QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Where did you go to detox/rehab to get clean?

Katers

Did you detox at home? In a hospital?  At a friends?  What was it like?  Tell your story~

I detoxed at Silver Hill hospital in CT. I detoxed from benzos as well as adderall so I was put on a ton of valium to begin with.  This hospital is/was amazing.  The taper was smooth, the staff was amazing, and they treated us addicts like people.  (I love spreading the word about Silver Hill to anyone on the east coast who is thinking about detoxing or doing a 28-day program.  If it weren't for SH, I would not be sober today.)  In 2011, I detoxed in MA at Adcare, which was the most painful experience of my life (do not go there!)

Silver Hill showed me that I could live without adderall.  I decided their 28-day transitional living program, which was focused on DBT.Their staff is amazing. Their doctors, nurses, counselors, psychologists are all top-notch.  Their program/education is packed with great therapy and tools to use during early sobriety.  They keep you busy. Their food is amazing.  They have yoga :-)

If you'd like more info, message me!

• Like 2

I began detoxing at home on Saturday of a 4 day weekend, so I had more or less 3 days of lounging around watching netflix and eating comfort food.  When work started up again on Monday, I literally chugged a massive pot of coffee and showed up at work each day to put in my minimal required face time and then high-tailed it home and went straight to the couch to have more snacks and vegetate in front of....  yes more netflix.  Glad they have so many shows. 

Whenever I had progress update meetings I would just bullshit things that I hadn't actually done.  I would spend 10 minutes skimming research papers and try to bluff that I had read them carefully in order to justify how I was spending my time.  Fortunately the person I report to likes his booze in the evenings, so he called in sick for many of our meetings anyway so that made it easier for me to lay low.

Nice to see you on the forum Katers, 6 months is really awesome keep it up!

• Like 2

I had a 4 day weekend to start and I began detoxing at home for the first few days and just binged watched netflix and ate comfort food.  When work started up again I literally chugged a massive pot of coffee and showed up at work to put in my minimal required face time and then high-tailed it home and went straight to the couch to have more snacks and vegetate in front of....  yes more netflix.  Glad they have so many shows. 

Whenever I had progress update meetings I would just bullshit things that I hadn't actually done.  I would spend 10 minutes skimming research papers and try to bluff that I had read them carefully in order to justify how I was spending my time.  Fortunately the person I report to likes his booze in the evenings, so he called in sick for many of our meetings anyway so that made it easier for me to lay low.

Nice to see you on the forum Katers, 6 months is really awesome keep it up!

@grumpycat- I love your story!  Thanks for sharing :-) It's kinda fun to look back and think about the first few days of sobriety and how far we've come.  I'm honestly always so amazed when I hear people's stories about detoxing at home and doing it on their own. They takes tremendous strength and willpower.  I could not have gotten clean without a program telling me what to do, when to do it, etc.  

We're pretty close in our sobriety time!  Keep up the good work :-) This past week I was thinking about going back to addy to control my weight----but then I found this forum, and I've eliminated that thought from my mind.  

• Like 1

I went to McLean Hospital near Boston to detox. They were awesome. They worked with me to taper my Adderall dose and after that, I transitioned to a dual-recovery 30 day residential program for eating disorders and addictions in Philadelphia called The Renfrew Center (one of the reasons I got addicted to Adderall was to lose weight as part of an eating disorder). The Renfrew Center was good for my eating disorder, but their addiction program was paltry. 

• Like 2

I went to McLean Hospital near Boston to detox. They were awesome. They worked with me to taper my Adderall dose and after that, I transitioned to a dual-recovery 30 day residential program for eating disorders and addictions in Philadelphia called The Renfrew Center (one of the reasons I got addicted to Adderall was to lose weight as part of an eating disorder). The Renfrew Center was good for my eating disorder, but their addiction program was paltry. 

@psychgirl617 - so glad you shared this.  I, too, was using adderall for weight, basically using it to put my eating disorder on 'hold.' Since being off of Adderall, I've again struggled with food addiction and body image.  Good to know about Renfrew. I actually first heard about Renfrew from an HBO documentary called THIN. :) You should check it out if you haven't already seen it.  I'm also familiar with McLean's because I used to live just outside of Boston near Belmont, MA, and people always said how nice their program was.  Do they only have a detox unit, or do they also have a residential 28-day?  I detoxed once in 2011 at Adcare (a hospital outside of Worcester).  It's absolutely terrible so stay far away.  If you ever end up needing a good 28-day program for addiction...check out Silver Hill in CT (since you're in Mass)--it seriously saved my life.

• 2 weeks later...

@Katers: I actually didnt go to their detox unit. I was put on their short term unit because I was suicidal and had a lot of medical complications as a result of my Adderall addiction. They were fantastic there. They don't have a 28 day residential program that I know of, but they do have a 2 week residential program associated with McLean called Naukeag and I went for a few days but didn't stay as they had no concurrent eating disorder treatment available there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations for treatment centers in Seattle WA? I would prefer an inpatient place where I still have access to my phone and internet. When I was on adderall, I worked out a lot...no eating all day long but usually get super hungry at night. I binged/ purged every night. Now that I am off, I am gaining tons of weight. I have no energy to work out and I binge/purge all day long. I am about to relapse and really need to be monitored.