QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Step Programs

addyaddy

Hi adderallics, I know there’s been some discussion about this (I myself have contributed to threads about it), but I’m reaching out again. 

I’m struggling with the 12 step fellowship. I got sober for the first time in AA in 2018. I’ve been to NA, AA, CA, CMA, PA. I so wish there were a place just for me. Meetings are nice and I get stuff out of them, and I do think there is a solution for my addiction in AA. But — it just doesn’t feel like it fits sometimes. I’m jealous of alcoholics who can just go dump their shit at a meeting, unbridled. I am constantly using metaphors and talking around what’s really going on in my life. 

Would anyone support a letter to AA GSO?

Can anyone relate? Is there traction around starting a new 12 step fellowship? Is there a need? Please share! 

xo

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw this post. Kinna shocked because it looks like no one has replied to it? I don't know what it means to send "a letter to AA GSO" - can you elaborate?? -- but I do believe there is a HUGE need for an Adderallics Anonymous group of some sort. I've been to numerous 12-step groups over the years (OA, AA, Al-Anon) and have yet to find my tribe there, but I know I would still like to. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, LuLamb said:

Just saw this post. Kinna shocked because it looks like no one has replied to it? I don't know what it means to send "a letter to AA GSO" - can you elaborate?? -- but I do believe there is a HUGE need for an Adderallics Anonymous group of some sort. I've been to numerous 12-step groups over the years (OA, AA, Al-Anon) and have yet to find my tribe there, but I know I would still like to. 

Wow, this 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:45 PM, Sleepyandsober said:

Hi adderallics, I know there’s been some discussion about this (I myself have contributed to threads about it), but I’m reaching out again. 

I’m struggling with the 12 step fellowship. I got sober for the first time in AA in 2018. I’ve been to NA, AA, CA, CMA, PA. I so wish there were a place just for me. Meetings are nice and I get stuff out of them, and I do think there is a solution for my addiction in AA. But — it just doesn’t feel like it fits sometimes. I’m jealous of alcoholics who can just go dump their shit at a meeting, unbridled. I am constantly using metaphors and talking around what’s really going on in my life. 

Would anyone support a letter to AA GSO?

Can anyone relate? Is there traction around starting a new 12 step fellowship? Is there a need? Please share! 

xo

This is exactly what I was posting when I posted the thread "I wish for more connection" the other day!  I felt embarrassed after I posted it b/c since only one person responded about trying 12 steps (thanks LuLamb!!) I told myself the story that no one really seemed to share the sentiment (which I realize that you articulated much more articulately!)  I too have been to AA, NA, OA, ACA, Al-Anon, EA, EDA, and CODA.  I was sober in AA for 8 years.  But I am also jealous b/c alcohol isn't my thing.  My thing has always been adderall.  When I said I wish for more connection, I meant that I wanted to be able to talk directly about the actual stuff I'm dealing with instead of talking around it like you mentioned so as to not disrupt their singleness of purpose.  I've tried Smart Recovery which I like, but there are no local meetings for me.  I recently found a group I've been participating in via zoom called Recovery Dharma that I've been really enjoying - it is comprised of people from all different programs who come together.  It is buddhist based but you don't have to be buddhist.  (It's a breakoff from Refuge Recovery.)  I am unaware of any actual Adderalics Anonymous meetings - LuLamb I thought u were joking before when you mentioned that.  However, right before I read this post, I actually made a new post in the "Location" tab where I put "Zoom Meeting" because I wanted to gauge interest in whether or not anyone was interested in meeting up via zoom.  I have formed a small book study with the Dharma Recovery group and it's very powerful (but again, no one is talking about the actual same issue as me.)  I am up for a letter to AA GSO, but I feel like that is a more long term endeavor... I'm wondering if anyone wants to make that connection happen now, perhaps as we pursue that route (or not.)  We could do a zoom meeting and pick a text to follow.  Like... it could be 12 step based or not.  I am an addiction therapist so i have a gazillion really great books on different themes and topics that could be good to go through together...  I'd be open to so many things... I'd just love the ability to talk out loud to people struggling with this same actual issue.  I feel a bit vulnerable putting this out there (perhaps it is the anonymonity of this forum that draws most people to it and a zoom meeting would feel too invasive...)  I don't know, I just long for some structure of a program focused on my actual drug of choice and I feel like we could do it formally, yet "unofficially" in the begginning.  (Unofficially meaning not through AA's General Service Office.)  I'm rambling.  Done.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, LuLamb said:

By "a letter to AA GSO" that would be to the general service office of alcoholics anonymous which could be a first step in getting a new 12 step fellowship for adderall officially formed.  However, I'd need to do some research, b/c I don't actually know that all the other "A" groups have gone through AA... like, I think CA and SA etc. formed on their own and formed ultimately their own main offices.  But I'm just going from memory, I could be wrong.  Anyway, I'm not opposed to going the official route as Sleepy was mentioning (whatever the official route turns out to be) but I am also interested in forming a tribe faster than I believe a formal organization could form.  We could follow the literature of NA (or another program) if we wanted but just know that we are all in the same boat.  Just thoughts. 

• Like 1

Oh my goodness!  I was feeling a bit vulnerable when no one had responded, (which is TOTALLY okay) but I just logged on and saw your response!  (For some reason new responses don't consistently pop up in my email.)  So I am definitely interested...  sleepysober.... you may be the only one who has said they definitely want to!  Should we go forward anyway?  What format do we want?  Do we want to agree on a day and time?  We could always try it and have a meeting to iron out the details with those who are interested...

• Like 2

Hey @Sleepyandsober, @LuLamb and @DelaneyJuliette,

A community is something I am soo sooo interested in and think is so lacking for people struggling with ADD meds. This is something that has been on my mind for years now. I sent you all a private message because I would love to be included if a community develops, and I have a ton of resources outside of 12 step programs that originally helped me quit drinking but that I am now using on my quitting adderall journey too.

Thanks again for posting @Sleepyandsober

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 11:31 PM, girl_surrendered said:

Hey @Sleepyandsober, @LuLamb and @DelaneyJuliette,

A community is something I am soo sooo interested in and think is so lacking for people struggling with ADD meds. This is something that has been on my mind for years now. I sent you all a private message because I would love to be included if a community develops, and I have a ton of resources outside of 12 step programs that originally helped me quit drinking but that I am now using on my quitting adderall journey too.

Thanks again for posting @Sleepyandsober

Me too!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...