QuittingAdderall.com Forums

does one day of a stimulant really set your brain back to the beginning?

ally

I am on day 64 without Adderall. I am wanting a Ritalin today I am overwhelmed and have such bad anxiety idk what to do. Does anyone have any info that states ur brain is automatically set back to the first stage by just a little? Doesn't any progress help? Is giving urself a little after doing so well the worst thing ever???

Answers please :/

If you've put 64 days in, you CAN get through this day without it. Ally, if you consider yourself addicted to prescription stimulants, abstaining from use is what it takes to break the cycle of addiction. It can get VERY tough, I know. Plus, getting through trying times when you want it and realizing you can get through it without adderall/Ritalin/Vyvanse...whatever it may be, is going to strengthen your resolve to stay quit and give you confidence that YOU can accomplish things without it. Is quitting your goal? 64 days is still very early in recovery. Things will get better! That's my two cents.

• Like 4

Giving in one time will set you straight back into being comforted instantly by a drug. This will NOT be a one time thing. I am the perfect example. I don't have a lot of time sober at all, but my one time to get over emotional pain/anxiety turned into going overboard VERY QUICKLY. Im back at square one and that source of sadness/stress or whatever you want to call it is still there PLUS the depression of withdrawal. I regret that setback big time. Just my 2 cents. You have this amount of time under your belt, you are far ahead of the game-stay that way. 

• Like 1

Hey girl!

If I were you I wouldn't do it. It would be too tempting to fall back into your old ways. You've been SO strong and good so far. 64 days clean, you go girl, that is AWESOME! I am only on day 10. You can do this, just keep telling yourself that. Your strong and a fighter like the rest of us here.

If you ask me, it is too easy to just pop that little pill. Don't take the easy way out. Remember and remind yourself why you quit in the first place and that adderall is NOT your friend. It is the devil on your shoulder. And your better than it and don't need that shit.

For your bad anxiety, I suggest talking to a friend, doing art, reading, playing with your dog, shopping, or going for a jog or any form of exercise to help relax you and release endorphins…

This article is "How to Release Endorphins: 10 Steps:" http://www.wikihow.com/Release-Endorphins

If you are feeling stressed, it is best to avoid caffeine, which can sometimes add and worsen anxiety.

Maybe run to the health food store and try the product, Calm by Natural Vitality: The Anti-Stress Drink. I really like it but if you take anti-depressants you aren't supposed to take it and mix.

I know it is hard but you can do it. What I've been trying to do is just not think about it and that it even exists. Seriously, I'm pretending like "a" was never even invented. I don't know how long this is going to work but that where my head is at right now. I will do anything to not take it anymore.

Also, think about how you will feel after it wears off and how guilty/shitty your gonna feel, that may make a difference!

Goodluck :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I want u all to know how sweet u were to reply to this topic. I would love to accept the praise from u but i cant, i failed. I was too much of a coward to even read the posts thoriughly. My mind was made up. I relapsed again. I have been clean since february 10th now. But today has been one hell of a day. This past week has been bad. Just checking in to see how everyone else is. Especially u iyvey, did u make it past day 10?!

Is it just me or does it feel like a million times worse trying to quit after several relapses? I do t even feel good about quitting anymire i just feel like a failure..

Ally, you keep putting yourself through the worst part of recovery, the beginning.  You're conditioning yourself to respond negatively to a situation (kind of like Pavlov's dog in reverse).  Quitting once and staying quit is the path with the least pain.  I went back to adderall after 4 months of quitting because it was too difficult for me.  I was resolute to quit the second time, things get better but it ain't an easy thing.

• Like 3

I want u all to know how sweet u were to reply to this topic. I would love to accept the praise from u but i cant, i failed. I was too much of a coward to even read the posts thoriughly. My mind was made up. I relapsed again. I have been clean since february 10th now. But today has been one hell of a day. This past week has been bad. Just checking in to see how everyone else is. Especially u iyvey, did u make it past day 10?!

Is it just me or does it feel like a million times worse trying to quit after several relapses? I do t even feel good about quitting anymire i just feel like a failure..

Quitting for 5 or 6 weeks is no small feat - I wouldn't feel like a failure for that. Those are 5 or 6 long weeks. If you can do that you can quit for much longer.

• Like 3

Thank u so much krax, u know ur the onky person ive heard that from...its hard to feel like ur doing good when everyone in ur life is coming down on u. My boyfriend compkains constantly about how the hiuse isnt clean and im lazy. Its not like im already not upset with myself enough you know? Im just so sick of crying...

And justinw ur right, i just didnt think it would have that much effect ir set me back much by just doing it a day or two...i hope i was wrong and there is an excuse for this laziness

Thank u so much krax, u know ur the onky person ive heard that from...its hard to feel like ur doing good when everyone in ur life is coming down on u. My boyfriend compkains constantly about how the hiuse isnt clean and im lazy. Its not like im already not upset with myself enough you know? Im just so sick of crying...

And justinw ur right, i just didnt think it would have that much effect ir set me back much by just doing it a day or two...i hope i was wrong and there is an excuse for this laziness

Ally I'm sorry you don't have much support. You know my wife was the biggest help for me but I think she got frustrated too, she was just happy I wasn't grinding my teeth and flipping out all the time.  Your physical recovery gets better and better, but it takes 4 months for most of us. After that, the psychological recovery is very non-linear, real up and down, so you have to be ready for that. I agree though that you've done the hardest part, those first 4 weeks or so are the toughest physically.

On an unrelated note I was born in Rockford.

When does this non linear stage hit? And be ready...how? I didnt know it was going to get worse!!!

How ling have u been clean now krax??

I quit on November 15, 2012. On January 25, 2013 I slipped up and took some one day, but none since then.

I think the anxiety started in the second month. The second and third month was tough.  My energy really came back last March, and even more and more in the summer.  I feel now like I remember feeling before I took ritalin.