QuittingAdderall.com Forums

NA and AA -are they really much different?

oyvey

I have recently been to both NA and AA meetings. I don't drink alcohol at all nor have I ever been drunk in my life, but addiction support is something i wanted and an AA meeting was nearby so I went. It seemed like the NA and the AA were clones of each other with the exception of NA having a darker tone/less friendly vibe{but maybe it's just the ones I have been to}. Has anyone else been to both as well or have a personal preference and if so why? I would chose to go back to AA meetings. Im not knocking any support groups, so please don't take it that way.

My finances family is involved in aa I think it's not helpful for quitting adderal. I'm not down with Jesus is the only way to sobriety and that's what aa is all about. My thoughts are what if you grew up in Iran then Muhammad is the only way out? It's all a smoke screen the will power is yourself! I'm not claiming I'm atheist but I'm a realist and if Jesus comes down to earth tomorrow and says "hey worship me and my father or you'll burn in hell" bet your ass I'd be on my knees quicker then a prostitute at a sailor convention. But we are going off books that have been translated way too many times and rewritten to enrich the leaders of the times so I'm not taking the writings all in without question ( grew up catholic just FYI ) But if you want free coffee and just a way talk to some good hearted people about your problems it's a good place to go nothing wrong with it or u can just join fight club lol. I'm really happy off this junk can't recall being actually happy for a long long time.

AA actually refers to the "God of your understanding." Although it does seem centered around Christianity with prayer, it isn't necessarily. My counselor is Jewish and has been in AA for many years. "God of your understanding" basically means something bigger than ourselves, even if that means you view it as an energy of the universe. There's a lot or positivity in living for something greater and bigger than yourself, in my opinion. While I have been to AA, it's only been 5-10 times. I'm shy by nature, so it's hard for me, but I've actually been considering going back, because I do find I can relate to others. Now that I have a decent chunk of time away from adderall, I need to be reminded of what that addiction did to me and why I don't want to go back to that dark abyss. This site has been and continues to be my AA!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I frequently attended both AA and NA and had an AA sponsor and NA sponsor whom I called every day. I stopped going after a while but I found them to be no different. Addiction is addiction and at the core it's the same with all substance whether it's alcohol, prescription pills or street drugs.

• Like 1

AA actually refers to the "God of your understanding." Now that I have a decent chunk of time away from adderall, I need to be reminded of what that addiction did to me and why I don't want to go back to that dark abyss. This site has been and continues to be my AA!!!

Totally agreed. For me I especially in recent weeks I became worried about myself especially with all the fantasizing about feeling high on adderall again..what really was a wake up call was hearing about Phillip Seymour Hoffman being sober for 22 years then suddenly he goes to rehab because he feels himself about to relapse and then a couple months later he dies from an overdose. After 22 years clean!!! Not to be such a downer but It's a scary thing I guess addicts with clean time have to face is that scary possibility of falling back in.

InRecovery,

I don't know if I forgot or what, but I feel like I didn't know you were involved in NA and AA. What made you quit going to meetings?

The Philip Seymour Hoffman death made me think too. I tell my counselor sometimes how frustrating it is that I ever became an addict. . I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was really sad for me to read a Facebook status from an acquaintance that said something like, while I feel bad that he died, why are so many people talking about a guy who died because he chose to do heroin? I probably wouldn't get it either had I not been through addiction, but it really got under my skin. Anyway, I think it shows us that adderall sobriety requires maintenance.

• Like 2

I didn't "get it" the whole addiction thing. For almost my whole life it just didn't make sense to me. Why don't the people just get the strength and stop? I never realized the physical and mental withdrawal/depression was so strong. Seeing comments recently about this actor dying got under skin as well. Chances are I might have been one of the people throwing stones even a year ago. I too wouldn't wish addiction on my worst enemy even being someone that abused for a shorter period that most on here. I don't think you're ever out of the woods with addiction and it's unfortunate and scary. As much as NA/AA isn't my thing{maybe not just yet}, I'm still glad it exists for those that huge amount of people that do. 

• Like 2

I think people who look down on addicts should try fasting for a few days and see if they don't think about food every waking moment, and watch how their thoughts become consumed with how weak and dizzy and starving they are and how they would give anything for a cheeseburger. I think that would give people a better understanding of what addiction is like.

• Like 4

InRecovery,

I don't know if I forgot or what, but I feel like I didn't know you were involved in NA and AA. What made you quit going to meetings?

The Philip Seymour Hoffman death made me think too. I tell my counselor sometimes how frustrating it is that I ever became an addict. . I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was really sad for me to read a Facebook status from an acquaintance that said something like, while I feel bad that he died, why are so many people talking about a guy who died because he chose to do heroin? I probably wouldn't get it either had I not been through addiction, but it really got under my skin. Anyway, I think it shows us that adderall sobriety requires maintenance.

Yeah I went to at least 100 meetings. I read the book of NA at least 20 times. Then I relapsed. Theres a hard rule that you cannot use and attend meetings at the same time. Before long, I had fell out of it. But the happy ending is that I got sober and found you guys!

What an awful comment about heroin.  I heard an interview with Robin Williams and he said his biggest fear in life was relapsing after all this time clean. He's afraid that one day the drink will call to him and he wont be able to stop himself. 

That just reminded me of this interview I saw with Matthew Perry on his addiction which was really intense and made me cringe because it was on live tv

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-what-matthew-perry-says-when-a-dude-says-his-drug-addiction-is-his-choice-2

• 1 month later...