QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Rehab Specifically for Prescription Stimulant Abuse

GiveMeWings

Rehabilitation Just for Amphetamines / Meetups Just for Amphetamines

Hello,

Does anyone know if such a thing exists as a Rehab SPECIFICALLY for people addicted to ADD meds? Also, is there an Adderallics Anonymous or some support group that is specifically for stimulant prescription abuse?

I truly believe that prescription stimulant abusers (pushed by a doctor in the first place!) are a different breed, it effects a different personality type, and has very different withdrawal symptoms than from those coming off alcohol or opiates. However, there seems to be nothing out there to help me and I keep failing alone and I so need someone I can identify with. I am so grateful I found this site. 

• Like 1

i'm not aware of any rehab or group that is specifically for prescription ADD meds, though to be fair i haven't Googled it extensively. you can maybe try Meetup.com if you're in a metropolitan area? perhaps someone with rehab experience can chime in here, but i'd imagine that at least the clinicians at these facilities will have the necessary experience to provide professional help.

i can understand why some people feel uneasy about getting help and being grouped together with other types of addicts. it can almost seem intimidating- like your problems aren't as bad as theirs, so they don't take your addiction seriously. can't say that it's not a possibility in some anon groups, but i suspect that you'll find them much more understanding than you think. you can try out a few different NA groups in your area and see which one you feel the most comfortable with.

if you need help, don't let this stop you from getting it.

and of course, we're always here for you (:

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:01 PM, GiveMeWings said:

I truly believe that prescription stimulant abusers (pushed by a doctor in the first place!) are a different breed, it effects a different personality type, and has very different withdrawal symptoms than from those coming off alcohol or opiates.

This is what I thought, too, when I first got sober. I'm almost two years clean now and experience has proved me wrong time and time again. You're an addict, no better or worse than opiate addicts or alcoholics. Adderallics tend to come from wealthier homes (on average), and we face death as a consequence of our addiction far less frequently. But I personally believe that the "personality type" attracted to adderall is one of perfectionism, ambition, grandiosity, and terminal uniqueness. You can find these same traits in heroin addicts and meth-heads. Don't let the class designation trick you into thinking you're special, I fell into that trap for years. Frankly, I think the withdrawal difference is pretty simple. Compared to opiate withdrawal, ours is much less intense, but lasts for much longer. There are obviously physiological/sensational differences, but when you're trying to kick a drug habit I think we have much more in common with crackheads than we'd like to think. You don't need special rehab full of other speed freaks to realize you're a drug addict. You have us, and people who were hooked on meth have pretty similar withdrawal issues. Focusing on similaries rather than differences did me a world of good. Just my opinion, though.

• Like 1

You found it here online. I did go to NA however felt sort of a fraud because sorry I’m not giving up alcohol for the rest of my life. Sure know I should etc but I’m not. That’s not a trigger for me at all to take adderall. My trigger was each and every morning drinking a cup of coffee wanting to kickstart my day to kick ass at my job. Did I drink too much on addy? Yes I did but that was only after working all day then drinking at night still taking addy and working in my shop until the sun came up then back to coffee. Anyways some on here would argue you should quit both believe it’s up to each individual to decide that for themselves. Personally that’s why I never got in real deep with NA but was good to talk to others about addiction. More help should be offered for us but probably never will be so just be glad for this site to help each other out. 

• Like 2