done around the house like a madwoman. Why did I pressure myself like that so much? Ugh. It's definitely a process, but I just keep going back to how awful the drug started making me feel and being off of it I feel a million times better physically. Congrats on 90 days!!!! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I am a mother of two. My son is 3 and my daughter will be 2. 

I feel ashamed, I have always been super mom. We live a very active life style.. I was also tired of being tired and I fell into the cycle. I do want to stop taking it, I don’t like how I feel when I am on it. I truly feel like I am a zombie with no emotion and I am unable to feel any emotion.. it’s only about what can I do next, what can I clean or what adventures can I go on with the kids. I miss the natural energy I had and the person I was before I started taking it. I am so thankful that my husband is supportive, but stern and honest with me. I truly can’t believe I let myself fall into the habit of taking it and depending on it. I am so much stronger than that, I just feel stuck and I want to be the best mother and wife. 

• Like 1

@CAITLIN3 It won't get easier for you later on down the road if you keep taking stuff...that's for certain. My wife is over 9 months clean after taking it along with me for 8.5+ years (really high 120+mg dosages daily for those last 2 years), along with us consuming an 18 pack of beers every single night we took stimulants just to come down. CRAZY shit to me now but "normal" and necessary it seemed at the time.

In the last 9 months we haven't had any CRAZY arguments or fights, she started a new job after 90 days and has been doing amazing at it and its incredibly demanding. She said she wouldn't of been able to do the job if she was on meds.  She's always been a good mother to our almost 10 year old son but she definitely has a way deeper connection with him, is more patient, and isn't overly focused on household tasks like she was before. I mean its been a 180 for the better.  I will say for the first 60 days things were rough around the house and not getting done like before but now most things are getting back to better...she still HATES LAUNDRY but not many people love it...unless theyre on adderall. lol.

I understand that you have toddlers tho and they are much more demanding, but my wife (along with me) regrets all the time she wasted trying to be a supermom when she should've just been there during those and able to laugh more and focus on the bigger picture.

Thankfully if your husband is supportive and help a little more for a few weeks then things will definitely get better...better to do it sooner than later.

Just my opinion. GOOD LUCK! You CAN do this!

• Like 4

Thank you! I started taking adderall the middle of last summer, I’m not sure why I got a prescription.. I wish they I never started taking it honestly. Between the pressure of work, home life and the never ending cycle I felt lost. 

My husband, children and I live such an active lifestyle.. hiking, biking, being outside everyday if the week. When the kids go to sleep, it’s our time in the gym. I felt like it was truly helping me, but my husband notices a different in me. He says he misses me and that breaks my heart. I need to understand just what you said. Instead of constantly trying to be super mom and the perfect wife/mother. This morning I could barely get out of bed because of how tired I was. It makes me so sad. Are there any tips you have to help with the fatigue? 

• 10 months later...

I’m so impressed with you moms who are doing it/off of it and doing well. So refreshing to read! I still can’t get past what to do in the morning to turn my brain on without my 2.5mgs. I know it’s low but still can’t seem to get going without it and then continue to pop a 2-4 more 2.5mgs throughout the day. Coffee makes me so irritable. Will I get used to it or are there other suggestions of morning routines and or brain activators for us moms of young kiddos? I have 4 under 7 and feel like I’m drowning! Hence why I’m scared to face the exhaustion but so badly want to be done with this. 

• Like 3

You are on a pretty low dose but honestly it’s just a mental game.  Your brain tells you that you need it but you will surprise yourself with what you can actually accomplish without it. Motivation follows action you just got to force yourself to do what you need to do and it eventually gets easier. That’s my experience any way. 

• Like 1