QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Mothers Day

yeah i think the way other people see it is like

"ok it's been 1 or two months (or whatever) you're clean now, so go get your ass in gear!!!!"

but the journey is soo much longer than that, and complicated.  it's hard i wish I had advice to give

• Like 3

oh and its totally up to you and is a completely personal choice who you want to admit things to.

personally, not a single person in my family knows and i dont think i'll ever tell them.  if they want to judge me for lack of productivity during this time, pardon my language but fuck 'em!  they aren't paying my bills

• Like 1

Thank you so much that really did help. I love what you said, cuz you're right, they're not paying your bills so you have every right. My parents were paying my bills up to about 6 months ago. I cut them off myself. It was the hardest thing i've had to do besides quit drugs. But they were both equally as hard! 

and congratulations for being clean since March 21st. Our sober dates are pretty close together!! :) I'm totally here for you if you feel you're struggling. Message Me :) 

I told everyone that I know.  I even tell strangers.  I posted "my story" on Facebook.  I ruined any chance I had of secretly going back to the pills.  It also helped me to explain away the weight gain.  ^_^  I have actually stopped several of my friends from starting on Adderall!  I am pretty proud of that.  It is not right for everyone, but it is the main thing that kept me accountable. 

• Like 2

Hi Cats,

This is something I've learned the hard way.  I think growing up in AA from a young age taught me I was supposed to be an open book with all my problems and just share everything with everyone.  AA didn't work for me, but it took me a long time to figure that out.  It might work for some and that's great if it does! However, I had to re-teach myself my own way of recovery.

You don't have to share anything about your addictions with anyone.  I don't feel it's necessary unless it's in the spirit of helping someone else with the same struggle.  It's not that we are hiding things.  I think of it more or less like protection.  Why give other people something they can use against you or talk anything other than positive about yourself?  The past is dead and gone.  There is nothing we can do to change any of it.  The only day we truly have is today.  We can work to change the future.  When I look back at my past, I am not proud of a lot of things. But I can rest assure you that without those setbacks, I wouldn't be where  am today.  I can view all my failures as learning opportunities and use them to my advantage.  They were great lessons!  And what about your family?  Do you think they never made any mistakes?  It just seems like you are beating yourself up a lot right now so I stay stop that! :)  You are doing awesome!!  And just remember, the only opinion that really matters is the one we have of ourselves.  As long as that's in good standing, I don't give a crap what anyone thinks!  God bless em! ;)

• Like 3

I love what you said there. It definitely made me re-think what you said about telling someone and that they might use it against you. That's one thing i've always struggled with. Its hard to trust anyone because the friends i've had in my past. But now I've been a lot more open about it, and it even got me to help some people out. If I hadn't said I was a drug addict, they wouldn't have opened up with me. And because I told them I was, I was able to sit and talk with them and completely help them. So since I wrote that post, I now think differently. I now think being open about it just might help more than just myself. Thank you everybody for responding. I am so glad that when I'm struggling I can come on hear and get so much support. Its incredible and I am so thankful <3 :)

• Like 1

Great job!  It does feel good to stop being so self centered.   Adderall consumes you and takes away everything else that might be important.  Other people's feelings don't matter when it is time to rearrange the bedroom or make an excel spreadsheet.  lol, I used to watch Intervention and think how selfish those people are..."those people".  Like I wasn't an addict just because I had a prescription and never abused it.  How's that for irony!  So grateful to be clean and sober! 

• Like 1