QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What made you quit or want to quit Adderall?

Kimber

I'm curious what made other people quit or think about quitting Adderall.  

Why?  It's hard to find Dr's or medical info that demonize it and so much info hails it, so what made you feel you needed to quit or want to quit?  

AND, if you quit, did quitting rectify your issue or problem?

For me I did have in in the back of my mind that one day I would quit however it wasn't until it was seeming to be less effective and I researched that aspect. Upon researching addderall further I found a lot of bad articles that are pretty scary, there is really nothing you can find that "supports" Adderall health wise.

My doctor believes "I need it" and would likely increase my does and write a script without question if I asked. I have quit (near 4mo now) however it's still a struggle adapting without it so it apparently was doing something and now without it I am still struggling to find normal sleep and a full week without some really low energy days and anxiety. Plus mild tremors since I quit... 

I have zero desire to go back despite the symptoms. If anything can make me feel this bad without it I REALLY don't want to take it! I feel I have made some progress in recovery however the steps are so small that unless I had written a daily journal are hard to pinpoint. I wish I had 

• Like 3

Doctors do not demonize SSRI medications but they should. The sucide risk are very high says it even on the bottle doctors tell patients it's only in very very rare cases. Complete bs doctors care less just quick "fixes" and commissions. Doctors do not care about health they do very little education on any prevention it's only after something happens they claim to have a cure. But normally the cure has so many horrible side effects it leaves you in a worse place. Just listen to commercials for any new drug the hits the market none of them sound like anything I'd ever want to take after hearing the disclaimer. But yet doctors always tell people those risk are very very rare it surely won't happen to you. But of course if it does the doctor will say you knew it had some side effect risk your one of the "rare" ones. People are quick to donate buy a ribbon or whatever to support cancer research. That money goes to pharmaceutical research labs there's a profit based system. Prevention is not their priority finding a drug they can get someone by that will cost a lot is their main goal . How about spending that money towards cancer prevention research? 

Why did I quit? Because I was poising my body and knew it from day one. Has quitting resolved my issues? Well I'm not dead pretty sure the direction I was heading so yes guess it has. If your so gullible to think anyone with ADD or not should have amphetamines daily then you are just overlooking the obvious. 

I looked up some  listed side effects with amphetamines does not even include the long term stuff we deal with. Of course most side effects by the drug companies all claim "rare" "incidence not known" they say these things to give a false sense of security. Must people feel we won't be that one that's someone else, but the reality is if they did testimg for more than one month to get passed by the FDA I'm sure these side effects sure wouldn't be so rare.

The term "Incidence not known" definition 'They know it happened but they didn't keep count. These are usually the ones where a few people have reported it, but nothing was found in controlled studies.' 

That's is bullshit many reported it but drug companies deny it since it did not show in their studies for the FDA 

Here is a list from the drug companies about amphetamines ...

Rare

• Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
  • severe mental changes

Incidence not known

• Agitation
  • blurred vision
  • confusion
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • false or unusual sense of well-being
  • fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • fever
  • headache
  • nervousness
  • overactive reflexes
  • pounding in the ears
  • restlessness
  • shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
  • shivering
  • slow or fast heartbeat
  • sweating
  • talking or acting with excitement you cannot control
  • trouble sleeping
  • twitching, twisting, or uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
  • uncontrolled vocal outbursts or tics (uncontrolled repeated body movements)

Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking amphetamine:

Symptoms of overdose

• Abdominal or stomach cramps
  • dark-colored urine
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • fainting
  • muscle cramps or spasms
  • muscle pain or stiffness
  • nausea
  • seizures
  • sweating
  • unusual tiredness or weakness

( I do want to say I know not all doctors are money hungry ignorant pricks who don't care. Actually have a good friend who is a doctor does a lot of good just spent months in Iraq volunteering helping out victims of war. Now in Florida helping with the hurricane and about to heat to  Puerto Rico . He won't even take  aspirin if he has a headache, never use a antibiotics saw him at home sick for weeks told him take some damn  antibiotics he said no it will pass. I'm sure his patience probably hate him he would hardly ever prescribe anything unless it's the absolute last option.)

• Like 4

Last year when I was 42 I had acute vein failure in some of my leg veins. 

Here is how it went down: One day at work I was sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I could feel a lot of downward pressure in my calves. It turns out the blood pressure induced by Adderall plus sitting at my computer for long stretches literally "blew out" the one way valves that transport venous blood return from the body to the heart. 

There is only one other person on this site who reported the same side effect. She was in her twenties when it happened to her. 

It was scary and painful. Leaky veins made my ankles swell. I had cankles and could barely walk or even sit in a chair without serious discomfort. 

I had both small saphanous veins plus some others lasered shut. It fixed the problem temporarily and I thought I could go back on adderall in a smal dose, but when I did get back on adderall, I blew out more veins in my legs. Then I Had to get both large saphanous veins lasered out on the second go round of treatments.

Treatments and compression therapy cost me approx six thousand dollars in medical copays and deductibles. Funny that I have what is considered "good health insurance" by American standards.  

I have been off adderall for almost 10 months now and I just had a check up. 

My leg veins are stable for now. 

• Like 3

For me, I was pretty much driven to the point where I had no other choice. i had neglected every aspect of my life in order to keep my addiction going, and the reality of the situation came crashing down around me within a matter of a few months.  My ex kicked me out, I maxed out every credit card I had, found myself drinking at extremely questionable hours,  was stuck in a never ending binge/withdrawal 2 week cycle living for my next refill, developed strange health issues, destroyed my teeth and the list goes on and on.... I knew I could not keep the pace for much longer and checked myself into rehab before I lost everything. I wish that things didn't have to get to the point they did, but I truly don't think I would have quit any other way. I DID NOT want to quit, but I also knew the future was looking extra bleak if I didn't. It's going to take me a long time to completely recover from the years of wreckage I created, but I am doing it, one day at a time. Quitting was the best thing I could have ever done for myself, and even in the mess I've created, I truly feel happy for the first time in almost a decade. Life is crazy like that...

• Like 4

On 9/21/2017 at 0:49 AM, Frank B said:

Doctors do not demonize SSRI medications but they should. The sucide risk are very high says it even on the bottle doctors tell patients it's only in very very rare cases. Complete bs doctors care less just quick "fixes" and commissions. Doctors do not care about health they do very little education on any prevention it's only after something happens they claim to have a cure. But normally the cure has so many horrible side effects it leaves you in a worse place. Just listen to commercials for any new drug the hits the market none of them sound like anything I'd ever want to take after hearing the disclaimer. But yet doctors always tell people those risk are very very rare it surely won't happen to you. But of course if it does the doctor will say you knew it had some side effect risk your one of the "rare" ones. People are quick to donate buy a ribbon or whatever to support cancer research. That money goes to pharmaceutical research labs there's a profit based system. Prevention is not their priority finding a drug they can get someone by that will cost a lot is their main goal . How about spending that money towards cancer prevention research? 

Why did I quit? Because I was poising my body and knew it from day one. Has quitting resolved my issues? Well I'm not dead pretty sure the direction I was heading so yes guess it has. If your so gullible to think anyone with ADD or not should have amphetamines daily then you are just overlooking the obvious. 

I looked up some  listed side effects with amphetamines does not even include the long term stuff we deal with. Of course most side effects by the drug companies all claim "rare" "incidence not known" they say these things to give a false sense of security. Must people feel we won't be that one that's someone else, but the reality is if they did testimg for more than one month to get passed by the FDA I'm sure these side effects sure wouldn't be so rare.

The term "Incidence not known" definition 'They know it happened but they didn't keep count. These are usually the ones where a few people have reported it, but nothing was found in controlled studies.' 

That's is bullshit many reported it but drug companies deny it since it did not show in their studies for the FDA 

Here is a list from the drug companies about amphetamines ...

Rare

• Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
  • severe mental changes

Incidence not known

• Agitation
  • blurred vision
  • confusion
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • false or unusual sense of well-being
  • fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • fever
  • headache
  • nervousness
  • overactive reflexes
  • pounding in the ears
  • restlessness
  • shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
  • shivering
  • slow or fast heartbeat
  • sweating
  • talking or acting with excitement you cannot control
  • trouble sleeping
  • twitching, twisting, or uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
  • uncontrolled vocal outbursts or tics (uncontrolled repeated body movements)

Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking amphetamine:

Symptoms of overdose

• Abdominal or stomach cramps
  • dark-colored urine
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • fainting
  • muscle cramps or spasms
  • muscle pain or stiffness
  • nausea
  • seizures
  • sweating
  • unusual tiredness or weakness

( I do want to say I know not all doctors are money hungry ignorant pricks who don't care. Actually have a good friend who is a doctor does a lot of good just spent months in Iraq volunteering helping out victims of war. Now in Florida helping with the hurricane and about to heat to  Puerto Rico . He won't even take  aspirin if he has a headache, never use a antibiotics saw him at home sick for weeks told him take some damn  antibiotics he said no it will pass. I'm sure his patience probably hate him he would hardly ever prescribe anything unless it's the absolute last option.)

100 and 10% agree with you.  I was suicidial on birth control...hmm doctors NEVER mention this when telling you to take, same with Effexor when trying to get off (10000x worse than getting off Adderall). I'm now 100% prescription drug free.  I was a pharmaceutical rep and believe most docs are money hungry ignorant pricks...glad you have a friend that isn't!  Keep him!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 11:23 AM, Subtracterall said:

Last year when I was 42 I had acute vein failure in some of my leg veins. 

Here is how it went down: One day at work I was sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I could feel a lot of downward pressure in my calves. It turns out the blood pressure induced by Adderall plus sitting at my computer for long stretches literally "blew out" the one way valves that transport venous blood return from the body to the heart. 

There is only one other person on this site who reported the same side effect. She was in her twenties when it happened to her. 

It was scary and painful. Leaky veins made my ankles swell. I had cankles and could barely walk or even sit in a chair without serious discomfort. 

I had both small saphanous veins plus some others lasered shut. It fixed the problem temporarily and I thought I could go back on adderall in a smal dose, but when I did get back on adderall, I blew out more veins in my legs. Then I Had to get both large saphanous veins lasered out on the second go round of treatments.

Treatments and compression therapy cost me approx six thousand dollars in medical copays and deductibles. Funny that I have what is considered "good health insurance" by American standards.  

I have been off adderall for almost 10 months now and I just had a check up. 

My leg veins are stable for now. 

Wholly crap.  I'm sorry you went through that, glad your off.

• Like 1

@subtractadderall, I have heard of similar pursuits for adderall, although nothing like your leg vein failures.

From reading members' posts on this site, I have heard of someone experiencing ischemic strokes due to adderall, quitting, then going back and experiencing another more severe stroke.

Then there was the person who experienced seizures, quit, went back and had more seizures.

And someone else who had cardiac issues

And at least a couple of folks who experienced psychosis serious enough to spend time in a hospital mental ward....including my best friend who also went through multiple bouts of MRSA (probably adderall-related) before finally quitting. 

We've all read about the studies where monkeys or mice would choose cocaine over food until they died.  Addiction is an insidious bitch that kills people every minute of every day.  I am just glad that most the people who hang around here have learned that lesson and are getting on with their lives. 

• Like 4

Pretty much hit rock bottom. I knew it was terrible health wise what I was doing for most the time I was doing it but after I lost my girlfriend of 7 years, dropped out and wasted thousands on school, was on the verge of going crazy that I realized I had to stop. It's been five months and still feel pretty shitty. Zero confidence and not much drive to do anything. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If I knew any other way of doing things, I'd still be trying to take adderall. But when I found myself more interested in taking adderall and staring at spreadsheets from work instead of being with friends or family or eating or reading, that was when I knew that I had really, truly lost who I was. 

I never laugh or joke around when I'm high on adderall. My value system got so warped. I used to have really beautiful hair and it's falling out. My ribs stick out. My resting heart rate was 103. I'd grind my teeth at night. I'd go the whole night without sleeping and come into work. I flipped out on my roommates once. During really bad come downs, I contemplated suicide.